Six New SPH Pilot Projects Funded in 2018
Excellence and innovation in public health research and education are central to the mission of our school. To advance this mission, SPH faculty members require resources to support the development of competitive grant applications across a broad range of topics and to strengthen competency-based education through innovation in teaching, assessment, and innovation.
We are delighted to report that in 2018, we awarded six new pilot projects at SPH. This impressive portfolio of new projects represents an important step toward strengthening our educational mission and research portfolio at SPH.
These awards were made possible in part by philanthropic support from several corporate contributors as well as individual benefactors who have invested in public health innovation at SPH over the past year. Early Career Catalyst Awards support pilot projects from junior faculty as they launch their independent research careers; Established Investigator Innovation Awards support pilot projects from more senior investigators; and Education Innovation Awards support SPH faculty at any stage of their careers who propose interdisciplinary, impactful educational projects.
Please join us in congratulating the 2018 pilot award recipients:
Early Career Catalyst Awards
- Alana Brennan, Validation of the Record Linkage in South Africa’s National Health Laboratory System Non-Communicable Chronic Diseases Database
- Kevin Lane, Geocoding and Time-Activity Modeling of Personal Exposure to Air Pollution to Study Effects on Reproductive Health
- Sara Lodi, BMC Cohort of Hepatitis C
- Jennifer Rider and Ludovic Trinquart, Novel Method for Surrogate Endpoint Evaluation in Prostate Cancer Trials
Established Investigator Award
- Jean van Seventer and Davidson Hamer, Identifying Zoonotic Pathways of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) in Humans in Southwest Coastal Bangladesh
Education Innovation Award
- Trish Elliott and Chris Lewis, Bridging the Gap between the Classroom and Practice: Establishing a Multi-Use BUSPH Public Health Teaching Case Repository
We would like to thank the Education Committee and Research Committee for their thoughtful reviews. The next deadline for pilot applications is March 1, 2019.
Michael McClean, ScD
Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Advancement
Lisa Sullivan, PhD
Associate Dean for Education