Policies and Procedures

University Bulletin

The Boston University Bulletin is a comprehensive online document containing descriptions and requirements for all programs, course listings, faculty listings, and university policies.

Academic Conduct Code

Boston University’s Academic Conduct Code is designed to assist in the development of a supportive and productive learning environment. It is both a description of the University’s ethical expectations of students as well as a guarantee of students’ rights and responsibilities as members of a learning community. The Code provides clarity related to policy and procedure regarding academic conduct.

Academic Standards

The Faculty Assembly’s Academic Instruction and Standards Committee has empowered the Office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs to review the records of all students enrolled in School of Education degree/licensure programs at the close of each semester. Using the criteria outlined, the School shall warn a student of failure to make satisfactory progress, or place a student on probation, or may require a student to withdraw.

Please review all standards here.

Code of Academic and Professional Conduct

The School of Education Code of Academic and Professional Conduct was prepared by the School of Education’s Academic Instruction Committee (AIC) and approved by the SED Faculty Assembly. All persons who are members of the School of Education community including students, faculty, and staff are expected to be familiar with the contents of this document. All students will be held to the standards described herein.

It is the policy of the School of Education that all students receive copies of this document, the School of Education Code of Academic and Professional Conduct, upon entry into their first SED course and are obliged to read the policies, procedures, sanctions, and definitions described herein. All students are required to sign a form indicating receipt of this Code and return the signed form to the course instructor. The School keeps a record of each student’s signature on file.


At the beginning of the semester, faculty will be asked to record attendance for each of their classes. Please submit this information by the deadline provided so the attendance can be processed in a timely fashion. Attendance indication assists the Registrar’s office in recording student attendance and indicates to the University Service Center which student(s) may need outreach for attendance.

The university policy for attendance can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Class Scheduling
The university schedule is developed by January 20th for the next fall semester, by March 20th for the next spring semester.  The schedule is developed amongst the academic clusters and submitted to the SED Records Office.  The schedule goes up online for student planning approximately one month before registration for the semester begins. The Academic Cluster Coordinator and the Dean’s Office must approve requests for changes after the deadline. There is no guarantee that the change request can be accommodated.

Classroom Assignments
The BU Registrar’s Scheduling Office makes room assignments according to course enrollments. If the assigned room for a class is inadequate in terms of size or access to instructional technology, a request can be made through the Academic Cluster Coordinator for a different classroom.  Classroom requests should be made during the class-scheduling period. There is no guarantee that a change can be made after these dates.

Book Orders
Textbooks for classes can be ordered through the Barnes and Noble textbook website.  Once on the website select “faculty”; detailed instructions on how to place orders can be found on top of page. Book orders may be placed by fax at 617-236-0743 or by calling the Course Book Order Office at Barnes and Noble at Boston University, 617-236-7469.

At the end of the semester, grades are posted electronically through the Facultylink.  Grades are to be posted no later than 48 hours after the final exam is given.  Instructors will need a BU email address and password to access web grading and will be notified by email by the Registrar’s Office as soon as web grading is available for a particular classes.  Please read the grading instructions carefully. Once grades are submitted, DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS SUBMIT.  Only the instructor of record can submit grades.  No staff member is allowed to post grades.

The university policy for Grades and Course Credit can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Incomplete Policy
Incomplete grades can be granted by an instructor, upon completion of the SED Incomplete Grade Contract. Both the student and the instructor are to fill out this contract in order to dictate the completion deadline and circumstances of an incomplete grade. The signed form should be returned to the Records office, SED127 for processing. Incomplete grades should not be awarded without this contract.

The SED Incomplete Grade Contract can be found here.

Course Evaluations
Students evaluate all courses at the end of the semester.  Course evaluation forms will be distributed to the faculty member approximately three weeks before the end of the semester.  Please follow the guidelines for conducting the evaluation and have the completed forms returned by a student to  the Associate Dean’s Office (Room 342) by the date requested. This critically important course evaluation process, an SED requirement, produces evaluations used in many different ways at the School of Education. Faculty will always receive a summary of the evaluations that were submitted.

Disability Statement
The SED Disability Statement was approved by the Boston University School of Education Faculty Assembly on March 18, 2009 for inclusion on all SED course syllabi beginning Summer 2009.

The statement can be found under the Materials/Document link on the Faculty Blackboard Site.

New Course Development and Professional Development Programs

New Course Proposal
For information and required forms for new course proposal, please contact Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs, Dr. Kathleen Vaughan.

Deadlines & Procedures
New Course Proposals for the spring academic term are due September 30.  Course proposals for the summer and fall academic term are due January 31. Faculty must approve Course Proposals, with signatures from the Program Coordinator before they are sent to the Academic Cluster Council. The original of the approved, signed Proposals for fall and spring courses should be sent to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Dr. Kathleen Vaughan.  A copy of the approved Course Proposal Form should also be sent by email attachment to all current members of the Academic Cluster Council. 
Please make certain that all sections of the form are complete before submitting to the appropriate cluster for review.

Professional Development Programs
For information and required forms for professional development programs, please contact Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Dr. Kathleen Vaughan.

Advising and Registration

Faculty Link
Administrative systems available through the Faculty Link provide faculty access to class schedules, student academic records, class lists, advisee lists, and final exam schedules, as well as academic and contact information for students in their current classes. In addition, faculty can initiate the automatic generation of course sites, post final grades for their courses, send e-mail to a class list, and perform other functions. The link allows for grading, advising and note-taking online and has full integration with University-wide business processes. The Office of Student Records assigns undergraduate academic advisors.  The Graduate Admissions Office assigns graduate academic advisors.

Academic Advising Codes for Undergraduate Students
Students are responsible for consulting with their academic advisors for the purpose of course selection.  Advisors will receive the Advising Authorization Code (AAC) from the Student Records Office well in advance of scheduling advising appointments.  Advisors are expected to post specific registration advising hours, as necessary, to meet with students for advisement on course selection.  Once an advisor has met with a student, and they have settled upon course selections, the advisor gives the student the AAC.  The AAC serves as both the advisor’s approval and a PIN number that allows the student to register via the WebReg system.

New students are ineligible to use WebReg and should register using a paper registration form at the School of Education Office of Student Records. An Add/Drop form is used to change a graded class to an audited class, and to register for a course requiring a signature from an instructor. Registration Forms, as well as many other frequently used forms can be found online.

Dual Degree
To initiate the application process, students are required to meet with the BUDD Coordinator in their schools.  The Student Services Office handles all administrative aspects of BUDD admission at the School of Education.  After the initial meeting, student will consult with an SED advisor regarding requirements. Students must have completed one full year of academic study before they are eligible to apply for BUDD.  Freshmen entering the University with a minimum of 16 advanced placement credits and transfer students may initiate the application process in their second semester of full-time attendance.

Intra-University Transfer
IUTs are required to follow the registration process of the School/College from which they are transferring.  Students in the process of an Intra-University Transfer should first meet with the Student Services Office, Rm. 243, for course selection advising. Guidelines set for an Intra-University Transfer can be found here on the SED website.

The university policy for Intra-University Transfer can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Class Status
The class status of undergraduate students is determined by the total number of earned semester credits, which includes credits for Boston University courses, transfer courses, and advanced placement credits, as outlined below:

0 – 16 First Semester Freshman
17 – 32 Second Semester Freshman
33 – 48 First Semester Sophomore
49 – 64 Second Semester Sophomore
65 – 80 First Semester Junior
81 – 96 Second Semester Junior
97 – 112 First Semester Senior
113 – 128 Second Semester Senior

Independent Study
Masters and CAGS students are not permitted to enroll for more than four semester credits of Independent Study as part of his/her minimum degree requirements. Non-degree students are not permitted to take independent studies.  Graduate students must fill out the Independent Study form to register.  Students CANNOT register online for an Independent Study. Student must complete a waiver petition, found under ‘Registration Forms’ on the website, to request an additional Independent study.

Directed Study
Undergraduate students are not permitted to enroll for more than 8 semester credits of Directed Study as part of their minimum degree requirements. The Directed-Independent Study Form can be found under ‘Registration Forms’ on the website.

Boston University requires all students studying on Massachusetts’ campuses to provide a BU Alert phone number. Boston University requires all students to settle their Financial Obligation each semester. Massachusetts’ law requires that all full-time and many part-time students be Immunized against a number of diseases in order to attend a university in the Commonwealth. The Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Law requires that all out-of-state students sign an acknowledgement that they have been informed of the law (compliance required in the Fall semester only). Students should check the Studentlink to ensure they have met these requirements. Students not in compliance will be unable to register for future semesters.

Course Overload
Course overload approval is required for students registering for more than 18 semester credits in either the Fall or Spring semester.  In general, undergraduates are allowed to take up to 20 semester credits without incurring additional tuition charges if they: maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher or are seniors and need to take a fifth course in order to meet degree requirements.

The university policy for Course Overload can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Cross Registration
Cross registration is a formal agreement between Boston University and several local colleges and universities whereby BU students can attend courses at other institutions, and students from other institutions can attend courses at BU. The primary schools in the cross-registration consortium are Boston College, Brandeis University, Tufts University, and Hebrew College. Students must obtain four authorization signatures to complete cross-registration: home Registrar’s signature to verify student’s matriculation and good standing, advisor’s or Dean’s signature to verify the student’s department has given authorization, course instructor’s signature, host Registrar’s signature.

The university policy for Cross Registration can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Registration Dates
Dates and times for student registration can be found on the University Registrar’s Website here. Before registering, students should meet with their faculty advisors for information on the specific program requirements and advising codes.

The university policy for Registration can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Degree Advice
Now live for all undergraduate students, the Degree Advice program tracks a student’s progress towards degree.  To access the Degree Advice program for your advisees, enter through the Faculty Link.  Select a student and click on Degree Advice at the top of the page.

Copies of students’ paper work is no longer kept in physical folders.  All materials are uploaded to the OnBase program.  If you need to access a copy of a student’s paper work, please contact the Office of Student Records at 617-353-4235.

Student Notes
Via the Faculty Link, advisors have the ability to take notes on their advisees.  These notes can be used to keep track of discussions of academic programs and requirements.

Student Records

Leave of Absence/Withdrawal and Reinstatement
An Official Leave of Absence/Withdrawal is required: In any case in which a student will not be registered at Boston University, or with a Boston University-affiliated program, during fall or spring semester or In any case in which a student has registered for courses and later finds it necessary to drop all of his/her courses (a Class Adjustment Form cannot drop all courses).

Students use this form to take a leave of absence (up to 4 semesters) or withdraw from Boston University. The form should be returned to SED127 or the University Student Center, 881 Commonwealth Ave. for immediate processing. The add/drop and withdrawal policies can be found here.

Reinstatement is required for any degree candidate who withdrew from the University, or was withdrawn by the School, but who wishes to return to the former degree program. Students who have not taken courses at BU for several semesters need to petition for reinstatement. Students must fill out this form and return to the Records office to obtain signatures at least 2 months prior to intended registration semester.

The policy for a Leave of Absence/Withdrawal can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Part-time Status (Undergrad)

Undergraduate students who wish to change their status to part-time, must submit a Petition for Administrative Waiver of Standard Rules and Regulations to the SED Records office. If a student requests part-time status after registering for a full-time course load, he or she must submit a completed Class Adjustment Form together with the Petition to the SED Records office.

Certified Full-Time Status
Certified full time status is for those US citizens who have completed all course work and who will be engaged in writing a dissertation. Certified full-time status could also be for those international students who are in their last semester of coursework, but are registered for less than full time credits. Graduate students who desire to be certified as a full-time student must submit the application for Certified Full-time Status form found on the wall outside Student Records, Rm. 127.  Certified full time status candidates must submit an application each semester they request the status, students are limited to 4 semesters of Certified full time with part time enrollment.

Petition Rights
Students may petition for exceptions to School of Education policy and/or academic requirement(s) by completing a Petition for Administrative Waiver of Standard Rules and Regulations.  Information concerning the petition process is available from the SED Records Office, Room 127, 617-353-4235. A waiver form is needed to petition for exceptions to School of Education policy and/or academic requirement(s).

Transfer Credits
As of Summer 2011, Boston University will no longer give credit for online courses, unless they are education courses, which are limited to 2.

Pre-approval: Students fill out the Request to Transfer External Credits form with their advisor.
Advisor circles “pre-approval” and dates accordingly.  Student attaches a copy of the syllabus for the class. Syllabi can be obtained by calling or emailing the school or professor of the course and having them email a copy of the course syllabus.  The student brings the form and syllabus to the Records Office where it will be sent to the appropriate University Department for signatures and approval. Once signatures have been obtained, the Records Office will contact the student.  When the course has been completed, the student sends a sealed Official Transcript to the Records Office, 2 Silber Way, Room 127. The Records Office will enter the equivalent and send email notification to the student and the advisor.

Approval: If a course has already been completed, then the student must fill out the Request to Transfer External Credits form with their advisor and attach a copy of the syllabus and the sealed official transcript. Bring all materials to the Records Office.  * For economics classes, include a photocopy of the textbook’s table of contents.  The Records Office will track the Request to Transfer External Credits form for BU Department, advisor, and department chair approvals. Advisor and Department Chair need to circle “approved” or “not approved”.  Once the paperwork is returned to the Records Office with all of the appropriate signatures, the Records Office will enter the equivalent and send email notification to the student and the advisor.  **SED Academic Cluster Coordinator will be sent Requests to Transfer External Credits from other BU students seeking external credit for education classes.

The university policy for Transfer Credits can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Official Transcripts can be ordered through the Office of the University Registrar here.

The university policy for Transcripts can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

All students intending to graduate must apply to graduate no later than 3 months before their anticipated graduation date. Students need submit an unofficial transcript with the completed graduation application. Undergraduates must also submit a degree audit from the Studentlink.  For more information, and the Graduation checklist: click here.

Boston University has Commencement and Convocation ceremonies in May only. If students are scheduled to graduate in either September or January, they will be invited to participate in the May ceremonies following the date of graduation. Undergraduate and master’s students (not EdD) are allowed to “walk” in May if they have 8 or fewer credits to complete over the Summer Session, and have filed a Graduation Application to walk with the SED Student Records Office, Room 127.

The university policy for Academic Progress and Graduation can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Latin Honors
Among graduating seniors in each school and college, the top five percent will be awarded degrees summa cum laude, the next ten percent will be awarded degrees magna cum laude, and the next fifteen percent will be awarded degrees cum laude.

The university policy for Graduation with Honors can be found here within the SED Bulletin.

Undergraduate Programs and Requirements

A student who receives a high school diploma from an accredited high school, or who receives an equivalent diploma awarded by the state, and who resides in the United States, is entitled to seek admission to the Boston University School of Education.  Mid-year applicants are encouraged to apply and may seek admission as late as November for the following spring.  See the Boston University Admissions website for more information.

Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
Undergraduate studies at the School of Education are designed to help prepare students to become professional educators in any one of several related fields. Competency is developed in four kinds of courses: (1) general studies in the liberal arts and sciences; (2) specialized knowledge based on concentration in a discipline or field; (3) professional studies in instructional design, human development, communications, and evaluation; and (4) practical skills acquired through guided and supervised field experiences.  An overview of SED undergraduate studies can be found here in the SED Bulletin.

Undergraduates must complete English and Liberal/General Studies requirements in addition to SED Professional Studies requirements.

Specific program requirements can be found in the University Bulletin.

Undergraduate minors are universal at Boston University.  SED undergraduates who wish to declare a minor should obtain an Application for Minor Form. This form is used for Undergraduate students to declare a minor either in SED or across campus. Students will need approval from the minor department and academic advisor. The Associate Dean will sign when all minor courses are completed.

Requirements for the three SED minors can be found on the SED website.

Licensure Only (CAS Students)
CAS students majoring in secondary subjects may qualify for enrollment in SED’s Teacher Licensure Program.  If accepted, such students may complete secondary licensure requirements simultaneously with their liberal arts degree requirements.  Students are required to consult with the appropriate Academic Cluster Coordinator to inquire about program requirements and the application process.

AP Scores
Upon entrance to SED, all undergraduates’ records are reviewed and advanced placement or course credits are awarded for officially reported qualifying scores on Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate Examinations (IBE).  The SED Office of Student Records evaluates these scores and the Office of International Admissions evaluates students’ IBE scores. At the start of each semester, the SED Records Office forwards lists of advisees to all undergraduate academic advisors.  Academic advisors are responsible for reviewing all online AP evaluations and verifying the correct distribution of advanced placement in their advisees’ academic programs.  Boston University award eight credits for test scores of 5, 6, or 7 on most higher-level International Baccalaureate examinations.

ROTC Course Credit
SED accepts up to 8 semester credits of military science course credits toward meeting the minimum undergraduate degree requirements. Students may petition to have up to an additional 8 semester credits apply toward the minimum degree requirements.  (Petitions must be filed prior to the senior year).

Foreign Language Placement
With the exception of Bilingual Education and Modern Foreign Language Education, the School of Education does not have a foreign language requirement at the undergraduate level.  A placement exam is required for most students whose most recent coursework in French, German, Hebrew, Italian or Spanish was taken in high school or at a college other than Boston University and who intend to continue their foreign language studies here.  Students may also be placed in foreign language courses according to scores received on Advanced Placement exams or a SAT-II Foreign Language Subject Examination in French, German, Italian, Latin or Spanish. Students who are proficient in a foreign language because they are native speakers should be directed to the CAS Undergraduate Advising Office (725 Comm. Ave., Room 105, 617- 353-2400) for the procedure to have the language proficiency reflected on their official records.

SAT/ACT Exemption
Upon entrance to SED, all undergraduates’ records are reviewed and advanced placement or course credits are awarded for officially reported qualifying scores on Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT-I) and the American College Test (ACT), SAT-II Foreign Language Subject Examinations. The choice of a mathematics course is an academic programs prerogative.  Students are exempt from the math requirement based on a score of 580 or higher on the quantitative section of the SAT-I or a score of 23 or higher on the ACT Mathematics Test.

Study/Teach Abroad
The School of Education offers overseas student teaching programs in London, England; Sydney, Australia; and Quito, Ecuador.  Contact Jenn Bryson at jbryson@bu.edu for more information.  The majority of Boston University International Programs are coordinated by the Office of International Programs, which provides undergraduate students with information concerning overseas study, work, scholarship and travel opportunities.  Students can study abroad with the prior approval of SED and the International Programs Office.

Graduate Programs and Requirements

Graduate Admissions
Graduate Application Procedures
The application for admission should be completed online. Information about required materials, as well as a link to the application itself, can also be found online.  Any questions about application policies, components, etc. should be directed to Graduate Admissions.

All programs have strongly recommended deadlines, though SED does accept applications on a rolling basis, space-permitting.  Students should submit ALL application components before or on the recommended deadline for the most ideal application processing timeline and for the best chance of receiving a doctoral fellowship or merit scholarship. Late applicants rarely receive fellowships or scholarships.

Required Materials
Information on required graduate study application’s components can be found on the admissions website, with a detailed explanation of each item and information on submission of official documents.Please feel free to direct questions (from yourself or from students) to us at Graduate Admissions, 617-353-4237 or sedgrad@bu.edu.

Graduate Scholarships and Financial Aid
SED Doctoral Fellowships
Incoming students who are applying to an EdD program may submit an additional essay in order to be considered for a position as one of approximately 10 incoming fellows. Fellowship selection is discussed by a Scholarship Selection Committee and ultimately determined by the Dean of the School. As of 2011/12, there are three varieties of doctoral fellowship; all fellowships offer the same four-year compensation package, though the focus of the fellows’ work varies. The Glenn Fellowship focuses on research, the Dean’s Fellowship focuses on leadership and service, and the Departmental Fellowship focuses on curriculum and teaching. For specific details on fellowship packages and fellow responsibilities, please check with Graduate Financial Aid. Please note that fellowship contracts have changed over the years, so fellows from different cohorts may have different packages.

SED Merit Scholarships
Matriculating and continuing Master’s or CAGS students may apply for SED merit scholarships. Scholarships are not available for part-time students. Merit scholarship decisions for incoming students are made at the time of admission by the relevant Academic Cluster Chair. Decisions for continuing students are made by a Scholarship Committee, with the help of a required faculty recommendation letter. Continuing doctoral students may also apply for merit scholarship, primarily if they are attempting to complete their two semesters of full-time residency.

Federal Financial Aid
The United States Department of Education offers several federal aid programs to graduate students. Students must meet eligibility criteria, such as US citizenship or permanent residency, lack of specific kinds of criminal/judicial records, registration with selective service if required, etc. Eligibility is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, and supporting documentation if requested by the school. BU participates in several federal loan programs (Perkins, Stafford, and PLUS) as well as the federal work-study program. To apply for federal aid, students must submit the FAFSA and the relevant aid request forms (found online at  or in the Graduate Financial Aid office). Most graduate students piece together an aid package from several types of assistance, such as scholarships, loans, assistantships/employment, etc.

Graduate Degree Requirements
SED offers graduate programs leading to initial licensure as a teacher, counselor, or administrator, as well as programs of advanced studies for practitioners and scholars. Graduate programs at the School of Education offer specialized work to individuals in many areas of education including early childhood education; higher education; special education; counseling; and policy, planning, and administration. The flexible, interdisciplinary nature of the School’s more than 20 programs reflects demands being placed on aspiring educators in all areas and responds to the realities of a changing educational environment. An overview of SED Graduate Studies can be found here in the SED Bulletin.

Specific program requirements can be found in the university bulletin.

University Guidelines on Research Review
Any proposed funded student research conducted under the auspices of BU, whether or not the research involves human subjects, must submit a Charles River Campus Institutional Review Board Research Application to the Charles River Campus Institutional Review Board for review and approval.

Any proposed unfunded student research (including dissertation research, pilot dissertation research, or a research project under faculty guidance) conducted under the auspices of BU, should submit a SED-IRB Research Application rather than a CRC-IRB Research Application. Material for SED-IRB submission can be found outside of Room SED 231. This does not apply to research, that involves other than minimal risk (see below); such research must be reviewed and approved by the CRC-IRB.

Any faculty/staff/student who conducts funded or unfunded research other than under the auspices of BU, whether or not the research involves human subjects, is not subject to review by the CRC-IRB.

Any student who conducts research as part of a class assignment is not automatically subject to review by the CRC-IRB or the SED-IRB. However, the instructor is responsible for seeing that the general guidelines of 45 CFR 46, particularly the sections involving informed consent and issues of minimal risk are adhered to. If, subsequently, the student elects to publish this work, SED-IRB must first be obtained.  If the research, as a class assignment, has potential for publications, it is recommended that the student seek SED-IRB approval.

Dissertation Advisement
Students must be registered for a minimum of three semester credits of course work, three semester credits of Dissertation Advisement, or for SED ED950 Continuing Study during the semester in which the hearing is scheduled.

Dissertation: Guidelines and Requirements
Students should be encouraged to choose committee members who are highly qualified to guide them with respect to their areas of inquiry, scholarship, and the research methodologies best suited to their problem area.  The committee members should represent the breadth of knowledge across the School of Education and across the University as well.  It may be appropriate to include highly qualified experts from outside Boston University.

Dissertation: Format and Processing
Candidates must follow the Mugar Memorial Library publication, A Guide for Writers of Theses and Dissertations, when preparing the dissertation.  The Mugar publication contains policy on physical requirements, fees, and microfilming.  Academic Clusters and First Readers are responsible for ensuring that each thesis and dissertation adheres to the prescribed format contained in the Mugar publication, which is available from the School of Education Records Office, Room 127.

The School of Education budget contains funds for the appointment of Graduate Lecturer and Assistantship positions.  Due to the limited funds available, all appointments are made through the Office of the Dean.  See the Graduate Assistantships posted on the SED Website for open positions.

Faculty Development

Constitution and Bi-Laws
The School of Education Constitution and Bi-Laws can be found under the Materials/Documents link on the Faculty Blackboard Site.

Promotion and Tenure
Details for the procedures and timeline for the promotion and tenure of SED faculty can be found under the Materials/Document link on the Faculty Blackboard Site.  These documents offer guidance from the SED Personnel Committee on the ways the School of Education proceed in helping our faculty to prepare for promotion and tenure. In combination with other documents on mid-tenure review, evaluating teaching, mentoring, and faculty expectations, this set of documents embraces current ideas on how this process should unfold from the first days of entry of junior faculty into through preparation for promotion and tenure in the ranks of senior faculty.

Search and Recruit
Documents outlining the expected steps of procedure for the recruitment of new faculty at the School of Education can be found under the Materials/Document link on the Faculty Blackboard Site. These document are designed to serve as a resource for SED to assist in conducting faculty searches that are fair, equitable and successful.  Our intent in developing this document is to organize into one document, information about BU policies and procedures that must be followed and practical recommendations, specific to SED, for searches.

The award of travel funds are prioritized to applicants in the following order:  Junior faculty members in tenure track positions presenting papers, those presenting papers at a professional conference regardless of track or rank, those serving as critics or discussants, those representing SED in an official capacity to their professional organizations, those attending a conference for personal professional development.

The required forms and framework of procedures for Travel Award Requests can be found under the Materials/Documents link on the Faculty Blackboard Site.

Emeritus Status
At Boston University, Emeritus is a status of honor and esteem that is associated with an invitation to continue collegial relationships after retirement. Faculty members (whether Tenured or Non‐Tenure‐Track) who have served on the faculty of Boston University for at least ten years are eligible to be considered for Emeritus status upon retirement. Retired faculty members with Emeritus status retain their title at the highest rank achieved, modified by the incorporation of the Emeritus designation. Emeritus status shall be based upon the recommendation of the faculty member’s department, Personnel Committee and dean.

An outline of the procedures for appointment to Emeritus Status can be found under the Materials/Documents link on the Faculty Blackboard Site.

Procedures for Non-Tenure Track
The School of Education has instituted a mid-tenure review to assist tenure-track junior faculty members in the course of their progress toward achieving tenure at Boston University. At the point of mid-tenure review, junior faculty members will have participated in a formal mentoring seminar over a period of two years, led by a senior faculty member with the cooperation of senior colleagues who offer seminars in the area in which they are particularly accomplished. The mid-tenure review builds on these efforts, formalizes the review process, and extends the responsibility for support and evaluation to senior members of the SED faculty.

A more detailed outline of this procedure can be found under the Materials/Documents link in the Faculty Blackboard Site.


Guidelines for Submitting a Grant Proposal and Accepting an Award
Associate Dean for Research, V. Scott Solberg, ssolberg@bu.edu, 617-358-
Grants Development Coordinator, Marianne Taylor, mstaylor@bu.edu, 617-353-3211, Room 356

University Guidelines on Research Review
Any proposed faculty/staff research conducted under the auspices of BU, whether or not the research involves human subjects, must submit a Charles River Campus Institutional Review Board Research Application to the Charles River Campus Institutional Review Board for review and approval.

Pre-Award Services
The SED Office of Research Support at Boston University supports faculty and administrators’ efforts to design research projects and helps to obtain the necessary funding to implement those projects. The Office of Research Support strives to insure a smooth project development and application process by assisting in the identification of potential collaborators and funding sources, as well as with the preparation of the proposal and budget.  The Office of Research Support will coordinate communication and resources between SED, the BU Office of Sponsored Programs, on- and off-campus collaborators, and external sponsors.  The BU Office of Sponsored Programs can be reached at their website.

Post-Award Services
The SED Office of Research Support at Boston University strives to provide excellent post-award services and support. Post-award activities include regular monitoring of project financial activities and compliance as established by Federal and State law, agency regulations, and BU policies and procedures.

This is activity that does not meet the regulatory definitions of both “research” and “human subject”.   This activity does not need IRB review.

This activity meets both definitions (research and human subject) but the regulations do not apply.  Please note that the investigator cannot determine whether their research is exempt but rather exempt status is determined by the IRB (hence IRB review is needed).  Also, please note that the regulations define the “floor” with respect to the protection of human subjects in research and that the IRB can ask for additional protections.  For exempt studies, IRB review is conducted by a single member from the Board.

Activities that are minimal risk and not exempt, are reviewed as “expedited”.  For expedited studies, the informed consent must meet all of the regulatory requirements.  The regulations also require that investigators seek renewal each year.

Both “Exempt” and “Expedited” apply to studies involving no more than “minimal risk”.  Minimal risk is defined as:
(i) Minimal risk means that the probability and magnitude of harm or discomfort anticipated in the research are not greater in and of themselves than those ordinarily encountered in daily life or during the performance of routine physical or psychological examinations or tests.

“Full Board”
Activities that pose more than minimal risk to subjects are reviewed by the full Board at regularly scheduled monthly meetings.  Like expedited studies, all of the regulatory requirements apply and each investigator must seek renewal each year.


Information Technology and 
Creating a Web Account
A Boston University email address is essential for access to the Faculty and Employee Links on the BU Web, as well as for communication with students, faculty, and staff colleagues, and for the submission of grades online. A Boston University ID card is required to set up an account.

Media Requests
Faculty can request media equipment (VCR player, DVD player, LCD projector), as well as media (VHS tapes, DVDs) from Media Services using their request form.  Contact the media office on its website.  Once on the site, go to classroom support services and then to classroom service request; a form will open to complete. The media office can also be contacted through email at mediagp@bu.edu, fax at 617-353-6154, or by phone at 617-353-3227.  They require no less than one-week notice for media resources. In a request include faculty name, course number, course name, number of students in the course, building, room, and the date equipment is required.  Requests for media can be made by phone, fax, or mail.

Instructional Materials Center
Open to the School of Education (SED) faculty, staff, students and alumni, the Instructional Materials Center (IMC) is dedicated to supporting teaching and learning with technology. The IMC works to inform and expand education and training by applying technology to personal productivity, instructional support, communication, and research. Housing computer labs, classrooms, and other specialized work areas, the IMC is the main computing facility and media center for (SED) at Boston University. The IMC makes available a variety of computing, multimedia, audiovisual, and human resources for creating, presenting, and evaluating instructional materials. The IMC is located on the 41/2 floor of SED.

IT Help
SED’s helpful and knowledgeable IT team can help with any computer and technology-related issues. For an urgent problem, please email SED-IT@bu.edu to create a help ticket . This is the fastest way to get help. IT Help’s areas of expertise also include networking, software, purchasing, databases, web support, and much more.

Instructors across campus are using Blackboard as a way of organizing course content online. The use of Blackboard 8 by faculty is strongly encouraged as students are very familiar with this online site. On Blackboard, faculty can manage all course materials online and provide students with instant access to course content. Instructors can post documents, make announcements, send email, and create online assessments; students can access course documents, send files to instructors, and access grades directly. In addition, Blackboard enables the BU community to support the University’s Green Initiative by posting course materials online instead of printing. Both students and instructors log onto Blackboard using their BU username and Kerberos password. Learn how to create and manage a Blackboard site on their website.

DSA Access
Please contact Brent Ellis with your requested permits. Data Security Administrator Access is provided to those faculty members who need access to advisee information, i.e. transcripts, grades. Those faculty members are assigned a secure ID fob used to access the Faculty/Staff link on the link site www.bu.edu/link . Not all faculty members will need a secure ID, please check with your department coordinator.

Pickering Educational Resources Library
The Pickering Library houses early childhood through Grade 12 instructional support materials in print and electronic formats, and a literature collection for children and young adults. The collection also includes education reference books, curriculum and instruction-oriented books and periodicals, elementary and secondary school textbooks, standardized tests, curriculum guides, faculty publications, and recent SED dissertations. The library has full access to the Boston University website, the World Wide Web, and maintains its own web page. 
An electronic classroom houses 25 computers with access to electronic resources and Microsoft applications, LCD/document projectors, and VCR/DVD equipment.  The electronic classroom can be reserved for class meetings, as well as library tutorials from the Head Librarian.
To book the eClassroom, fill out the online form.
To book a tutorial: Contact Dan Bendetti directly, benededa@bu.edu, 617-353-3735

Faculty may place materials on reserve for the use of students enrolled in their classes. Material on reserve is shelved in closed stacks behind the circulation desk and is available for loan periods of two hours, two hours/overnight, one day, three days, and seven days. Material may be placed on reserve by filling out a Reserve Request Form available at the Circulation desk (see below for a sample form) or submitting your request online. A minimum of 4-6 weeks should be allowed for orders of books not owned by the library. Please allow 2 weeks for the recall of a book checked out to another patron. Faculty can also check out their own reserve items for an extended period of time. In January of each year, the Reserve Coordinator sends to all SED faculty via campus mail a list of their current reserve items in order to keep their reserve material up-to-date.
Reserve Coordinator: 
Sean Giere (sgie@bu.edu) 
(617) 353-3734

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students at the School of Education benefit from the community feel of a small school along with the resources of a large university. Our students are in the field in both urban and suburban schools as early as their first year at SED.

Graduate Students

Talented graduate students from around the world prepare to become teachers, counselors, administrators, and more in as little as one year at the School of Education. Our students engage in diverse aspects of education both in the classroom and the field.