International students should begin the student visa process as soon as possible. In order for BU to issue you an I-20 form, you need to submit:
- Completed International Student Data Form: This form is available online at http://www.bu.edu/isso/forms/ISDF-Fillable.pdf.
- Financial Documentation: As an international student, you are required to submit an official bank statement or credit reference stating that you or your sponsor has funds available to meet the minimum estimated expense of at least one year at Boston University. To determine the exact amount of funds you must have available, please review the Estimate of Expenses for graduate students. Please note that the estimate increases if you plan to bring dependents to the US with you. If you have been awarded a scholarship by the School of Education, you may subtract this amount from the total amount required on your financial statement.
- Letter of Sponsorship (if applicable): The letter must state the sponsor’s relation to you and indicate that the sponsor is willing and able to support you financially for your academic fees and living expenses throughout the duration of your studies at Boston University. For your convenience, Boston University has prepared a Sponsorship Certification Form for this purpose.
- Copies of Passport documentation: You must submit a copy of the relevant page(s) of your passport and the passports of any dependents you plan to bring to the US. This includes your passport data page and a copy of the page where your passport expiration date is listed.
- Copies of all previous US immigration documents.
Please send your visa documents to:
Boston University School of Education
2 Silber Way, Room 124
Boston, MA 02215
Feel free to contact the Graduate Admissions Office with any questions about the required documentation or the visa process.
In addition, for more information, please review the Boston University’s International Students and Scholars Office website. The ISSO website covers all aspects of moving to the United States.
In addition to attending SED Graduate Orientation, incoming international students will be required to attend an additional International Student Orientation after classes begin. More information about this event will be posted on this webpage soon.