In Conversation With
‘We Need a Sense of Urgency’
Professor C. Robert Horsburgh on flipping tuberculosis narrative, why treatable disease persists, and how communities can beat TB.
maternal and child health
Insurance in Indonesia Linked to Better Maternal Care
Barriers include access to health facilities, poor referral system, and variations in “clinical competence” of maternal care providers.
substance use disorder
Cigarette Smoking Linked to Increased Risk of Substance Use Relapse
Smokers had about twice the odds of relapsing to drug use over three years compared to non-smokers.
Youths More Likely Than Adults to See Alcohol Marketing Online
Youths are impressionable to marketing messages, including that drinking can lead to happiness and social acceptance.
The world needs answers.
How are health and disease affected by personal characteristics? Behavior? Geography? Time? These are the central questions of epidemiology, the foundation of public health. As epidemiologists, our answers form the basis for developing policies and interventions to protect and improve the health of populations.
The field of epidemiology has grown dramatically in scope and importance in recent decades. With increasing concerns about emerging infections, environmental hazards, and global health disparities, epidemiologists are playing key roles in an expanding range of public health issues. Our faculty members are experts in epidemiologic methods, chronic and infectious diseases epidemiology, and pharmacoepidemiology. We measure how social, behavioral, medical, infectious, and genetic factors relate to a wide range of reproductive, perinatal, and pediatric outcomes, as well as conditions that accompany the aging process. We evaluate the interplay among environmental and societal conditions, psychosocial factors, and disease. And we quantify the risks and benefits of medications and other treatments.
- Published On 2/21/2017National Disparities in Colorectal Cancer Screening Among Obese Adults.American journal of preventive medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 2/13/2017Alcohol Policies and Alcohol-Related Motor Vehicle Crash Fatalities Among Young People in the US.Pediatricsread at PubMed
- Published On 2/2/2017The ABC model of prostate cancer: A conceptual framework for the design and interpretation of prognostic studies.Cancerread at PubMed
- Published On 2/2/2017Clinical and Environmental Correlates of Serum BDNF: A descriptive study with plausible implications for AD research.Current Alzheimer researchread at PubMed
- Published On 1/30/2017Self-reported Youth and Adult Exposure to Alcohol Marketing in Traditional and Digital MediaAlcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research
- Published On 1/30/2017Firearm-Related Laws in All 50 States, 1991-2016American Journal of Public Health
- Published On 1/17/2017Long-Term Exposure to NO2 and Ozone and Hypertension Incidence in the Black Women''s Health Study.American journal of hypertensionread at PubMed
- Published On 1/17/2017Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Gastrointestinal Disorders in the Danish Population.Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.)read at PubMed
- Published On 1/17/2017Imputing HIV treatment start dates from routine laboratory data in South Africa: a validation study.BMC health services researchread at PubMed
- Published On 1/15/2017A Clinical Validation of Self-Reported Periodontitis Among Participants in the Black Women''s Health Study.Journal of periodontologyread at PubMed