Freshman Work-Study Summer Job Fairs
The Freshman Work-Study Summer Job Fairs allow students to meet with participating supervisors during Summer Orientation. Some students will be able to secure Work-Study jobs prior to their arrival on campus during these informal meetings at the Orientation sessions.
Securing a job over the summer means that you won’t have to look for a job and go to interviews when you arrive on campus. You can even start working during the first week of classes.
There will positions available in a broad range of areas. Schedules are flexible and training is provided.
How to Participate
- If you haven’t already done so, obtain a BU login name and kerberos password from Boston University’s Early Bird Program.
- Review the Job Fair flier mailed to entering Freshmen with important information on hiring documents you will need to fill out.
- Review emails sent out in the weeks leading up to your Orientation that list featured jobs you may be interested in.
- Attend a Work-Study workshop the Friday morning of your Summer Orientation session. Work-Study sessions are held every 10-15 minutes from 10 a.m. to noon, on the 5th floor of the George Sherman Union at 775 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Meet and talk to supervisors after attending a brief Work-Study overview session. Take information with you to review again in the fall, or secure a job that day so you can begin working at the start of your fall semester.
- Complete Form I-9 and Form W-4, as outlined in Required Paperwork.
If you accept a position during Orientation, you will receive a reminder about the the details of your placement, including job description, pay rate, and supervisor’s name and contact information. Please contact your supervisor by the end of the first week of classes to set up or confirm your schedule.
If You Prefer Not to Be Participate…
You may look for a job in the fall if you elect not to participate in the Mini Job Fairs. The Fall Work-Study Job Directory will be available in mid-August on the Student Link. See Finding a Work-Study Job for more information. We still encourage you to attend the brief Work-Study overview at Orientation.
We can’t wait to see you this summer!