For Cardiovascular Disease, It’s the 20 Percent vs the 80 Percent
The richest fifth of the US population has seen improvements in cardiovascular health over the last two decades. For everyone else, it’s mostly stayed the same or gotten worse.
SPH45: Public Health. Now Is the Time.
SPH has launched a 14-month endeavor to showcase the research, scholarship, and practice of the school, culminating in a November 2021 celebration to mark its 45th anniversary.
Streamlining PTSD Diagnosis with Machine Learning
Among veterans, the “gold standard” diagnostic assessment for PTSD could be shortened. Different items in the diagnostic proved less important for male or for female veterans.
On Suicide, ‘We Must Address Failures at a System Level’
In the three-part Dean’s Symposium Stopping Suicide: A Population Health Approach to Preventing Suicide, experts will explore the causes of suicide, potential solutions, and ways to promote mental health.
The world needs answers.
How are health and disease affected by personal characteristics? Behavior? Geography? Time? These are the central questions of epidemiology, the foundation of public health. As epidemiologists, our answers form the basis for developing policies and interventions to protect and improve the health of populations.
The field of epidemiology has grown dramatically in scope and importance in recent decades. With increasing concerns about emerging infections, environmental hazards, and global health disparities, epidemiologists are playing key roles in an expanding range of public health issues. Our faculty members are experts in epidemiologic methods, chronic and infectious diseases epidemiology, and pharmacoepidemiology. We measure how social, behavioral, medical, infectious, and genetic factors relate to a wide range of reproductive, perinatal, and pediatric outcomes, as well as conditions that accompany the aging process. We evaluate the interplay among environmental and societal conditions, psychosocial factors, and disease. And we quantify the risks and benefits of medications and other treatments.
12:30 pm- 1:30 pm
Tuesday Talk - The role of antibody testing in addressing COVID-19 by Yachana Kataria, PhDZoom
3:00 pm- 4:00 pm
Monday Talk- by Noelle Cocoros and Sheryl Klubergzoom
9:00 am- 11:00 am
Dissertation Defense - Differentiated service delivery for males, youth, and stable patients in a large HIV treatment program in South Africa, by Tali Cassidyzoom
12:00 pm- 1:00 pm
Tuesday Talk - Considerations for Employing Intersectionality in Qualitative Health Research, by Jasmine Abrams, PhDzoom
- Published On 7/1/2020The Role of Ambient Particle Radioactivity in Inflammation and Endothelial Function in an Elderly Cohort.Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.)read at PubMed
- Published On 6/12/2020Compositional data call for complex interventions.International journal of epidemiologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/10/2020Cigarette Smoking and Incident Stroke in Blacks of the Jackson Heart Study.Journal of the American Heart Associationread at PubMed
- Published On 6/10/2020A prospective study of yogurt and other dairy consumption in relation to incidence of type 2 diabetes among black women in the USA.The American journal of clinical nutritionread at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2020Temporal trends in pharmacologic prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism after hip and knee replacement in older adults.Vascular medicine (London, England)read at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2020Association of Migraine With Aura and Other Risk Factors With Incident Cardiovascular Disease in Women.JAMAread at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2020Preclinical in vitro and in vivo profile of a highly-attenuated, broadly efficacious pneumolysin genetic toxoid.Vaccineread at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2020Incidence of second primary malignancies in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: results from observational studies in three countries.Future oncology (London, England)read at PubMed
- Published On 6/8/2020Role of Rare and Low-Frequency Variants in Gene-Alcohol Interactions on Plasma Lipid Levels.Circulation. Genomic and precision medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 6/8/2020Advancing Research on the Complex Interrelations Between Atrial Fibrillation and Heart Failure: A Report From a US National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Virtual Workshop.Circulationread at PubMed