Early Childhood Education
The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) program in Early Childhood Education is designed for candidates who are already licensed to teach PreK-2nd grade and who hold a master’s degree or the equivalent. This program is suited for educators who are seeking to develop their knowledge in a particular area within the field of early childhood education. Students meet with advisors to construct a plan of coursework that addresses the diverse goals of the individual. Topics include:
- Theories and milestones of early childhood social, emotional, physical, cognitive, and language development.
- The role of play in early childhood development.
- The design of educational environments, curriculum, and learning materials.
- Developmentally appropriate methodology related to mathematics, science, reading, and social studies.
- The application and integration of knowledge and skills through fieldwork.
- Varies in duration for students who are are full-time or part-time.
- Does not lead to licensure.
- Requires a master’s degree or an international equivalent.
For program requirements and additional details, please visit the BU Bulletin.