Graduate Certificate in Public Health
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health includes high-quality, graduate courses in public health that can be completed on a full- or part-time basis. The program provides students with the foundation for public health knowledge and skills, whether they are looking to enhance their career or integrate public health principles into other educational paths.
The Graduate Certificate is comprised of four required courses totaling 16 credits of coursework:
- Quantitative Methods for Public Health
- Leadership and Management for Public Health
- Health Systems, Law, and Policy
- Individual, Community, and Population Health
The component courses are the core courses for the Master of Public Health (MPH) degree at SPH, designed to provide key foundational knowledge in public health and enhance students’ professional preparation by highlighting interdisciplinary connections through examples, case studies, and problem-based learning.
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Public Health, students will be able to:
- identify the determinants of health and disease;
- demonstrate the ability to access and use data to address public health problems;
- demonstrate the ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- use systematic approaches to develop, implement, and evaluate public health policies, programs, or services;
- apply ethical and legal principles to public health policy; and
- incorporate perspectives of diverse groups and communities.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health is open to students with an earned bachelor’s degree, including current graduate students at Boston University.
All students apply through SOPHAS Express, and provide:
- Official Bachelor’s degree transcript sent directly to the School
- Unofficial transcripts of all other post-secondary institutions attended uploaded to SOPHAS Express application
- A personal statement describing your desire to complete the graduate certificate
- 2 letters of recommendation, with at least one being from a faculty member if possible
Transitioning to the MPH Program After Certificate Completion
Many students are interested in using the Graduate Certificate in Public Health as a stepping stone to the Master of Public Health (MPH) program. Those who complete the certificate with a 3.3 cumulative GPA or better may waive the GRE for a subsequent transition into the MPH program. Click here to learn more.