In Conversation With
‘I Thought in Those Riskier Times I Was Needed More’
BU Distinguished Alumni Award recipient Mahesh Maskey on achieving universal healthcare after civil war in Nepal and how public health prepared him to be his country’s ambassador to China.
Alumnus Honored by International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
Aaron J. Cohen, adjunct assistant professor of environmental health, will receive John Goldsmith Award at ISEE 29th Annual Scientific Conference in Sydney, Australia, on September 25.
Professor Honored for Work in Genetic Epidemiology
L. Adrienne Cupples received International Genetic Epidemiology Society (IGES) Leadership Award at University of Cambridge on September 10.
HPV Vaccine Associated with Improved Fertility in Some Women
Women with history of sexually transmitted infections more likely to conceive if vaccinated against HPV.
The world needs answers.
How are health and disease affected by personal characteristics? Behavior? Geography? Time? These are the central questions of epidemiology, the foundation of public health. As epidemiologists, our answers form the basis for developing policies and interventions to protect and improve the health of populations.
The field of epidemiology has grown dramatically in scope and importance in recent decades. With increasing concerns about emerging infections, environmental hazards, and global health disparities, epidemiologists are playing key roles in an expanding range of public health issues. Our faculty members are experts in epidemiologic methods, chronic and infectious diseases epidemiology, and pharmacoepidemiology. We measure how social, behavioral, medical, infectious, and genetic factors relate to a wide range of reproductive, perinatal, and pediatric outcomes, as well as conditions that accompany the aging process. We evaluate the interplay among environmental and societal conditions, psychosocial factors, and disease. And we quantify the risks and benefits of medications and other treatments.
12:00 pm- 1:00 pm
Tuesday Talk - Jerrold Ellner, NDT311E
5:00 pm- 6:00 pm
Research in Progress - Julie PetersenT311E
5:00 pm- 6:00 pm
Epidemiology Doctoral ProgramT311E
11:00 am- 1:00 pm
Doctoral Dissertation Defense - Anna Modest670 Albany room 107
1:00 pm- 2:00 pm
Epi Comprehensive Exam Q&ATBD
10:00 am- 3:00 pm
Epidemiology Comprehensive ExamL212/L214
- Published On 10/1/2017Evidence on the Validity of a Comprehensive Health Risk Index and Implications for Ambulatory Care and Population Health Management.The Journal of ambulatory care managementread at PubMed
- Published On 9/14/2017Neurodevelopment of HIV-Exposed and HIV-Unexposed Uninfected Children at 24 Months.Pediatricsread at PubMed
- Published On 9/13/2017Biology and etiology of young-onset breast cancers among premenopausal African American women: results from the AMBER Consortium.Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncologyread at PubMed
- Published On 9/13/2017Alcohol Advertising in Magazines and Underage Readership: Are Underage Youth Disproportionately Exposed?Alcoholism, clinical and experimental researchread at PubMed
- Published On 9/12/2017Racial Differences in the Association Between Apolipoprotein E Risk Alleles and Overall and Total Cardiovascular Mortality Over 18 Years.Journal of the American Geriatrics Societyread at PubMed
- Published On 9/12/2017Genetic Interactions with Age, Sex, Body Mass Index, and Hypertension in Relation to Atrial Fibrillation: The AFGen Consortium.Scientific reportsread at PubMed
- Published On 9/7/2017The Effect of Vaccination Against Human Papillomavirus on Fecundability.Paediatric and perinatal epidemiologyread at PubMed
- Published On 9/5/2017Obesity and risk of death or dialysis in younger and older patients on specialized pre-dialysis care.PloS oneread at PubMed
- Published On 9/1/2017Academic Achievement Deficits and Their Neuropsychological Correlates in Children Born Extremely Preterm.Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics : JDBPread at PubMed
- Published On 9/1/2017Early-Onset Alzheimer Disease and Candidate Risk Genes Involved in Endolysosomal Transport.JAMA neurologyread at PubMed