Policies & Procedures
For current SED policies and degree requirements, please see the SED Bulletin.
- Every student is assigned a faculty advisor. Students who do not know who their advisor is may contact the Office of Undergraduate Student Services, Room 243 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Office of Graduate Student Services, SED Room 124 (email@example.com).
- Petition to Change Academic Advisor: This form may be used to request a new advisor.
- Prior to registering for courses, students should meet with their faculty advisors for information on specific program requirements.
- Undergraduates must receive an advising code from their advisor in order to be able to register.
- Graduate students entering their first term at Boston University are ineligible to use WebReg to register for courses and must use a paper Registration Form, available at the SED Office of Student Records, Room 115. Undergraduate students will register for their first term during their Orientation Session and can contact Undergraduate Student Services at 617-353-3177 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Continuing students register via WebReg on the StudentLink.
- Certified Full-Time with Part-Time Enrollment Form (Graduate Students Only): This form is for students applying for full-time status while enrolled part-time in coursework. This form is available in the SED Student Records Office, Room 115.
- For more information, students may refer to The Office of the Registrar, the SED Bulletin and University Policy.
Add or Drop a Course
- Students may add or drop a course through WebReg on the StudentLink, or submit an Add/Drop Form to the Office of Student Records, SED Room 115. Students should consult with their advisors before adding or dropping a course.
- Students cannot add a course after the first two weeks of classes.
- Students can drop a course during the first five weeks of the term and are eligible for partial tuition refund. Students may refer the Office of the University Registrar website for more information.
- Add/Drop Form: This form is used to add or drop a course, to change a graded course to an audited course, and to register for a course requiring a signature from an instructor.
Withdrawal from Course
- A course dropped after the Registrar’s designated drop deadline, typically after the first five weeks of classes, will result in a W on the student’s transcript, and the student will be charged for the course.
- Students may refer to the Office of the University Registrar website for more information.
- Students are encouraged to review the school policy and transfer-credit process through the SED Bulletin and to consult BU Admissions.
- Undergraduate transfer students should contact Undergraduate Student Services for additional information (email@example.com or 617-353-3177). Graduate students should consult with their academic advisor or Graduate Student Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Matriculated students should receive pre-approval to transfer external credits before taking a course at another institution.
- Petition for Approval or Pre-Approval to Transfer External Credits
- Request to Transfer Credits within Boston University Form
Course Requirement Adjustments
- Course Requirements Adjustment Form: Students may submit this form to the SED Records Office (Room 115) to request the following types of adjustments:
- Course substitution: Petition to fulfill a course requirement with an alternative course.
- Course waiver: Petition to have a course requirement waived as a result of receiving comparable content through another course. However, credit requirements for the student’s degree program may still need to be fulfilled with another course.
- Course adjustment on Degree Advice: Petition to move course(s) to a different category within Degree Advice.
Leave of Absence and Reinstatement
- Students are encouraged to review the School of Education Policy and University Policy regarding Leave of Absence and Reinstatement.
- Undergraduate Students: Leave of absence and withdrawal for undergraduate students are managed by the University Service Center. Undergraduate students taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from the University should be in contact with the University Service Center and with SED Undergraduate Student Services.
- Graduate Students: Graduate students planning a leave of absence or withdrawal need to submit a Withdrawal from University and/or Leave of Absence Form to the SED Records Office, Room 115. Ordinarily, graduate students are allowed two semesters of leave. Leaves do not extend a student’s time to degree.
- International students must meet with an ISSO advisor before interrupting their studies.
- Withdrawal from University and/or Leave of Absence Form
- Graduate Student Extension of Leave of Absence Form
- Petition for Reinstatement
- For information on financial implications, please see Tuition Refund.
Adding or Changing a Program
- Undergraduates wishing to change programs should submit the Program Change Form, available at the SED Student Records Office, Room 115.
- Graduate Students who wish to apply to change programs should complete the Application to Change Graduate Program within SED, which is available at the SED Student Records Office, Room 115.
- Petition to Pursue Non-Licensure Track: Students in Bachelor’s and Master’s (Ed.M) programs wishing to pursue non-licensure may complete this form.
- Petition to Pursue Licensure Only Track: Students interested in pursuing licensure through SED to teach a subject area must complete this form.
Adding a Minor (Undergraduate Students Only)
- Students must complete an application for a minor in order to add a minor.
- Application for Minor: This form is for School of Education students only. Students in other schools and colleges at BU should refer to their home school for information on adding a minor or they may contact Undergraduate Student Services, 617-353-3177 or email@example.com.
Directed Study, Independent Study and/or Research Apprenticeship
- Students may complete a directed study, independent study or research apprenticeship. An application must be completed to enroll in one of these options.
- Application for Directed Study/Independent Study/Research Apprenticeship
CAGS and Doctoral Students
- Various forms are required as students progress through their CAGS or Doctoral degree program.
- Comprehensive Examination Application
- Doctoral Hearing Announcement for Proposals and Final Oral Exams
- Problem Hearing/Final Oral Examination Moderator’s Report
- CAGS and Doctoral Degree Requirement Completion Form
- Exit Survey for Doctoral Candidates: The School of Education requests that students graduating from a doctoral program complete or opt out of the Exit Survey for Doctoral Candidates.
- For courses dropped in the first five weeks of classes, a partial tuition refund is available.
- For the published tuition refund schedule, students may consult the Office of the University Registrar.
- Undergraduate Students:
- Tuition refund for undergraduates is processed through the University Service Center.
- Graduate students:
- For graduate students who withdraw or take a leave of absence from the university, there may be a partial refund of tuition fees. Students must complete the Tuition Refund Request Petition and submit it to the Office of Graduate Student Services, Room 124.
- Tuition Refund Request Petition: Students may submit the Tuition Refund Request Form to petition that a portion of their tuition charges be removed in the case of an unexpected and serious circumstance that requires withdrawal from course(s).
- For graduation requirements, students may refer to the SED Bulletin.
- For information on the SED Graduation Ceremony, students may consult the SED Graduation Website.
- Applying to Graduate
- Undergraduate Students must submit the following by April 1st of their Junior Year:
- Graduate Students must submit the following at least 3 months before their anticipated graduation date:
- Graduation Application with Degree Advice (or Unofficial Transcripts for Doctoral students)
- All students must apply for graduation according to the following deadlines:
- February 1st for May graduation
- June 1st for September graduation
- November 1st for January graduation
- Petition to Walk in May: Students (excluding EdD students) graduating in September may petition to walk in the preceding May graduation ceremony by submitting this form to the SED Student Records Office, Room 115. Students must be in good standing and on track to complete all coursework the summer following graduation.
- Petition to Change Graduation Date (Undergraduate Form; Graduate Form): Students may petition to change their graduation date.
- Students should work with the Office of Disability Services (19 Deerfield Street) to arrange for accommodations.