Spring 2014 Teaching Awards Announced

Posted on: June 10, 2014 Topics: BUSPH, Teaching Awards

Please join us in congratulating the faculty who received an Award for Excellence in Teaching for the Spring 2014 semester.  Recipients are selected by the Teaching Awards Selection Sub-Committee which is comprised of faculty from each department.  The Sub-Committee’s selection is based on a review of the overall course evaluations, including instructor ratings and student comments.

Our students were very satisfied with their experiences in the classroom this spring.  They are appreciative of faculty efforts to incorporate different techniques to promote learning, to include timely topics, to engage them in exciting discussions, and to provide them with opportunities to learn and master important skills.

Recipients of the Spring 2014 Awards

Jacqueline Milton

Jacqueline Milton

BS704B1
Introduction to Biostatistics

“I was impressed with how this course made biostatistics an understandable subject to me. It was intimidating going into it, but Jacqui made the content understandable and interesting. Jacqui is an amazing instructor. She always encourages us to ask questions..”

dupuis.jpg

Josee Dupuis

BS860
Statistical Genetics

“This course was designed for higher levels of thinking. The homeworks are not based solely on the material presented in class, which made us delve deeper into understanding the concepts presented. Josée is an amazing instructor and she showcases her passion for the material throughout her interactions with students..”

Madeleine Scammell

Madeleine Scammell

Eugene Benson

Eugene Benson

EH805
Environmental Health Science, Policy, and Law

“The weekly assignments really forced me to read the course material and critically think about the content. Madeleine and Gene were both wonderful, engaging, and humorous!”

Kimberly Shea

Kimberly Shea

EP730
Epidemiology of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

“Dr. Shea was one of the best professors I have had in my educational career. She obviously cares about her students being successful after they graduate. Her expectations are high, but clear and attainable.

Erin Hasselberg

Erin Hasselberg

IH722
Supply Chain Management for Improved Health System Performance

“This course was excellent. …The mix of learning methods, including case studies and the project, was just right, and Erin was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the subject..”

Taryn Vian

Taryn Vian

IH757
Fighting Corruption Through Accountability and Transparency

“Taryn was not only a valuable resource but a helpful hand and someone genuinely interested in sharing her experiences to prepare students to face situations in life where they will have to deal with corruption.”

Sophie Godley

Sophie Godley

MC705
Safer Sex in the City: from Science to Policy

“No other professor has prepared me for a career as a public health practitioner as Professor Godley has. This class helped prepare and empower me to go into the world and be an effective catalyst for change.”

Harold Cox

Harold Cox

Kathleen Macvarish

Kathleen Macvarish

PH712
Public Health Response to Emergencies

“This was a very fast-paced course but the professors made great use of the time with discussion between their lectures and guest lectures. They were very helpful and a great resource.”

A. Rani Elwy

A. Rani Elwy

PM755
Health Care Delivery Systems

“Dr. Elwy is one of the best professors that I’ve had in both my undergraduate and graduate experience. She has realistic expectations for students, was always very knowledgeable/prepared, and did a great job of integrating her own research/experience with course concepts.”

Gouri Gupte

Gouri Gupte

PM835
Lean Management

“Gouri was always available to answer questions. She genuinely wants to see the class learn and do well. I felt like her class helped change the way I think. I developed skills I will use throughout my career.”

“This course was very well planned, the week intensive was spot on. Easily one of my favorite courses at BU.”

Jacey Greece

Jacey Greece

SB806
Communications Strategies for Public Health

“The strengths of the course definitely include the professor and the ability to practice what we learn. Since we are able to practice the different concepts we learn during class and each student is expected to review every component of each assignment, it is a great way to gain mastery in one area, yet be aware of how different components fit together to create one successful intervention.

marilyn-arnold

Marilyn Arnold

SB813
Web-based Health Communication Strategies for Public Health Interventions

“The course is so practical and gives you the opportunity to put skills into practice. All assignments build on one another and work towards a common goal. The professors and TA (and the course content) treats students as professionals and really challenge you