Boston University offers Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (MA DESE) approved programs for licensure at both the undergraduate (Baccalaureate) and graduate (Post-Baccalaureate) levels.
Successful completion of BU program requirement leads to endorsement for licensure to the MA DESE. Program endorsement, along with successful completion of Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTELs), enables students to receive an Initial license as an educator in MA.
Some program completers may choose to teach in states other than Massachusetts. Many states require a license from the state in which the approved program was completed in order to be eligible for the license in the receiving state. Massachusetts is a member interstate compact (NASDTEC Interstate Agreement) which facilitates approval for licensure in all other states. While this reciprocity agreement will make it easier to become licensed in another state, it does not mean that there is an automatic transfer of licenses among participating states. Often one will have to take state specific tests or fulfill other requirements to achieve licensure in another state. Information about how to learn about requirements in other states can be viewed here.
Below are links to information about the types of programs offered at BU and about the process for securing a licensure through the MA DESE.
- List of Massachusetts Approved Educator Licensure Programs offered by Boston University
- Massachusetts License Types & Requirements
- The Candidate Assessment of Performance (CAP) required for endorsement in MA
- Steps to Secure an Educator License for BU Students
- The Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Information
- Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (DESE) Call Center Information
- Fingerprinting Information
- Job Search Sites and Advice
- For Alumni of Boston University
University Licensure Office Contact Information:
Educator Licensure Office
School of Education, Room 113
Two Silber Way, Boston, MA 02215
(617) 353-3239 | firstname.lastname@example.org