Promoting Gender Equality in Tanzania
Nelson Holmes assists study of gender-based violence intervention in Arusha Region.
Learning by (Assistant) Teaching in South Africa
Practicum student Selam Hailu assists two pharmaceutical public health courses at University of the Western Cape.
Professor Teaches Health Economics in Bhutan
[VIDEO] Bruce Larson taught summer course at Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences.
‘Seeing the End and the Beginning’
Student Lindsay White helps launch public health consultancy in Vietnam.
The goal of the Department of Global Health and the associated Center for Global Health and Development is to improve the health of underserved global populations through policy-relevant research; the empowerment of citizens, governments, and organizations; and the education of future global health leaders. We focus on the world’s three overriding health problems—poverty, disease, and inequity—with emphasis on infectious diseases, management and finance, reproductive health, maternal health, child survival, policy analysis, and research and evaluation methods.
The department emphasizes a practice-based education with on-the-ground experience, and coursework that teaches skills relevant in running programs to reduce disease and inequality in low-income countries. We are active in more than 10 countries at any given time, with a major continuing presence in South Africa and Zambia and research projects in Mexico, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, India, and Vietnam. We have also conducted extensive work in Namibia and Lesotho.
Global Health News
Global Health Calendar
- Published On 8/1/2016Capitalizing on Natural Experiments to Improve Our Understanding of Population Health.American journal of public healthread at PubMed
- Published On 8/1/2016Incident tuberculosis in HIV-positive children, adolescents and adults on antiretroviral therapy in South Africa.The international journal of tuberculosis and lung disease : the official journal of the International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseaseread at PubMed
- Published On 7/8/2016Screening HIV-Infected Patients with Low CD4 Counts for Cryptococcal Antigenemia prior to Initiation of Antiretroviral Therapy: Cost Effectiveness of Alternative Screening Strategies in South Africa.PloS oneread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Insulin in 2016: Challenge and constraints to access.Diabetes research and clinical practiceread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Identifying Gaps in Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV: A Case Series of HIV-positive Infants in Zambia.The Pediatric infectious disease journalread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Health Spending For Low-, Middle-, And High-Income Americans, 1963-2012.Health affairs (Project Hope)read at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Etiology, Antibiotic Resistance and Risk Factors for Neonatal Sepsis in a Large Referral Center in Zambia.The Pediatric infectious disease journalread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Interaction of Giardia intestinalis and Systemic Oxidation in Preschool Children in the Western Highlands of Guatemala.Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutritionread at PubMed
- Published On 6/25/2016Effects of 3D geometries on cellular gradient sensing and polarization.Physical biologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/8/2016Prospects for HIV control in South Africa: a model-based analysis.Global health actionread at PubMed