Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Early Childhood Education
The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) program in Early Childhood Education is designed for candidates who are already licensed to teach PreK-2nd grade and who hold a master’s degree or the equivalent. This program is suited for educators who are seeking to develop their knowledge in a particular area within the field of early childhood education. Students meet with advisors to construct a plan of coursework that addresses the diverse goals of the individual. Topics include:
- Theories and milestones of early childhood social, emotional, physical, cognitive, and language development.
- The role of play in early childhood development.
- The design of educational environments, curriculum, and learning materials.
- Developmentally appropriate methodology related to mathematics, science, reading, and social studies.
- The application and integration of knowledge and skills through fieldwork.
- Varies in duration for students who are are full-time or part-time.
- Does not lead to licensure.
- Requires a master’s degree or an international equivalent.
For program requirements and additional details, please visit the BU Bulletin.