Hiring Work-Study Students
When hiring a student, check with your payroll coordinator for the proper procedures for your department.
Work-Study Award Confirmation
Students with Work-Study are instructed to bring their Award Confirmation form to the hiring supervisor. This form, printed from the Student Link, includes the student’s Work-Study award amount and can be used as a hiring form if your payroll coordinator needs you to submit paperwork.
I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
Students who have never worked at BU need to complete an I-9 in the presence of a BU staff member. To verify whether a student has completed an I-9, go to Student Employee Information on the Business Link and enter the student’s UID and the current semester and year.
- If the student record appears, the I-9 is on file at the identified I-9 MAILCODE. Important: If the I-9 MAILCODE is FWS01 the student needs to complete an I-9.
- If the error message “not found on Student Employment file” appears, the student needs to complete an I-9. The student may do so in your office.
See Key Points for Completing the I-9 for information on completing this form.
If the student has never worked at BU, he or she needs to submit a W-4. If a W-4 is not completed the student will be taxed at the highest rate: single with zero dependants.
Direct all students to the Work section of the Student Link to complete a Direct Deposit Authorization only after they’ve received their first paper paycheck from the University.
Students involved in University supported research in certain mailcodes are required to sign a Patent Policy Agreement.
This is a Student Employment Business Link function. Enter according to your departmental procedures. You need permit E650 to hire students. Note: If you are still submitting paper Student Employee Authorizations (SEAs) to Student Payroll for processing, please set up a time for training on the Student Payroll Business Link functions.
Select new hire if:
- Hiring a student who has never worked in your department before.
- Hiring a student into a new job within your department (i.e. promotion). Remember to carry over longevity increases.
- Changing the type of employment (e.g. Work-Study to departmental). Remember to carry over longevity increases.
Select rehire if:
- Hiring a student into the same job number he or she has previously held. Use the same unit department and grade level. Longevity increases will automatically calculate.
Samples of online hire: