Key Points for Completing Form I-9
All student employees must complete a Form I-9 to work at Boston University and it is vital that these forms be filled out accurately and in a timely manner. This form is required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a division of the Department of Homeland Security.
The Form I-9 may be found here. Only pages 7 and 8 need to be completed. Please print double sided, if possible. If not, please do not use staples. Do not attach any other forms or documents to the I-9.
A handbook is available for employers and provides guidance on completing the Form I-9.
If you have any questions or concerns about completing the Form I-9 with your student employees, please call the Student Employment Office at 617-353-3594.
I-9 Completion Tips
- If a student has previously completed a Form I-9 at Boston University as a student employee, they do NOT need to complete a new one.
- ALL international students (indicated as “an alien authorized to work” on the I-9) MUST complete their Form I-9 with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) located at 888 Commonwealth Avenue. Student Employment cannot process international student I-9s sent by departments other than the ISSO.
- Student employees should complete Section 1 of the Form I-9. Please be sure the student signs and dates the form. Section 1 must be completed by the student no later than the first day of employment.
- Students do not need to fill out the Social Security Number, E-mail Address, or Telephone Number fields of the form. They should write “N/A” to indicate that they are leaving these blank. “N/A” should also be filled out if the student does not have any other names used. Please do not fill in any of these fields on the student’s behalf; the student must complete Section 1 on their own.
- Be sure to write the student’s last name, first name, and middle initial at the beginning of Section 2. This field is frequently missed.
- Supervisors/employers must complete Section 2 of the form by viewing student identification. The student must be present when identifications are reviewed. A list of acceptable IDs may be found on Page 9 of the form. Identifications must be original and unexpired; copies of IDs are not accepted (this is a requirement of the USCIS). Employers must complete Section 2 and Certification within 3 business days of the employee’s first day of employment.
- Be sure to indicate the student’s first day of employment in the Certification section.
- Please do NOT include copies of the student’s identification when submitting I-9s to SEO.
- Please help us process I-9s faster by writing the students BUID number at the top of the first page and by ensuring that the I-9 is not stapled and no other forms or documents are attached to the I-9.
- After completion, all original student I-9s should be hand delivered to the Student Employment Office at 881 Commonwealth Avenue.
- All I-9s delivered to the Student Employment Office should be accompanied by this cover sheet, which indicates where the I-9s are from and how many are included.
- Boston University Medical School departments may submit student I-9s to Student Employment by using the mail slot located at the Medical School Mail Room, 80 East Concord Street (Evans Building) Room B42. I-9s must be in an envelope without holes (interdepartmental envelopes should not be used) and they must be securely sealed. Be sure to include the I-9 cover sheet indicating the number of I-9s you are enclosing. No loose forms should ever be dropped in the mail slot. The envelopes should be addressed to:
881 Commonwealth Ave, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02215