Phone: 617-353-4052 or 617-638-5629 (CityLab)
- Ed.D. Boston University
- MAT Boston University
- M.Div. St. John’s Seminary
- B.S. University of Vermont
Dr. DeRosa has worked in the field of science education for twenty years as a classroom teacher; teacher educator; and director of CityLab, a biotechnology-learning laboratory for teachers and students at the Boston University School of Medicine. He is a member of the Department of Curriculum and Teaching where he teaches courses in elementary science education. His research interests focus on the development of effective methods to teach scientific thinking. In addition to conducting workshops on biotechnology education and inquiry-based science teaching for in-service teachers, Dr. DeRosa has co-authored several curriculum supplements in biotechnology and has consulted in the development of biotechnology programs throughout the United States and Europe.
- SED CH 300 Elementary Science Education
- MED AN 801 Teaching Methods in the Biomedical Sciences
- CAS PY 909 Teaching Methods for GK12 Fellows
- Abruscato, J. and DeRosa, D.A. DeRosa, D.A. (2009). Teaching Children Science: A Discovery Approach 7th ed. (2010). Allyn and Bacon : Boston
- Abruscato, J. and DeRosa, D.A. DeRosa, D.A. (2009). Teaching Children Science: Discovery Methods for Elementary and Middle Grades 3rd ed. Allyn and Bacon : Boston
- DeRosa, D.A. (Fall 2003) CityLab: Strategies for Science Education. Massachusetts Association of Biology Teachers News
- Franzblau, F., DeRosa, D.A. and Phillips, C. (January 2001). Science on Wheels. The Science Teacher 76:1 January 2001
- DeRosa, D.A. and Phillips C. (April 1999). BU’s Biosciences Education Program for Boston-area Students. Academic Medicine 74:4/April 1999
- DeRosa, D.A. and Wolfe, B.L. (February 1999). Mystery of the Crooked Cell: an investigation and laboratory activity about sickle cell anemia. The American Biology Teacher. 61:2
- Krauss, R.D., DeRosa, D.A., Phillips C. (March 1997). CityLab: Boston University’s Answer to Scientific Literacy. The BioTimes. 3:24
- DeRosa, D.A. and Krauss, R.D (October 1997). Scientist/Educator Partnerships Provide Rich Learning Opportunities. The Scientist. 11:9.
- CityLab: A systems approach to biology – phase I/II (09/01/04-08/31/09).
- CityLab Experiences Youth with Disabilities (11/01/03 – 10/31/05).
- Training Programs for Interdisciplinary Systems Research (09/17/04-07/31/09).
- GK-12 Project STAMP — Science Technology and Mathematics Partnerships (05/19/03 – 05/31/06).
- Practical Strategies for Teaching Interdisciplinary Scientific Thinking (PENDING 09/01/05-08/31/08).
Selected Conferences/Institutes/Events Organized
- Mobile Lab Programs: Best Practices and Networking Conference
- MobileLab Coalition Conference
Selected Professional Memberships
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
Selected Professional Service
- Lead Curriculum Developer and workshop presenter for the MassBioED BioTeach project. BioTeach has the following goals: Outfit school science labs with lab equipment and supplies to teach biotechnology. Provide professional development for biology teachers in biotech science. Help teachers to access and use engaging biotech curricula. Sustainability plans for replenishing supplies and biennial PD. Raise $9M over by 2010 for this innovative science education initiative