Professor to Direct New Research Center Focused on Atrial Fibrillation
Emilia Benjamin will head BU-based research center funded by American Heart Association.
Lung Cancer Risk Drops Quickly After Quitting Smoking, But Persists
Risk of lung cancer drops 39 percent five years after quitting, but after 25 years is still three times the risk of those who never smoked.
Ejaculation Changes Prostate Tissue, Lowering Cancer Risk
High rates of ejaculation effect changes in gene expression and cellular processes of prostate.
No Association Between Adjustment Disorder and Cancer
Prior studies examining whether cancer was consequence of disorder have been inconclusive.
The world needs answers.
How are health and disease affected by personal characteristics? Behavior? Geography? Time? These are the central questions of epidemiology, the foundation of public health. As epidemiologists, our answers form the basis for developing policies and interventions to protect and improve the health of populations.
The field of epidemiology has grown dramatically in scope and importance in recent decades. With increasing concerns about emerging infections, environmental hazards, and global health disparities, epidemiologists are playing key roles in an expanding range of public health issues. Our faculty members are experts in epidemiologic methods, chronic and infectious diseases epidemiology, and pharmacoepidemiology. We measure how social, behavioral, medical, infectious, and genetic factors relate to a wide range of reproductive, perinatal, and pediatric outcomes, as well as conditions that accompany the aging process. We evaluate the interplay among environmental and societal conditions, psychosocial factors, and disease. And we quantify the risks and benefits of medications and other treatments.
- Published On 7/1/2018Commentary on Bansback et al. (2018): Estimating the cost of stigma against injection.Addiction (Abingdon, England)read at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2018Pre-admission use of platelet inhibitors and short-term stroke mortality: a population-based cohort study.European heart journal. Cardiovascular pharmacotherapyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/13/2018Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk in Older Patients with Gout Initiating Febuxostat versus Allopurinol: A Population-Based Cohort Study.Circulationread at PubMed
- Published On 6/12/2018Progression in Running Intensity or Running Volume and the Development of Specific Injuries in Recreational Runners: Run Clever, a Randomized Trial Using Competing Risks.The Journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/12/2018The use of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors to manage benign prostatic hyperplasia and the risk of all-cause mortality.Urologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/11/2018Estimating retention in HIV care accounting for patient transfers: A national laboratory cohort study in South Africa.PLoS medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 6/11/2018Promoter methylation of PGC1A and PGC1B predicts cancer incidence in a veteran cohort.Epigenomicsread at PubMed
- Published On 6/11/2018Multi-ethnic genome-wide association study for atrial fibrillation.Nature geneticsread at PubMed
- Published On 6/8/2018The risk of incident osteoarthritis of the hand in statin initiators:A sequential cohort study.Arthritis care & researchread at PubMed
- Published On 6/8/2018Outcomes of Patients Lost to Follow-up in African Antiretroviral Therapy Programs: Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis.Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of Americaread at PubMed