Master of Arts in Teaching in English Education
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program for English Education is designed to assist students who wish to teach English/language arts in middle and high schools in earning a master’s degree and an initial teaching license. The MAT program is designed for individuals with a background in English literature or a related field.
Using a year-long, cohort-based model, we prepare teachers to work in a variety of school contexts, through coursework in literature, teaching methods, and supporting students with varying needs, as well as field experiences every semester. Our program is unique in featuring multiple teaching methods courses designed specifically for English teachers, including coursework in English lesson design, supporting struggling readers, and teaching adolescent writers.
- Introduces research-based teaching practices through modeling, discussion, simulation, and video study.
- Can be completed full-time in a calendar year or part-time for a longer duration.
- Features ample opportunities for teaching across the year at field experiences in urban, suburban, public, charter, pilot, and exam schools, as well as at local nonprofit 826 Boston.
- Provides opportunities for teaching licensure at the middle and/or high school level, and with additional study, licensure to teach English language learners.
- Immerses students in both a small cohort of English teachers and a larger cohort of secondary educators.
- Offers personalized academic and career advising with core English education faculty.
Students who complete Boston University’s state-approved teacher program are eligible for licensure in Massachusetts and may be eligible for licensure in 44 other states through a reciprocal agreement.
Graduates of the MAT program in English Education have gone on to teach in classrooms in private, charter, and public high schools in urban, suburban, and rural areas of Massachusetts, other states in the U.S., and other countries.
- This program is for those seeking licensure. If you do not wish to pursue initial teaching licensure or already have a license, then the EdM in English Education is right for you.
- In the U.S., English Education is a program for those interested primarily in teaching English literature and writing to adolescent students. If you are interested in teaching the English language, then the TESOL or ESL programs might be a better fit for you.
For program requirements and additional details, please visit the BU Bulletin.