Form I-9 Policy
- The hiring department is responsible for ensuring that any new student employee (never having worked or been paid by Boston University) completes Section 1 of the electronic Form I-9 prior to or on the first day of employment.
- Section 2 of the electronic Form I-9 must be completed in the presence of an authorized BU staff member, either at the hiring department; at FirstPoint Customer Service Center, located at 881 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd floor; or for International Students, the International Student and Scholars Office, located at 888 Commonwealth Avenue. Supervisors may not allow a student to work beyond 3 days if the student has not completed a Form I-9.
- Payroll Coordinators have been authorized to assign departmental staff access to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9 for any student hires within their Unit/departments. Click here if you are a payroll coordinator and want to assign staff access to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9.
- Important: The Form I-9 is required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a division of the Department of Home Land Security.
- IMPORTANT: Usage of the electronic form I-9 is covered under your university data security agreement and federal perjury laws. Misuse of the electronic form I-9 is subject to University and Federal penalties.
- Documents presented in order to complete the Form I-9 must be originals. Copies are not acceptable. Once viewed, documents should be returned to the student. We do not maintain copies of the documentation.
- All international students must go to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO)to complete Form I-9.
Key points for filling out the Form I-9 may be found here.