MS in Health Services Research
Fall 2015 Admission: February 15th, 2015.
- Bachelor’s degree attainment or work in progress. A bachelor’s degree must be conferred before attending SPH. Applicants should hold a bachelor’s degree in a field related to health services research (i.e., social/behavioral science, epidemiology, management, biological sciences, or health professions) or must have completed substantial coursework in one of these fields.
- Applicants must complete a minimum of one semester of college-level calculus and one semester of college-level statistics, each with a passing grade of B or better.
Experience: At least 1–2 years of research experience is strongly encouraged.
GRE, MCAT, or GMAT. Please review our test-specific reporting codes.
Official valid test scores must have been taken within the last 5 years. Applicants may not waive this requirement.
International applicants must also submit an English language proficiency exam. Applicants may submit the TOEFL or IELTS.
Statement of Purpose and Objectives
Applicants must provide evidence of their preparedness, interest, and elementary understanding of the health services research field in the form of a concise personal statement.
This statement should include the following elements:
- the candidate’s reason for studying health services research
- her/his desired particular area of study within the department
- the anticipated value of health services research training at Boston University to the candidate’s personal career plans
- the relevance of her/his prior education and experience
Applicants must have official transcripts for all registered coursework submitted from each institution directly to SOPHAS using their Official Transcript Request Form. This documentation must be sent from the registrar or designated school records official directly to SOPHAS. Official transcripts will not be accepted from the applicant. Photocopies of official transcripts or unofficial records will not be accepted. International transcripts, including study abroad transcripts, may have additional requirements.
If you are currently in a degree program, you are required to submit a current official transcript showing completed coursework and all work in progress. If you are accepted for admission, a final official transcript after degree conferral must be submitted directly to Boston University prior to matriculation.
SPH reserves the right to reevaluate your application for admission upon receipt of the final official transcript.
Letters of Recommendation
SPH requires three letters of recommendation for the applicant portfolio to be considered complete. The committee will be especially interested in references from former undergraduate or graduate school professors and former (or current) supervisors of health- or research-related employment.
SOPHAS provides an electronic submission process for all letters of recommendation.
CV or Résumé
A current curriculum vitae or résumé is required. This document should be uploaded directly to your SOPHAS application.
Dr. Vicky Parker