Off-Campus Supervisor Responsibilities
While each agency has its own standards for supervision of employees, supervisors of Boston University Work-Study students must also comply with those established by BU Work-Study.
When supervising Work-Study students, supervisors are expected to:
- Explain to the student his or her role in the agency and/or department.
- Explain the standards of behavior expected of employees.
- Provide training in skills and procedures necessary to perform tasks.
- Ensure adequate supervision of student work.
- Keep lines of communication open, clear, and constructive.
- Ensure that students are not scheduled to work during established class times.
- Treat all students in accordance with their rights, which are the same as all employees’ rights as defined by applicable state, federal, and University regulations.
- Monitor the student’s Work-Study award balance.
- Ensure the accuracy of student timesheets.
- Give students a half-hour (minimum) unpaid break if working six or more continuous hours.
- Provide a work space that is free from hazards.
- Report any student workplace accidents or injuries to the BU Work-Study Manager immediately.