- Ed.D. Boston University: Literacy, Language, and Cultural Studies
- M.Ed. Boston University: Literacy and Language
- B.A. Albion College: Sociology and Spanish
Evelyn Ford-Connors is a Lecturer in Language and Literacy at Boston University’s School of Education. She is also the Associate Director of the Donald D. Durrell Reading and Writing Clinic where she works closely with reading teachers to address the learning needs of struggling readers and writers in grades 1 through 12.
Evelyn’s primary research interests focus on the instructional needs of struggling readers and writers. She is currently investigating teacher talk during reading instruction and recently completed a classroom-based study examining middle school teachers’ talk during their vocabulary instruction. Evelyn’s work includes teacher coaching and collaboration to help refine instruction and promote students’ literacy learning.
Watch Evelyn describe the Durrell Reading and Writing Clinic program here.
- SED LS 738, Clinical Assessment Practicum
- SED LS 734, Pre-practicum Teacher of Reading
- SED LS 690, Contexts for Literacy: Spoken and Written Discourse in the Classroom
- SED LR 551, Reading Development, Assessment, and Instruction in the Elementary School
- SED LR 503, Literacy Assessment
- SED EM 523, A Comprehensive Look at Literature for Children, K-8
- SED ED 201, Tutoring Struggling Readers and Writer: Understanding and Supporting Reading and Writing Development
- Ford-Connors, E. (2011). Examining middle-school teachers’ talk during vocabulary instruction. Yearbook of the Literacy Research Association, 60, 229-244.
- Michener, C.J. & Ford-Connors, E. (in press). Academic discussion: Effective support for literacy, content, and academic achievement. In J. Ippolito, J. Lawrence & C. Zaller (Eds.), What middle and secondary teachers need to know about adolescent literacy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Publishing Group.
- Examining Teachers’ Talk During Vocabulary Instruction. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Literacy Research Association, San Diego, December 2012.
- Teachers’ Talk During Middle School Students’ Vocabulary Instruction. Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Education Research Association, New Orleans, April 2011.
- How Middle School Teachers Teach Vocabulary. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Literacy Research Association, Dallas, December 2010.
- Preparing Struggling Readers for the Demands of the Common Core Standards. Co-Presenter, Workshop, International Reading Association Annual Conference, May 2012.
- Effective Intervention for Struggling Readers: 3 Essential Elements. Co-Presenter, Workshop, International Reading Association Annual Conference, May 2011.
- Coaching Effective Talk in Vocabulary and Comprehension Strategy Instruction. Co-Presenter, Symposium, International Reading Association Annual Conference, April 2010.