Comments & Discussion

Boston University moderates comments to facilitate an informed, substantive, civil conversation. Abusive, profane, self-promotional, misleading, incoherent or off-topic comments will be rejected. Moderators are staffed during regular business hours (EST) and can only accept comments written in English. Statistics or facts must include a citation or a link to the citation.

There are 5 comments on High Levels of Lead Detected in Turmeric Purchased from Boston Stores

1. Thanks for this write-up! Great work–I’ve passed a notice along to my colleagues in the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program. They are aware of the issue of lead contamination in spices, including turmeric, but this work is important to highlight the issue and brings it close to home (literally).

2. Hi,
    I am a Masters of Public Health student working for the City of Toronto currently on a study we are conducting of high lead levels in turmeric. This is a wonderful study that has been none and I think it is important for our reference. I would like to know what your sample size was for this study if possible. Do feel free to contact myself, as again I am conducting a sample of turmeric from supermarkets and food stores in the Toronto region.

Thank you
    Michael Caldara

3. Regardless of the two brands with the excessive levels of lead, lead is a heavy metal. Therefore, my understanding is that because they found lead in all samples, no matter which brand is eaten, the lead will accumulate over time in the tissues of those consuming it.

Post a comment.