I have no personal wisdom to impart on work-life balance. However, those of you who know me well know that I can offer many ironic anecdotes. The challenge is to achieve balance as things continually change throughout one’s career and life cycles. As busy professionals (aren’t we all?), we necessarily struggle with balance. Careful observers might say that we are always out of balance. At the present stage of my life and career, I now cajole younger colleagues that “frantic” is a lifestyle choice!
BU and BUMC Resources related to Personal Life:
- Health Promotion Events
- BUMC Faculty Staff Assistance Office
- BU Faculty Development and Diversity, BUSM DOM: Work/Life Balance
This site provides information about resources on the Medical Campus, as well as links to external sources on a variety of topics.
- Maternity Leave
- Massachusetts Maternity Leave Act (MMLA)
- Draft: New faculty policies for childbirth & paid workload reduction for parents
- Faculty Staff Assistance Office
- Equal Opportunity Office
- Health and Wellness
- For Parents
- Buying or Selling a Home
- BU Center for Excellence & Innovation in Teaching Faculty Development: Time Management
- Time Management for Faculty
- Time Management for New Faculty
FSAO offers a free, confidential counseling and referral service to BU faculty and staff and their families. The service is for people who may be experiencing difficulties which affect their personal lives or work performance. The services are provided in a caring and respectful environment, on both the Charles River and Medical Campuses.