Hiring Work-Study Students
When hiring a student, check with your payroll coordinator for the proper procedures for your department.
Work-Study Award Confirmation
Students with Work-Study are instructed to bring their Award Confirmation form to the hiring supervisor. This form, printed from the Student Link, includes the student’s Work-Study award amount and can be used as a hiring form if your payroll coordinator needs you to submit paperwork. This form does not need to be sent to Student Employment.
I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
Students who have never worked at BU need to complete an I-9. This may be done either in the hiring department or at the FirstPoint Office at 881 Commonwealth Ave., 2nd floor. International students should be directed to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) 888 Commonwealth Ave, 3rd floor to complete their I-9s. Please note that incoming freshmen often complete their I-9 at summer orientation. To verify whether a student has completed an I-9, go to Student Employee Information on the Business Link and enter the student’s UID and the current semester and year. If the student record appears, the I-9 Mail Code field should indicate that the student has completed his/her I-9 if the I-9 Mail Code field if filled in with an SEM##. Mail Code. If the I-9 mail code field has a PRBI9 the student needs to complete a new I-9.
- If the error message “not found on Student Employment file” appears, the student needs to complete an I-9. The student may do so in your office.
- Do not allow a student to commence working until the I-9 has been completed.
See Key Points for Completing the I-9 for information on completing this form.
If the student has never worked at BU, he or she needs to submit a W-4. If a W-4 is not completed the student will be taxed at the highest rate: single with zero dependants.
Direct all students to the Work section of the Student Link to complete a Direct Deposit Authorization only after they’ve received their first paper paycheck from the University.
Students involved in University supported research in certain mailcodes are required to sign a Patent Policy Agreement.
Student Employment Confidentiality Policy
This is a Student Employment Business Link function. Enter according to your departmental procedures. You need permit E650 to hire students. Note: If you are still submitting paper Student Employee Authorizations (SEAs) to Student Payroll for processing, please set up a time for training on the Student Payroll Business Link functions.
Select new hire if:
- Hiring a student who has never worked in your department before.
- Hiring a student into a new job within your department (i.e. promotion). Remember to carry over longevity increases.
- Changing the type of employment (e.g. Work-Study to departmental). Remember to carry over longevity increases.
Select rehire if:
- Hiring a student into the same job number he or she has previously held. Use the same unit department and grade level. Longevity increases will automatically calculate.
Samples of online hire: