Financial Assistance

You should read the materials carefully. Please begin by thoroughly reviewing the information in the Financial Assistance section of this site. It is important  to be well informed of all the options so that you don’t miss out on opportunities to help fund your studies.

The only form of assistance that is part of the admission process is scholarship and fellowship funding. You will receive notification about  merit scholarship and fellowship awards in your admission packet.

You will be notified about all other scholarships at a later date.

All graduate students who meet the federal requirements to receive federal financial aid may receive the aid up to the cost of attendance. However, because we discourage students from requesting the maximum amount in federal loans just because they can, we work closely with students to create personalized aid packages.

Admitted students should review the information on the Loans, Grants, & Work Study section of our website. Please also feel free to contact the Graduate Student Services and a member of the Financial Aid team will be happy to help you put together your personalized aid package.

If you are enrolled in a degree program and registered for 6 credits or more during the summer term, you may be eligible for a Summer Direct Stafford Loan.  It is necessary to submit the loan request form, which is available online near the end of the Spring semester.  To be considered for Federal Financial Aid, you must submit a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year and complete your summer registration before submitting the request form.  If additional funds are necessary, the summer Graduate PLUS loan is also an option

The University is committed to teachers—one of the primary reasons for our discounted evening rate is because many teachers who are working during the day are unable to take classes except for the evening. Field Associate Scholarships are available to teachers who have supervised SED students as their student teachers.


There are various scholarships for incoming graduate students.  There is no additional application needed for the Merit Scholarships.  These awards are made at the time of application review by the academic programs.  For the other scholarships, an additional essay is required and is submitted along with your application to admissions.

No, all scholarships and doctoral fellowships are applied to a student’s account evenly across the Fall & Spring semesters unless otherwise noted on your award letter in your admissions packet.

Yes, if you are in a multi-year program you will receive a scholarship of equal value in your second year as long as you are enrolled only in required coursework as a full-time student and are making satisfactory progress towards your degree.


Make sure you complete the FAFSA, Entrance Counseling, & sign the Master Promissory Note.  Then download the appropriate loan request forms from the Loans section of our website section of our website.  Complete these loan request forms and submit them to the SED Financial Assistance Office.

Loans usually disburse to students’ accounts two weeks prior to the start of the semester, if students have successfully submitted a loan request form, completed loan counseling, and signed the Master Promissory Note in ample time for processing.  It will generally take 7-10 days to fully process a loan.

Loans refunds are available on or after the first day of the semester.  To request a refund go to the student link > Money Matters > Student Account Inquiry and on the top of the screen is the link for Request a Refund.  Click on the link and follow the instructions.  The refund will be direct deposited to your bank account.

We realize that financial situations can change for the better, and we are happy to hear this.  You are able to adjust any of your loans (Perkins, Stafford, PLUS) as long as your request is processed during the award period of the loan.  It will be your responsibility to make sure that there is a credit on your student account.

If you received the loan during the academic year, you will need to complete the Loan Adjustment Form to reduce or cancel your loan as long as this is done before the end of the academic year.  If you request an adjustment after the disbursement of the fall semester has been received, Boston University reserves the right to make the entire requested adjustment to the Spring semester disbursement

A student who has prior educational loans with in-school deferment provisions can defer payments as long as the student is seeking a degree and enrolled in at least 6 credits.  Boston University has contracted with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide: Proof of Enrollment, Enrollment History, and Loan Deferment Information.  You will need to log-in to the Student Link > Money Matters > Loan Deferment Notifications and complete the necessary steps.  

Some loan servicers do not accept documentation from the National Clearninghouse (Navient, and Sallie Mae for example) so you may need to download an application for in-school deferment from the loan servicer.  This form will need to be signed and completed by the Boston University Registrar Office at 881 Commonwealth Avenue.

International Students

International students have to produce documentation showing that they have financial support from their family or from a sponsor in order for the University to issue an I-20.  If we offer a scholarship, students can include the aid we’re providing as part of their financial aid statement, but they still have to show that they have sufficient remaining funds. There are loans that are offered through U.S. sources to international students who have a U.S. cosigner or a U.S. sponsor, but in most cases loan options for international students are quite limited.

Our assistantships are also a source of support and an option for both international and domestic students. Depending on their various needs at any given time, departmental offices and professors hire graduate assistants. Teaching assistant positions may provide some tuition benefits as well as a stipend. It is unusual, however, for international students to receive graduate assistantship offers before arrival in the United States.

International students may apply for SED general scholarships as well as any private funding that does not require US citizenship. Students are encouraged to review and apply for those Graduate Assistantships that they are qualified for in order to receive additional financial support during the academic year.