Weight History Could Identify Increased Risk of Early Death
Higher BMI at any point in adulthood associated with increased risk of all-cause mortality.
Stress Associated with Impaired Memory, Lower Brain Volumes
High levels of stress-related hormone cortisol associated with worse memory and visual perception.
Nearly 1 in 20 Massachusetts Residents Has Opioid Use Disorder
More than 275,000 people—or 4.6 percent of people over 11 years old in Massachusetts—had opioid use disorder as of 2015, nearly four times more than previous estimates.
SPH Debuts First All-Digital Winter Institute
In January, Population Health Exchange will unveil three digital-only continuing education programs.
Data lead to answers.
Fundamental to public health research and policy, biostatistics is also one of the most interdisciplinary departments at Boston University School of Public Health. By designing studies, developing new methodologies, and extracting and analyzing information from data, we help inform decisions to promote better health.
Biostatistics faculty members are internationally recognized for methodological innovations in clinical trials and observational studies, statistical genetics analysis, and Bayesian methods. They have a long history of collaborating to address some of the world’s most pressing public health concerns, as well as training the next generation of students to tackle emerging public health and medical issues with cutting-edge methods and technological skills.
Areas in which we are active include genetic studies of risk factors for breast cancer; safety and efficacy assessments of a new Alzheimer’s disease drug; comparisons of patient outcomes with different behavioral interventions; and studies to identify genetic and non-genetic factors of healthy aging and extreme human longevity.
Affiliated Academic Programs:
11:00 am- 1:00 pm
Biostatistics Thesis Defense - Statistical Analysis Methods for Confounded Two-Sample Comparison Data and Clustered Time-to-Event DataCT460
10:00 am- 12:00 pm
Biostatistics Thesis Defense - Mixture of mixed effects polynomial regression models with an entropy penalized log-likelihood to cluster temporal gene expression dataCT460
9:00 am- 10:30 am
Biostatistics Doctoral Student PresentationsCT460
1:00 pm- 2:00 pm
BSA Student-Faculty SeminarCT460
9:30 am- 11:00 am
Statistical Genetics Seminar SeriesCT305
11:00 am- 1:00 pm
Biostatistics Thesis Defense - Confidence Intervals and Hypothesis Testing for a Single Proportion with Clustered Binary Outcome DataCT462
- Published On 12/1/2018Effect of Antiretroviral Therapy on Treatment Outcomes in a Prospective Study of Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis (XDR-TB) HIV Coinfection Treatment in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes (1999)read at PubMed
- Published On 11/9/2018Dissecting the genetic relationship between cardiovascular risk factors and Alzheimer''s disease.Acta neuropathologicaread at PubMed
- Published On 11/5/2018Genetic Interaction with Plasma Lipids on Alzheimer''s Disease in the Framingham Heart Study.Journal of Alzheimer''s disease : JADread at PubMed
- Published On 11/5/2018Co-occurrence of early diabetes-related complications in adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes: an observational cohort study.The Lancet. Child & adolescent healthread at PubMed
- Published On 11/4/2018Variation in TMEM106B in chronic traumatic encephalopathy.Acta neuropathologica communicationsread at PubMed
- Published On 11/2/2018Hypogonadal men with moderate-to-severe lower urinary tract symptoms have a more severe cardiometabolic risk profile and benefit more from testosterone therapy than men with mild lower urinary tract symptoms.Investigative and clinical urologyread at PubMed
- Published On 11/1/2018Genome Analyses of >200,000 Individuals Identify 58 Loci for Chronic Inflammation and Highlight Pathways that Link Inflammation and Complex Disorders.American journal of human geneticsread at PubMed
- Published On 11/1/2018Exploring Host-Microbe Interactions in Lung Cancer.American journal of respiratory and critical care medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 10/29/2018Cough-aerosol cultures of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the prediction of outcomes after exposure. A household contact study in Brazil.PloS oneread at PubMed
- Published On 10/28/2018Cost-effectiveness of alternative anticoagulation strategies for postoperative management of total knee arthroplasty patients.Arthritis care & researchread at PubMed