Public Health Research Reduced Smoking Deaths—It Could Do the Same for Gun Violence
What does it mean to view firearm violence as a public health problem?
Better Follow-Up Needed for Women after Gestational Diabetes
Postpartum screening for diabetes hampered by barriers.
More Efforts Needed to Address Dental Care Disparities
African Americans have lower rates of tooth-preserving dental procedures.
High Alcohol Levels Found Among Students Taken to ER Under Policy Encouraging Reporting
Campus policy that identifies and refers intoxicated students is important safety measure.
Complex issues require comprehensive solutions.
Only in the context of social and cultural factors can complex health issues be truly understood. From unhealthy behaviors to gender-based health differences, where and how we live profoundly impact public health concerns. At the Department of Community Health Sciences (CHS), we apply both social and behavioral sciences to enhance the health and well-being of communities and promote health equity.
Our faculty members represent a diversity of scholarly expertise. Among their many interests are improving the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities; applying scientific theories and evidence from the field to develop interventions and policies tailored to diverse communities; teaching courses that emphasize assessment, intervention, communication, advocacy, and community-based research and practice; broadening student understanding of the factors that shape community health and how to improve it; exploring how disparities impact health in sexual and other minorities; and promoting social change.
Community Health Sciences News
- Published On 9/5/2016Pilot and Feasibility Test of a Mobile Health-Supported Behavioral Counseling Intervention for Weight Management Among Breast Cancer SurvivorsJMIR Cancerread at Custom
- Published On 8/1/2016The Impact of Acculturation Style and Acculturative Hassles on the Mental Health of Somali Adolescent Refugees.Journal of immigrant and minority health / Center for Minority Public Healthread at PubMed
- Published On 8/1/2016Changes in Condom Use Over Time Among Female Sex Workers and Their Male Noncommercial Partners and Clients.AIDS education and prevention : official publication of the International Society for AIDS Educationread at PubMed
- Published On 7/15/2016Weight Gain in Infancy and Overweight or Obesity in Childhood across the Gestational Spectrum: a Prospective Birth Cohort Study.Scientific reportsread at PubMed
- Published On 7/5/2016Moderate Alcohol Intake and Cardiometabolic Risk in Adults With Type 2 Diabetes.Annals of internal medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Parental Influence on Drinking Behaviors at the Transition to College: The Mediating Role of Perceived Friends'' Approval of High-Risk Drinking.Journal of studies on alcohol and drugsread at PubMed
- Published On 6/17/2016Lost opportunities to prevent early onset type 2 diabetes mellitus after a pregnancy complicated by gestational diabetes.BMJ open diabetes research & careread at PubMed
- Published On 6/17/2016Designing a sexual network study of men who have sex with other men: exploring racial and ethnic preferences in study design and methods.AIDS careread at PubMed
- Published On 6/17/2016Selection biases in observational studies affect associations between 'moderate' alcohol consumption and mortality.Addiction (Abingdon, England)read at PubMed
- Published On 6/8/2016Drinking to toxicity: college students referred for emergency medical evaluation.Addiction science & clinical practiceread at PubMed