Community Health Sciences
Complex health problems can only be understood in the context of social and cultural factors. From preventable “lifestyle diseases” to gender-based health differences, the communities we live in have profound implications for public health.
As a student in the Department of Community Health Sciences, you’ll learn the skills needed to improve the health and well-being of individuals and families through their communities. In teaching, we emphasize assessment, intervention, communication, advocacy, and community-based research and practice.
Learn from our faculty’s expertise.
Our faculty represents a wide diversity of scholarly expertise and interests, and aim to broaden your understanding of the factors that shape the health of our communities, as well as the interventions needed to improve them. One area of special interest is the impact of social disparities on health—and ways promote social change. Another is gender and sexuality: how our social constructs of gender expression and sexual orientation affect the health of both men and women. In the area of urban health, we collaborate with local agencies, organizations, and health centers to address such issues as homelessness and community violence. We also work with partners to examine family and community health systems, conducting interdisciplinary field research on public health practices.
Choose from two areas of concentration
As a student concentrating in Maternal & Child Health, you can focus on one of the following areas of emphasis
- maternal and child community health practice
- maternal and child health epidemiology
- policy-making and advocacy for women, children, and families
- sexual, perinatal and women’s health
- child and adolescent health and development
As a concentrator in Social & Behavioral Sciences, you can specialize in one of the following areas of emphasis:
- health disparities
- health communications
- intervention planning
Related Degree Programs
- Master of Public Health with a concentration in Maternal & Child Health (MPH)
- Master of Public Health with a concentration in Social & Behavioral Sciences (MPH)
- Doctor of Public Health with a concentration in Community Health Sciences (DrPH)
To learn about application requirements, please see our Admissions section.