Key Points for Completing Form I-9
All student employees must complete an electronic Form I-9 to work at Boston University and it is vital that these forms be filled out accurately and in a timely manner. This form is required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a division of the Department of Homeland Security.
For domestic students, the hiring department will direct the student to go on-line to the Form I-9 Compliance Portal and complete Section 1. Once Section 1 is completed, an authorized staff member will then be able to access the student’s information via the supervisor Form I-9 Compliance Portal and complete Section 2 of the I-9. Payroll Coordinators are authorized to assign I-9 access to staff within their departments.
Once Section 2 of the Form I-9 has been completed, the student can be hired via the New Hire/Rehire function located on the Student Employment section of the Business Link.
For international students, the student will complete Section 1, but should go to the International Student and Scholars Office to have Section 2 completed.
IMPORTANT: Usage of the electronic form I-9 is covered under your university data security agreement and federal perjury laws. Misuse of the electronic form I-9 is subject to University and Federal penalties.
If you have any questions or concerns about completing the Form I-9 with your student employees, please call the Student Employment Office at 617-353-3594.
I-9 Completion Tip
- If a student has previously completed a Form I-9 at Boston University as a student employee, they do NOT need to complete a new one.
- ALL international students (indicated as “an alien authorized to work” on the I-9) MUST complete their Form I-9 with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) located at 888 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Student employees must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 prior to or on their first day of employment.
- Students are not required to fill out the Social Security Number, E-mail Address, or Telephone Number fields of the form.
- Supervisors/employers must complete Section 2 of the form by viewing student identification. The student must be present when identifications are reviewed. A list of acceptable IDs are available through the Form I-9 Portal. Identifications must be original and unexpired; copies of identifications are not accepted (this is a requirement of the USCIS). Employers must complete Section 2 and Certification no later than three business days after the student’s employment date.
- You may check to see if a student has completed a Form I-9 by viewing Student Employee Information on the Student Employment section of the Business Link.
- Once a student has completed an I-9, the I-9 information will automatically populate when you hire the student using the New Hire/Rehire function.
- You will not be able to enter hiring information for a student employee until the electronic has been properly completed.
Note: You may check to see if a student has completed a Form I-9 by viewing Student Employee Information on the Student Employment section of the Business Link. If a student has completed an I-9 either at the Student Employment Office or the ISSO, the I-9 information will automatically populate when you hire the student using the New Hire/Rehire function.