Payroll and Taxes

International students follow the same paycheck procedures as other student employees, and are eligible to choose direct deposit once they have a Social Security number.

International students are subject to both federal and state income taxes. Students from countries that have tax treaties with the United States, however, may be eligible to exempt a portion of their earnings from taxes. Tax Information for International Students provides details about tax treaties as well as general tax information.

If you are an international student working on campus, contact the Main Payroll Office to find out if your income is eligible for any tax treaty benefit by emailing