Supervisors of student workers are expected to:
- Orient the student in detail to his or her role in the department.
- Explain the standards of behavior expected of employees.
- Provide an overview of the Boston University Policy on Computing Ethics to students who will be using departmental computing facilities.
- Ensure that students comply with FERPA Policy.
- Ensure that student comply with the Student Employment Confidentiality Policy.
- Provide the training necessary to perform tasks.
- Ensure adequate supervision of student work.
- Keep lines of communication open, clear, and constructive.
- Ensure that students do not work during scheduled class times.
- Treat students in accordance with their rights, which are the same as those of all employees as defined by applicable state, federal, and University regulations.
- Provide a work space that is free from hazards.
- Ensure that students are performing the tasks defined in their job descriptions.
- Follow Student Worker Accident Procedures if a student incurs an injury while working.
- Monitor the award balances of Work-Study students under their supervision.
- Verify the accuracy of student time entry.
- Ensure that students take a half-hour (minimum) unpaid break if working six or more continuous hours.
- Set a good example.
Student Employee Job Responsibilities outlines what you should expect from your student employees.