Crisis Support Resources
We recognize that faculty, staff and students are all affected by the events on Monday and the continuing events that are unfolding in front of us today. We also know that there are differences in the ways individuals are reacting and will continue to react in the future and some reactions may not be as visible as others. This means we need to be alert to signs of distress, both obvious and not. BU has numerous resources available for students, faculty, and staff, that those in need should be directed to. If there are other ways that you can think of to support our SED community, please let us know.
Below please find information on campus support meetings, campus resources, and a list of other resources.
Campus Support Meetings
Group counseling sessions have been arranged to serve students who have been affected by the tragedy at the Boston Marathon. Any student may attend the groups, whether they were at the Marathon or are simply distressed by this awful event. Attendance at the groups is free of charge. The groups are on the following dates, times and locations. Registration is recommended, but not required.
- Friday, April 19, 4 pm: The SARP Center (Sexual Assault, Response & Prevention), 930 Commonwealth Avenue. Call 617-353-3569 to register.
- Monday, April 22, 4 pm: The SARP Center, 930 Commonwealth Ave. Call 617-353-3569 to register.
- Tuesday, April 23, 3 pm: The Danielsen Institute, 185 Bay State Road. Call 617-353-3047 to register.
- Wednesday, April 24, 4 pm: CARD, 648 Beacon Street, 6th floor. Call 617-353-9610 to register.
- Thursday, April 25, 12 noon: The SARP Center, 930 Commonwealth Ave. Call 617-353-7277 to register.
- Friday, April 26, 1 pm: CARD, 648 Beacon Street, 6th floor. Call 617-353-9610 to register.
Additional groups will be held the week of April 29, details to follow.
If you are interested in working to arrange another support group, please contact Jenna Vaillancourt at SARP or Mitzi Kane at Behavioral Medicine.
Though group counseling is a preferred method for assisting survivors of trauma, the BU community can also call to inquire about individual support at the following numbers.
- Mitzi Kane at Student Health Services, 617-353-3569 (press “2″ to reach Mitzi)
- Bonnie Brown at the Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders, 617-353-9610
- The Danielsen Institute, 617-353-3047
- SARP, 617-353-7227
FUNDED GRADUATE STUDENTS, FACULTY, and STAFF
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Office, 617-353-5381
- A Guide to Wellness
- In the Eye of the Storm: Students’ Perceptions of Helpful Faculty Actions Following a Collective Tragedy
- For faculty: How to talk about this with your classes (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Suggestions of How to Help (Huffington Post)
- Helping children cope with terrorism (NASP)
- How To Talk With Children About Boston Marathon Bombs (wbur)
- Coping with traumatic event (in Chinese)
- Managing traumatic stress: Tips for recovering from disaster and other traumatic events (APA)
- Taking Care of Your Emotional Health After a Disaster (American Red Cross)
- Recovering Emotionally (American Red Cross)
- Helping Children Cope with Disaster (American Red Cross)
- Building Your Resilience (APA)
- Disaster Distress Helpline (Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration)