Association Found Between Atrial Fibrillation and Reduced Brain Volume
Heart problem is linked with smaller frontal lobe volume.
Type 2 diabetes
Identifying Genetic Determinants of Diabetes in African Americans
About half of gene variants identified in whites are shared by African Americans; others are unique.
Link Found Between Gene and Blood Vessel Damage
Identified gene called FOXF2 may cause stroke by affecting pericytes.
Exposure to Flame Retardants May Lower Male Reproductive Hormone
Exposure to PBDEs associated with decreased levels of hormone inhibin-B, important for production of semen.
Data lead to answers.
Fundamental to public health research and policy, biostatistics is also one of the most interdisciplinary departments at Boston University School of Public Health. By designing studies, developing new methodologies, and extracting and analyzing information from data, we help inform decisions to promote better health.
Biostatistics faculty members are internationally recognized for methodological innovations in clinical trials and observational studies, statistical genetics analysis, and Bayesian methods. They have a long history of collaborating to address some of the world’s most pressing public health concerns, as well as training the next generation of students to tackle emerging public health and medical issues with cutting-edge methods and technological skills.
Areas in which we are active include genetic studies of risk factors for breast cancer; safety and efficacy assessments of a new Alzheimer’s disease drug; comparisons of patient outcomes with different behavioral interventions; and studies to identify genetic and non-genetic factors of healthy aging and extreme human longevity.
- Published On 8/1/2016The Impact of Financial Conflicts of Interest in Plastic Surgery: Are They All Created Equal?Annals of plastic surgeryread at PubMed
- Published On 8/1/2016Transfer function-derived central pressure and cardiovascular disease events: the Framingham Heart Study.Journal of hypertensionread at PubMed
- Published On 8/1/2016Effectiveness of a novel cellular therapy to treat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.Journal of clinical tuberculosis and other mycobacterial diseasesread at PubMed
- Published On 7/18/2016Olfactory Function and Associated Clinical Correlates in Former NFL Players.Journal of neurotraumaread at PubMed
- Published On 7/18/2016The impact of non-fatal workplace injuries and illnesses on mortality.American journal of industrial medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 7/6/2016Plasma Fibroblast Growth Factor 23: Clinical Correlates and Association With Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality in the Framingham Heart Study.Journal of the American Heart Associationread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Tuberculosis transmission: sputum vs aerosols.The Lancet. Infectious diseasesread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Transcatheter Interatrial Shunt Device for the Treatment of Heart Failure: Rationale and Design of the Randomized Trial to REDUCE Elevated Left Atrial Pressure in Heart Failure (REDUCE LAP-HF I).Circulation. Heart failureread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Population Normative Data for the CERAD Word List and Victoria Stroop Test in Younger- and Middle-Aged Adults: Cross-Sectional Analyses from the Framingham Heart Study.Experimental aging researchread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2016Galectin-3 Is Associated with Restrictive Lung Disease and Interstitial Lung Abnormalities.American journal of respiratory and critical care medicineread at PubMed