2017 SPH Convocation: ‘There Is Only Us’
At 2017 SPH Convocation, Liz Walker urged graduates to employ grace in their work to heal communities.
Alumnus, Two Professors Named ASA Fellows
Paola Sebastiani, Sandeep Menon, and Michael Posner (SPH’06) to be honored by American Statistical Association at August 1 ceremony.
Illuminating Gene–Smoking Interactions Related to BMI
Novel genetic loci identified indicating tobacco smoking may alter people’s genetic susceptibility to overall fat and body-fat distribution.
Liz Walker to Deliver 2017 Convocation Address
Pastor and Boston’s first African American television news anchor headlines speaker lineup for May 20 event.
Data lead to answers.
Fundamental to public health research and policy, biostatistics is also one of the most interdisciplinary departments at Boston University School of Public Health. By designing studies, developing new methodologies, and extracting and analyzing information from data, we help inform decisions to promote better health.
Biostatistics faculty members are internationally recognized for methodological innovations in clinical trials and observational studies, statistical genetics analysis, and Bayesian methods. They have a long history of collaborating to address some of the world’s most pressing public health concerns, as well as training the next generation of students to tackle emerging public health and medical issues with cutting-edge methods and technological skills.
Areas in which we are active include genetic studies of risk factors for breast cancer; safety and efficacy assessments of a new Alzheimer’s disease drug; comparisons of patient outcomes with different behavioral interventions; and studies to identify genetic and non-genetic factors of healthy aging and extreme human longevity.
Affiliated Academic Programs:
- Published On 6/1/2017Associations Between Medication Class and Subsequent Augmentation of Depression Treatment in Privately Insured US Adults.Journal of clinical psychopharmacologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/1/2017Variation in Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Uptake and Acceptability Between Female and Male Adolescents and Their Caregivers.Journal of community healthread at PubMed
- Published On 6/1/2017Physical Activity, Brain Volume, and Dementia Risk: The Framingham Study.The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciencesread at PubMed
- Published On 6/1/2017Pain and Risk Behaviors Among HIV-Infected Persons in St. Petersburg, Russia.AIDS and behaviorread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Reply.Journal of vascular surgeryread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Telomere length is longer in women with late maternal age.Menopause (New York, N.Y.)read at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Severity of Kyphosis and Decline in Lung Function: The Framingham Study.The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciencesread at PubMed
- Published On 5/1/2017Sugar- and Artificially Sweetened Beverages and the Risks of Incident Stroke and Dementia: A Prospective Cohort Study.Strokeread at PubMed
- Published On 4/25/2017Largest GWAS of PTSD (N=20?070) yields genetic overlap with schizophrenia and sex differences in heritability.Molecular psychiatryread at PubMed
- Published On 4/24/2017Genomic analyses identify hundreds of variants associated with age at menarche and support a role for puberty timing in cancer risk.Nature geneticsread at PubMed