In Memoriam: Karen Smith
For nearly a decade, the executive director of administration in the Department of Community Health Sciences demonstrated skill, excellence, and dedication to the school, its mission, and its community.
State Alcohol Laws Focus on Drunk Driving—They Could Do Much More
Even Utah, the state with the strongest alcohol laws, has a lot of room for improvement.
Privacy Law Gaps in High School STI Health Services
Collaboration between schools (operating under FERPA) and health departments (operating under HIPAA) can compromise student privacy if they do not address these gaps.
‘Maybe There’s Hope’ on Maternal Mortality
As lawmakers take on America’s high—and unequal—maternal mortality rate, Eugene Declercq wants them to understand it is ‘just the tip of the iceberg.’
Complex issues require comprehensive solutions.
Only in the context of social and cultural factors can complex health issues be truly understood. From unhealthy behaviors to gender-based health differences, where and how we live profoundly impact public health concerns. At the Department of Community Health Sciences (CHS), we apply both social and behavioral sciences to enhance the health and well-being of communities and promote health equity.
Our faculty members represent a diversity of scholarly expertise. Among their many interests are improving the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities; applying scientific theories and evidence from the field to develop interventions and policies tailored to diverse communities; teaching courses that emphasize assessment, intervention, communication, advocacy, and community-based research and practice; broadening student understanding of the factors that shape community health and how to improve it; exploring how disparities impact health in sexual and other minorities; and promoting social change.
Community Health Sciences News
Community Health Sciences Calendar
- Published On 4/30/2020Brady KT, Levin FR, Galanter M, Kleber HD. The American Psychiatric Press Textbook of Substance Use DisordersScreening and Brief Intervention
- Published On 2/1/2020Should Public Health Professionals Consider Pornography a Public Health Crisis?American journal of public healthread at PubMed
- Published On 2/1/2020Consent for HIV Testing Among Adolescent Sexual Minority Males: Legal Status, Youth Perceptions, and Associations with Actual Testing and Sexual Risk Behavior.AIDS and behaviorread at PubMed
- Published On 2/1/2020Maternal Dyslipidemia, Plasma Branched-Chain Amino Acids, and the Risk of Child Autism Spectrum Disorder: Evidence of Sex Difference.Journal of autism and developmental disordersread at PubMed
- Published On 2/1/2020Engagement in Early Intervention Services Among Mothers in Recovery From Opioid Use Disorders.Pediatricsread at PubMed
- Published On 1/31/2020Changes in Cannabis Use-related Factors Prior to Self-quit Attempt in Young AdultsCannabis
- Published On 1/17/2020Trends in Total Binge Drinks per Adult Who Reported Binge Drinking - United States, 2011-2017.MMWR. Morbidity and mortality weekly reportread at PubMed
- Published On 1/14/2020Acceptability and Feasibility of a Mobile Health Application for Video Directly Observed Therapy of Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorders in an Office-based Setting.Journal of addiction medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 1/13/2020Design of a randomized controlled trial to Link Infectious and Narcology Care (LINC-II) in St. Petersburg, Russia.Addiction science & clinical practiceread at PubMed
- Published On 1/8/2020Reply.Clinical gastroenterology and hepatology : the official clinical practice journal of the American Gastroenterological Associationread at PubMed