Master of Education in Elementary Education
Boston University’s Master of Education program (EdM) in Elementary Education is designed for candidates with a liberal or professional undergraduate degree who are now seeking licensure as an elementary teacher. This EdM program at Boston University prepares students for a teaching career based on the belief that children should be engaged in authentic, purposeful activities and joyful learning. We have a strong tradition of preparing exemplary teachers who care deeply about the education of children and are dedicated to narrowing the opportunity gap to ensure that children from all walks of life reach their true potential.
Our faculty members possess not only demonstrated knowledge of their content, integral to the elementary curriculum, but also a passion for the ideas embodied in their discipline. We teach students to bring a high level of pedagogical knowledge to their teaching, translating theory and research into effective practice, and we place significant emphasis on the practice of critical reflection to enhance teaching practices. Our pedagogical courses and classroom experiences, urban and suburban, are designed to induct teachers into the current research and best practices of each subject area in the elementary curriculum.
We offer two options for students enrolled in our program: EdM in Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) with Initial Licensure, and EdM in Elementary Education with Initial Licensure in Elementary Education and in Special Education. Those students who choose to pursue the dual licensure in Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) and Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities (PreK-8) are prepared to educate students with a wide range of abilities, including students with moderate disabilities.
- Is led by an expert faculty.
- Offers two options: EdM in Elementary Education with Initial Licensure and EdM in Elementary Education with Initial Licensures in both Elementary Education and Special Education.
- Uses a multidisciplinary approach to create a curriculum that equally emphasizes theory and practice.
- Exposes students to multiple authentic field experiences.
For program requirements and additional details, please visit these BU Bulletin pages:
- EdM in Elementary Education with Initial License in Elementary Education (Grades 1–6)
- EdM in Elementary Education with Initial Licensure in Elementary Education (Grades 1–6) and Special Education (Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities, Pre-K–8)