PhD in Health Services Research
Application Requirements Quick Reference List
December 1, 2015
1) Bachelor’s degree in a related field (i.e., social/behavioral sciences, epidemiology, management, biological sciences, or health professions) or substantial coursework in these fields.
2) Specific previous coursework required:
- Minimum of one semester of calculus and one semester of statistics, each with a grade of B or better
- EP713, Introduction to Epidemiology or equivalent and BS704, Introduction to Biostatistics or equivalent with a grade of B or better
3) For the Health Economics field, applicants should have knowledge in multivariate calculus, linear algebra, probabilities and statistics, and differential equations, as well as intermediate-level microeconomics.
A graduate degree (or graduate work in process) in a relevant field is strongly encouraged, though the PhD program will consider exceptional candidates with a bachelor’s degree.
At least 1–2 years of research experience is strongly encouraged.
Standardized Test Scores
GRE. Official valid test scores must have been taken within the last 5 years. Applicants may not waive this requirement.
Institution Code: 3101*
Department Code: Any
In addition, international applicants must submit an English language proficiency exam. Applicants may submit the TOEFL or IELTS. TOEFL and IELTS exams are considered valid for two (2) years from the date the exam was administered.
Academic Transcripts or WES ICAP Evaluation
If you are currently in a degree program, you are required to submit a current official transcript showing all completed coursework and all work in progress. If you are accepted for admission, a final official transcript after degree conferral must be submitted directly to Boston University prior to matriculation.
SPH reserves the right to reevaluate your application for admission upon receipt of the final official transcript.
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
Statement of Purpose and Objectives
- Reason for studying health services research
- Desired area of study within the department
- Anticipated value of health services research training at Boston University to the candidate’s personal career plans
- Relevance of prior education and experience to pursuing this degree
CV or Résumé
Upon receipt of your application from SOPHAS, you will be provided with a link to complete our brief supplemental application.
Dr. Vicky Parker