International Students

Many International students seek Financial Assistance here at Boston University.  All full-time international Masters and CAGS students are eligible for SED General Scholarships.

Only those who are Eligible Noncitizens are able to receive Federal Financial Assistance.  To determine if you are an Eligible Noncitizen, please visit the Department of Education’s Student Aid website for International Students.

On-Campus Employment

International students may be eligible for on-campus employment, such as Graduate Assistantships and part-time employment. Student eligibility is based on their visa status and the approval of the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).  It is not common for an international student to be awarded a Graduate Assistantship for the first semester of study. International students must provide financial documentation to the Graduate Admissions Office indicating that they have sufficient funds to attend the University in order to meet visa requirements.

Prior to seeking any employment while attending Boston University, please consult the International Student Services Office (ISSO) and the Student Employment Office website.

External Resources for International Student Aid

If you are not an Eligible Noncitizen, you may refer to the following resources for International Student Aid.

Carter Center Internship Program

The Carter Center Internship Program is for students committed to educational and peace initiatives worldwide. Students who have completed at least two years of a Masters program, or who have recently graduated from a Masters program are eligible. Internships are part-time and may be a nice compliment to classroom experience.

Consulate or Embassy

There may be specific funds available for students to study internationally through the Embassy or Consulate of students’ home country. We encourage students to contact this office for any available funding opportunities.

Education USA

Education USA is a great resource that provides a holistic 5-step guide for international students interested in studying in the U.S. Students can research everything from applying to schools, to financing education, and becoming familiar with common terms and definitions. This site also offers podcasts for additional support.


Created by Mark Kantrowitz, a noted financial aid author, eduPASS provides comprehensive information for international students. This includes financing studies, English Proficiency requirements and tests, visa and passport information, and travel or cultural adjustment advice. As some of this information may be school-specific, we do encourage students to verify required materials with the School of Education Graduate Admissions Office and ISSO.

Josephine De Karman Fellowship Trust

The Josephine De Karman Fellowship Trust was established in 1954 to assist students of any discipline in their studies. Students from any country are eligible, but must be enrolled in an accredited university within the U.S. at the time of application. Approximately eight fellowships (in the amount of $22,000 for graduate students), will be awarded for the regular academic year. Studies must be carried out only in the United States and all funds must be expended only within this country. The award is for one year, and may not be postponed or renewed.

Korean-American Scholarship

The Korean-American Scholarship was created for students in 1969 by the Korean American Scholarship Foundation. Students with Korean heritage, regardless of citizenship, are eligible to apply. These scholarships offer varying awards, made available through investments, donors, and annual fundraising activities. Recipients are considered based on financial need, scholastic achievement, recommendations, essays, and/or community service.

Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF)

The MMMF offers grants of approximately $12,000 to female graduate students studying in the U.S. or Canada. Eligible applicants are women over 25 from developing countries who are enrolled in an accredited university in the U.S. or Canada, and who reside in the U.S. at the time of application. Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to improving the lives of women and children in developing countries, as well as financial need and satisfactory academic performance. The MMMF also typically invites the recipients to Washington DC to participate in a three day Awards Program organized in their honor.

US Institute of Peace: Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation Program

The Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation Program offers grants to doctoral students from any country who are enrolled in an accredited university within the U.S. Eligible doctoral candidates are students who are researching and writing dissertations based on conflict management and peacebuilding. Proposals from all disciplines are welcome. Successful candidates will have completed all coursework and examinations toward their doctoral degrees by the time their fellowship begins. Award amounts are approximately $20,000 for ten months and may not be deferred or combined with any other major award or fellowship.

U.S. Labor Department

The U.S. Labor Department offers a free online scholarship search for students. Browse more than 7,000 scholarships, fellowships, loans, and other financial aid opportunities. Students can search by location, affiliation restrictions, residence preferences, and study level.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students at the School of Education benefit from the community feel of a small school along with the resources of a large university. Our students are in the field in both urban and suburban schools as early as their first year at SED.

Graduate Students

Talented graduate students from around the world prepare to become teachers, counselors, administrators, and more in as little as one year at the School of Education. Our students engage in diverse aspects of education both in the classroom and the field.