Assistantships and Student Employment

Some students choose to work while attending SPH. These positions can be either on- or off-campus. Below are numerous tips and resources to help you explore employment opportunities.

Unless otherwise noted, most positions are posted at the time they need to be filled.  We suggest that you begin to apply for positions no earlier than 4-6 weeks before you are able to start working.  Additionally, you should ideally be living in the Boston area to be available for in-person interviewing.

Our SPH Handshake system allows you to view job postings, upload and update resumes, enable your resume to be viewed by employers through resume books, and a lot more. For INCOMING fall students, you will have access to SPH Handshake beginning in June.

Full-time research assistant positions at SPH are listing with Boston University Human Resources. Part-time positions within academic departments or research groups are listed in SPH Handshake. Students are encouraged to email faculty based on their specific research to express interest in upcoming opportunities.

TA positions at Boston University School of Public Health are generally reserved for second-year students and are hired directly by the academic department or faculty. SPH does not typically offer teaching assistant positions to entering graduate students. These positions pay a small stipend. Interested students should contact their academic department directly to inquire about available opportunities.

Students may explore positions on the BU Medical Campus, as well as the Charles River Campus. Full-time employees at Boston University are eligible to receive tuition remission benefits, beginning on the first day of the semester on or following your date of hire. Please note that if your date of hire is after the start of the semester, you will not receive tuition remission until the following semester. Typical positions held by students are research or administrative in nature. Learn more about tuition remission. Note:  Employees of Boston Medical Center are not eligible for BU tuition remission.

Degree candidates may seek part-time employment opportunities through the Student Employment Office (SEO). SEO works with currently enrolled degree students to assist them in their employment endeavors, whether through our Work-Study program, “quickie jobs” through the Student Job Service, or through the university Payroll process. On-campus work-study positions are jobs that are part of your financial aid package at Boston University. If you have been awarded work-study money, you may have access to additional part-time job opportunities on-campus. The Student Job Service assists students in finding on- and off-campus employment to help meet their educational expenses while attending Boston University. The Student Job Service is a free listing service offered to on-campus employers and to employers throughout the Greater Boston metropolitan area. For more information, contact the Student Employment office at or 617-353-3596 or visit the Student Employment Office website.

Each year, Residential Life hires resident assistants (RA) and senior resident assistants (SRA) to play a unique role in guiding, encouraging, directing, and helping other students as they learn and test new ideas, seek satisfying career choices, clarify their personal and societal values, and become contributing members of the larger community. Individuals hired for these positions are part-time staff members in the Residential Life office and are responsible for actively working twenty hours each week. These positions come with varying compensation packages that can include: housing, meal plans, stipends, and/or insurance. To find out more information, please refer to the Residential Life website.

Boston is home to many world-class hospitals, community health centers, and public health organizations. SPH students may take advantage of this opportunity to work part-time while pursing their graduate studies. To learn more about potential part-time work, visit the human resources websites at these hospitals: Boston Medical Center, Partners HealthCare (MGH and Brigham & Women’s Hospitals), Boston Children’s Hospital, or Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.  If you are a full-time employee, many employers in the field of public health provide continuing and professional education benefits for employees.  Please check with your company's human resources department about possible tuition remission or reimbursement programs.

Boston has several temp firms listed below that may be helpful to students interested in short-term, temp assignments.

If you are an international student, you must follow the rules and procedures for employment established by Boston University, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and their sponsoring agencies. If you have any questions regarding your Visa status or working on-campus, contact the International Students and Scholars Office at or 617-353-3565.