In Conversation With
‘I Don’t See Demand Slowing Down’
Lisa Sullivan on new edition of her book, growing demand for biostatisticians, and helping students stop fearing math.
Professor Receives Education Innovation Award
Megan Healey honored at John McCahan Medical Campus Education Day on May 31.
In Utero Tobacco Exposure Linked to Executive Function Problems in Teens
Tobacco use associated with less optimal executive functioning in the classroom, particularly impacting behavior regulation.
In Mexico, Students Tackle Cavities, Pesticides, Sex Ed, and More
Practicum students work alongside students from Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública in Cuernavaca.
Data lead to answers.
Fundamental to public health research and policy, biostatistics is also one of the most interdisciplinary departments at Boston University School of Public Health. By designing studies, developing new methodologies, and extracting and analyzing information from data, we help inform decisions to promote better health.
Biostatistics faculty members are internationally recognized for methodological innovations in clinical trials and observational studies, statistical genetics analysis, and Bayesian methods. They have a long history of collaborating to address some of the world’s most pressing public health concerns, as well as training the next generation of students to tackle emerging public health and medical issues with cutting-edge methods and technological skills.
Areas in which we are active include genetic studies of risk factors for breast cancer; safety and efficacy assessments of a new Alzheimer’s disease drug; comparisons of patient outcomes with different behavioral interventions; and studies to identify genetic and non-genetic factors of healthy aging and extreme human longevity.
Affiliated Academic Programs:
- Published On 7/1/2017Validation and comparison of quality-of-life measures for topical 5-fluorouracil treatment: results from a randomized controlled trial.Clinical and experimental dermatologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/20/2017Association of Triglyceride-Related Genetic Variants With Mitral Annular Calcification.Journal of the American College of Cardiologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/14/2017Genetic loci associated with heart rate variability and their effects on cardiac disease risk.Nature communicationsread at PubMed
- Published On 6/14/2017Ranking and characterization of established BMI and lipid associated loci as candidates for gene-environment interactions.PLoS geneticsread at PubMed
- Published On 6/14/2017Efficacy of a Maternal Depression Prevention Strategy in Head Start: A Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA psychiatryread at PubMed
- Published On 6/13/2017Assessing the influence of rater and subject characteristics on measures of agreement for ordinal ratings.Statistics in medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 6/13/2017Genetic Determinants of HbF in Saudi Arabian and African Benin Haplotype Sickle Cell Anemia.American journal of hematologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2017Impaired Cognitive Performance in Youth Athletes Exposed to Repetitive Head Impacts.Journal of neurotraumaread at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2017HIV Stigma and Unhealthy Alcohol Use Among People Living with HIV in Russia.AIDS and behaviorread at PubMed
- Published On 6/9/2017Comparison of Text Messages vs Email When Communicating and Querying with Mothers about Safe Infant Sleep.Academic pediatricsread at PubMed