2017 SPH Convocation: ‘There Is Only Us’
At 2017 SPH Convocation, Liz Walker urged graduates to employ grace in their work to heal communities.
New Comprehensive National Database Advances Gun Policy Research
[VIDEO] Fifty-seven percent increase seen in number of enacted state firearm provisions nationwide from 1991 to 2016, dominated by handful of states.
Professor to Receive 2017 Metcalf Award
Sophie Godley, clinical assistant professor of community health sciences, will receive one of University’s highest teaching accolades at BU Commencement on May 21.
conflicts of interest
Public Health Schools Must Guard Against Conflicts of Interest
[VIDEO] Increasing dependence on external funding poses challenges, risks.
Complex issues require comprehensive solutions.
Only in the context of social and cultural factors can complex health issues be truly understood. From unhealthy behaviors to gender-based health differences, where and how we live profoundly impact public health concerns. At the Department of Community Health Sciences (CHS), we apply both social and behavioral sciences to enhance the health and well-being of communities and promote health equity.
Our faculty members represent a diversity of scholarly expertise. Among their many interests are improving the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities; applying scientific theories and evidence from the field to develop interventions and policies tailored to diverse communities; teaching courses that emphasize assessment, intervention, communication, advocacy, and community-based research and practice; broadening student understanding of the factors that shape community health and how to improve it; exploring how disparities impact health in sexual and other minorities; and promoting social change.
Community Health Sciences News
- Published On 6/1/2017Pain and Risk Behaviors Among HIV-Infected Persons in St. Petersburg, Russia.AIDS and behaviorread at PubMed
- Published On 5/2/2017Diet and exercise changes following direct-to-consumer personal genomic testing.BMC medical genomicsread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017The Cost of Firearm Violence Survivorship.American journal of public healthread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Trends in Maternal Mortality by Sociodemographic Characteristics and Cause of Death in 27 States and the District of Columbia.Obstetrics and gynecologyread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Mindset Matters for Parents and Adolescents.JAMA pediatricsread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Parent-Reported Severity and Health/Educational Services Use Among US Children with Autism: Results from a National Survey.Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics : JDBPread at PubMed
- Published On 4/20/2017Evidence-Based Medicine these 7 years: time for the editor to go on permanent sabbatical.Evidence-based medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 4/17/2017Hope Amidst Horror: Documenting The Effects of The "War On Drugs" Among Female Sex Workers and Their Intimate Partners in Tijuana, Mexico.Medical anthropologyread at PubMed
- Published On 4/10/2017What do providers want to know about opioid prescribing? A qualitative analysis of their questions.Substance abuseread at PubMed
- Published On 4/10/2017Aortic-Brachial Arterial Stiffness Gradient and Cardiovascular Risk in the Community: The Framingham Heart Study.Hypertension (Dallas, Tex. : 1979)read at PubMed