More Guns Now Being Purchased for Self-Defense Than Recreation
Guns are increasingly being viewed as having primary role in self-defense rather than hunting or sport.
The US Opioid Epidemic
Overdose deaths have increased six-fold in the US since 1980. A Note about the ongoing opioid epidemic.
data coordinating center
Early Onset of Alcohol Use in Mexico Examined
Largest percentages of students initiated alcohol use at age 15, tobacco use at ages 15 and 16, and marijuana use at ages 16 and 17.
Substance Use Does Not Preclude HIV Control, Though Symptoms Do
Vast majority of those who use substances and receive antiretroviral therapy still adhere to treatment and achieve viral control.
Complex issues require comprehensive solutions.
Only in the context of social and cultural factors can complex health issues be truly understood. From unhealthy behaviors to gender-based health differences, where and how we live profoundly impact public health concerns. At the Department of Community Health Sciences (CHS), we apply both social and behavioral sciences to enhance the health and well-being of communities and promote health equity.
Our faculty members represent a diversity of scholarly expertise. Among their many interests are improving the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities; applying scientific theories and evidence from the field to develop interventions and policies tailored to diverse communities; teaching courses that emphasize assessment, intervention, communication, advocacy, and community-based research and practice; broadening student understanding of the factors that shape community health and how to improve it; exploring how disparities impact health in sexual and other minorities; and promoting social change.
Community Health Sciences News
Community Health Sciences Calendar
- Published On 7/1/2017Public Health Research Priorities to Address US Human Trafficking.American journal of public healthread at PubMed
- Published On 6/14/2017Efficacy of a Maternal Depression Prevention Strategy in Head Start: A Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA psychiatryread at PubMed
- Published On 6/12/2017Developing a Curriculum for Information and Communications Technology Use in Global Health Research and Training: A Qualitative Study Among Chinese Health Sciences Graduate Students.JMIR medical educationread at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2017HIV Stigma and Unhealthy Alcohol Use Among People Living with HIV in Russia.AIDS and behaviorread at PubMed
- Published On 6/1/2017Pain and Risk Behaviors Among HIV-Infected Persons in St. Petersburg, Russia.AIDS and behaviorread at PubMed
- Published On 5/31/2017Developing scientists in Hispanic substance use and health disparities research through the creation of a national mentoring networkMentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learningread at Custom
- Published On 5/29/2017The Relationship Between Spirituality/Religiousness and Unhealthy Alcohol Use Among HIV-Infected Adults in Southwestern Uganda.AIDS and behaviorread at PubMed
- Published On 5/24/2017FIB-4 stage of liver fibrosis predicts incident heart failure among HIV infected and uninfected patients.Hepatology (Baltimore, Md.)read at PubMed
- Published On 5/19/2017Massachusetts Health Reform''s Effect on Hospitalizations with Substance Use Disorder-Related Diagnoses.Health services researchread at PubMed
- Published On 5/18/2017Firearm-Related Laws in All 50 US States, 1991-2016.American journal of public healthread at PubMed