International students should begin the student visa process as soon as possible. In order for BU to issue you an I-20 form, you need to submit:
- Completed International Student Data Form: This form is available online at http://www.bu.edu/isso/getting-started/documents-procedures/
- Financial Documentation: As an international student, you are required to submit an official bank statement or credit reference stating that you or your sponsor has funds available to meet the minimum estimated expense of at least one year at Boston University. To determine the exact amount of funds you must have available, please review the Estimate of Expenses for graduate students. Please note that the estimate increases if you plan to bring dependents to the U.S. with you. If you have been awarded a scholarship by the School of Education, you may subtract this amount from the total amount required on your financial statement.
- Letter of Sponsorship (if applicable): The letter must state the sponsor’s relation to you and indicate that the sponsor is willing and able to support you financially for your academic fees and living expenses throughout the duration of your studies at Boston University. For your convenience, Boston University has prepared a Sponsorship Certification Form for this purpose.
- Copies of Passport documentation: You must submit a copy of the relevant page(s) of your passport and the passports of any dependents you plan to bring to the U.S. This includes your passport data page and a copy of the page where your passport expiration date is listed.
- Copies of all previous U.S. immigration documents, including I-20 information and visas.
All visa documents can be uploaded to the applicant gateway. For any questions regarding your visa documents, please email Graduate Student Services, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to contact the Graduate Student Services Office with any questions about the required documentation or the visa process.
In addition to attending SED Graduate Orientation, incoming international students will be required to attend an additional International Student Orientation after classes begin.