Key Points for Completing Form I-9
All student employees must complete a Form I-9 to work at Boston University and it is vital that these forms be filled out accurately and in a timely manner. This form is required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a division of the Department of Homeland Security.
A new version of the Form I-9 was issued in March 2013. All other versions of the form are no longer valid. Please be sure to use the form dated 03/08/13 in the bottom left hand corner.
A handbook is available for employers and provides guidance on completing the Form I-9.
Below, please find 10 tips to ensure that you’re completing the I-9 correctly:
- If a student has previously completed a Form I-9 at Boston University as a student employee, they do NOT need to complete a new one.
- ALL international students (indicated as “an alien authorized to work” on the I-9) MUST complete their Form I-9 with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) located at 888 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Student employees should complete Section 1 of the Form I-9. Please be sure the student signs and dates the form. Section 1 must be completed by the student no later than the first day of employment.
- Students do not need to fill out the Social Security Number, E-mail Address, or Telephone Number fields of the form. They should write “N/A” to indicate that they are leaving these blank. “N/A” should also be filled out if the student does not have any other names used. Please do not fill in any of these fields on the student’s behalf; the student must complete Section 1 on their own.
- Be sure to write the student’s last name, first name, and middle initial at the beginning of Section 2. This is a new field required on this new version of the I-9 and is frequently missed.
- Supervisors/employers must complete Section 2 of the form by viewing student identification. The student must be present when identifications are reviewed. A list of acceptable IDs may be found on Page 9 of the form. Identifications must be original and unexpired; copies of IDs are not accepted (this is a requirement of the USCIS). Employers must complete Section 2 and Certification within 3 business days of the employee’s first day of employment.
- Be sure to indicate the student’s first day of employment in the Certification section.
- Only pages 7 and 8 of the form need to be returned to the Student Employment Office. Please print double sided, if possible, or paperclip them together. Please do not use staples!
- Please do NOT include copies of the student’s identification.
- After completion, all original student I-9s should be sent to the Student Employment Office at 881 Commonwealth Avenue.
NOTES: You may check to see if a student has completed a Form I-9 by viewing Student Employee Information on the Student Employment section of the Business Link.
If a student has completed an I-9 either at the Student Employment Office or the ISSO, the I-9 information will automatically populate when you hire the student using the New Hire/Rehire function.
An example of a correctly completed Form I-9 may be found here. Please note that this is just a sample; identification options and issuing authorities will vary from student to student.
If you have any questions or concerns about completing the Form I-9 with your student employees, please call the Student Employment Office at 617-353-3594.
Thank you in advance for your help in this matter!