Graduate Student Jon Shaffer's latest editorial, "Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un:...
Sociology Department Convocation Ceremony
Sunday, May 20th, 2018 at 9 AM
Questrom School of Business Auditorium
595 Commonwealth Avenue
Reception to follow
Students should arrive by 8:30 (or well before) to line up!
Please note that no tickets are needed for the Sociology Convocation nor the All-University Commencement Ceremony. Students are invited to bring up to 4 guests to the Sociology Ceremony.
Please see the University’s Commencement Website for further details about Commencement Weekend and the All-University Ceremony.
About the Ceremonies
The Sociology Convocation Ceremony begins at 9 a.m. in the at the Questrom School of Business (formerly SMG). Each Sociology graduate will be recognized individually during the ceremony and will receive their diplomas.
The All-University Commencement Ceremony begins at 1 p.m. on Nickerson Field. Graduates should arrive at Harry Agganis Way no later than 12:15 p.m. to line up for the All-University Commencement Ceremony. There is plenty of seating, so there is no need for guests to feel that they have to arrive early. Signs will be posted to direct both students and their guests to the proper areas. For more information, please see the University Commencement Website.
Checklist for Graduates
- Fill out the Sociology Department Ceremony Survey. All graduating seniors, whether attending or not, must complete this form.
- Update your Graduation information on the Student Link
- Purchase your cap and gown online (March 25th for in-store pickup and May 1st for home delivery).
- Complete your loan exit counseling with the Office of Financial Assistance. Students with Federal Perkins or Federal Direct Stafford Loans will receive instructions from the Financial Assistance Office (Deadline April 30th)
- Settle all account balances with Student Accounting Services (Deadline April 30th)
Students are welcome to invite up to four guests to convocation. While there will be plenty of seating, there are no reserved seats. Guests do not need tickets to enter.
The reception will be held immediately following the ceremony in the main atrium of the Questrom building. All students and guests are invited to participate.
Information about lodging during Commencement Weekend can be found here.
Disability Services for Commencement
BU and the Sociology Department likes to make sure as many Commencement Weekend activities as possible are accessible to all who wish to attend. Information regarding these services, including parking, seating and individual accommodations for the All-University Ceremony can be found at this link.
Students looking for accommodations for themselves or guests at the Sociology Ceremony should also contact Hannah (617-353-2597 or firstname.lastname@example.org) directly, in addition to filling out the Disability Accommodation Form above.
Directions and Parking
Information on parking during Commencement Weekend can be found here. The Rafik B. Hariri Building/Questrom School of Business Garage will be the nearest lot to park in during the ceremony.
Note: due to the large volume of people on campus during Commencement Weekend, we strongly recommend using public transportation.
Day of Ceremony
- Students should arrive in their caps and gowns. You will not be allowed to participate in neither Convocation nor the All-University Ceremony without them, unless you are a member of the ROTC, in which case you would wear your uniform without any honors cords or other decorations. You are allowed to decorate your cap.
- PLEASE ARRIVE BY 8:30 IN YOUR CAP AND GOWN TO LINE UP. There will be two greeters in the lobby – please check in with one of them and they will direct you to the line-up area. You should hand your bags, purses and cameras to your families to hold during the ceremony.
- Please take your time walking across the stage! Take the diploma with your left hand, shake hands with Professor Kibria with your right, and smile for the picture. Oftentimes students will feel rushed across the stage, so be prepared to take a deep breath, smile, and enjoy your moment.
- Tassels should be worn on the right for the start of the ceremony. After you have received your diploma, you may move it to your left.
CPI will contact graduates directly with ordering details in April.
Senior Undergraduate Program Coordinator