Form I-9 Policy
- The hiring department is responsible for ensuring that any new student employee completes a Form I-9 prior to or on the first day of employment.
- The Form I-9 must be completed in the presence of a BU staff member, either at the hiring department or at FirstPoint, located at 881 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd
- Payroll Coordinators are responsible for making sure that supervisors adhere to this policy. Supervisors may not allow a student to work if the student has not completed an I-9.
- All I-9s completed on the Charles River Campus must be hand delivered to the Student Employment Office upon completion. Medical School departments may submit student I-9s to Student Employment by using the mail slot located at the Medical School Mail Room, 80 East Concord Street (Evans Building) Room B42. I-9s must be in an envelope without holes (interdepartmental envelopes should not be used) and they must be securely sealed. Be sure to include the I-9 cover sheet indicating the number of I-9s you are enclosing. No loose forms should ever be dropped in the mail slot. The envelopes should be addressed to: Student Employment, 881 Commonwealth Ave., 2nd Floor Boston, MA 02215.
- A Form I-9 cover sheet should accompany any I-9s submitted to Student Employment for processing.
- Copies of I-9 should not be retained by the department and supporting documentation should not accompany the I-9 when sent to SE.
- All international students must go to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) to complete Form I-9.
- Key points for filling out the Form I-9 may be found here.
- Please be aware that missing or incomplete I-9 could result in the University incurring significant fines from the USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services).