To obtain a bachelor’s degree, most students must have completed a minimum of 128 credits and 32 courses. As a guide for completing the four-year undergraduate program, students should keep in mind that sophomore status usually is attained by satisfactorily completing 32 credits of coursework; junior status, 64 credits; senior status, 96 credits. The number may vary depending on the College of enrollment.

The individual Schools and Colleges of the University have specific academic requirements and standards for determining satisfactory completion of a program of study (e.g., grades, concentrations, divisional studies).

To graduate, students must apply to their School or College by the deadline stipulated by the School or College.


Course examinations are given at the instructor’s discretion. Final examinations are given only during the scheduled examination period.

If the student fails a course, he or she cannot take a second examination until this course is retaken.

If a student is absent for good reason from a final exam and wants credit for the course, he or she must apply to the School or College for special examination privileges. The student must complete a special exam before the end of the semester immediately following the absence.

Grade Point Average

The University uses a system of letter grades and grade honor point equivalents for evaluating coursework, as shown in the chart below. Individual Schools and Colleges, however, may place restrictions on the use of certain grades, such as Pass/Fail. Grades can not be changed after a student has been made an official graduate.

Grade Honor Points Explanation
A 4.0 Excellent
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0 Good
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0 Satisfactory
C- 1.7
D 1.0 Low pass
F 0 Fail, no credit
P Not applicable Pass with credit
I Not applicable Incomplete; additional work required
J Not applicable Registration in same or continuing course necessary to complete requirements
AU Not applicable Audit; no credit
W Not applicable Withdrew
MG Not applicable Missing grade; grade not assigned

Grade point averages are computed by dividing the number of grade honor points earned by the number of credits attempted. The following grade symbols are not given grade honor points, and work recorded with any of these symbols is not used in calculating grade point averages: J, P, W, AU, and MG. I grades are not computed until additional required work is fulfilled and an appropriate letter grade assigned. The grades and credits of all repeated courses are calculated in the GPA. J grades are not computed until the continuing course is completed; at that time, the grade and honor points will apply to both the J-graded and continuing courses.


If for reasons acceptable to the instructor a student fails to take the final examination or to complete any other required work within a course, he or she receives the I grade. Within the time limit set by the individual School or College, the student must complete the course requirements. If the student does complete the course requirements, the I grade is replaced with the appropriate letter grade.


Current students may order transcripts online through the “Transcript Preview and Ordering” option on the Student Link; there is a $6 fee, payable by credit card, for each official transcript ordered online. In all other cases, requests for official transcripts must be made in writing, either by letter or by completing a Transcript Request form available at Office of the University Registrar. Please include the following information: full name, including any former names; signature; Boston University ID number or Social Security number; Schools attended and dates; degrees awarded; and complete address of transcript destinations. The transcript fee is $6 per copy, and payment must accompany the request. Processing time for transcript requests received by mail is three to five business days. The Registrar’s Office does not accept faxed transcript requests. Transcripts can be sent by DHL for an additional $11 per destination to locations within the continental United States. For other destinations, please contact the Transcript Department for the cost.

Unofficial transcripts can be obtained in person at the Registrar’s Office during regular business hours. There is no charge for unofficial transcripts. A valid photo ID is required to obtain unofficial and official transcripts if the request is done in person at the Registrar’s Office. Please note that the Registrar’s Office does not mail unofficial transcripts.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students at the School of Education benefit from the community feel of a small school along with the resources of a large university. Our students are in the field in both urban and suburban schools as early as their first year at SED.

Graduate Students

Talented graduate students from around the world prepare to become teachers, counselors, administrators, and more in as little as one year at the School of Education. Our students engage in diverse aspects of education both in the classroom and the field.