New Comprehensive National Database Advances Gun Policy Research
[VIDEO] Fifty-seven percent increase seen in number of enacted state firearm provisions nationwide from 1991 to 2016, dominated by handful of states.
conflicts of interest
Public Health Schools Must Guard Against Conflicts of Interest
[VIDEO] Increasing dependence on external funding poses challenges, risks.
Risk for Cannabis Use Disorders Climbs in States with Medical Marijuana Laws
Increases in use ranged from 3.5 percentage points in states with no medical marijuana laws to 7 percentage points in Colorado.
Maternal Attitudes Shape Infant Vaccination Decisions
Those with “neutral and negative attitudes” had much higher odds of reporting their infants had received no vaccinations.
The world needs answers.
How are health and disease affected by personal characteristics? Behavior? Geography? Time? These are the central questions of epidemiology, the foundation of public health. As epidemiologists, our answers form the basis for developing policies and interventions to protect and improve the health of populations.
The field of epidemiology has grown dramatically in scope and importance in recent decades. With increasing concerns about emerging infections, environmental hazards, and global health disparities, epidemiologists are playing key roles in an expanding range of public health issues. Our faculty members are experts in epidemiologic methods, chronic and infectious diseases epidemiology, and pharmacoepidemiology. We measure how social, behavioral, medical, infectious, and genetic factors relate to a wide range of reproductive, perinatal, and pediatric outcomes, as well as conditions that accompany the aging process. We evaluate the interplay among environmental and societal conditions, psychosocial factors, and disease. And we quantify the risks and benefits of medications and other treatments.
- Published On 6/1/2017Associations of Brain Structure With Adiposity and Changes in Adiposity in a Middle-Aged and Older Biracial Population.The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciencesread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Bordetella pertussis infections in travelers: data from the GeoSentinel global network.Journal of travel medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Metformin and the risk of renal cell carcinoma: a case-control analysis.European journal of cancer prevention : the official journal of the European Cancer Prevention Organisation (ECP)read at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Collaboration to Accelerate Proteogenomics Cancer Care: The Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense, and the National Cancer Institute''s Applied Proteogenomics OrganizationaL Learning and Outcomes (APOLLO) Network.Clinical pharmacology and therapeuticsread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Gastrointestinal Disorders in the Danish Population.Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.)read at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Severity of Kyphosis and Decline in Lung Function: The Framingham Study.The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciencesread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Antenatal Exposure and Diseases in the Offspring: The Role of Big Data.Drug safetyread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Association of Risk of Viremia, Immunosuppression, Serious Clinical Events, and Mortality With Increasing Age in Perinatally Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Youth.JAMA pediatricsread at PubMed
- Published On 4/25/2017Largest GWAS of PTSD (N=20?070) yields genetic overlap with schizophrenia and sex differences in heritability.Molecular psychiatryread at PubMed
- Published On 4/24/2017Pain Sensitization is Associated with Disease Activity in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study.Arthritis care & researchread at PubMed