- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BEE Cornell University
Bruce Fraser is Professor of Linguistics and Education at Boston University. After graduating from MIT, he directed the Language Research Foundation for four year and then joined the School of Education faculty in 1971. His research interests lie in semantics, pragmatics, discourse analysis, and conflict resolution. Recently, his work has focused on the area of discourse markers (e.g., but, so, then, furthermore, and), connectors of discourse which typically signal a relationship between two adjacent segments. In a series of papers beginning in 1990, he has set forth a theory of discourse markers, which defines this functional class and distinguishes them from other particles and similar lexical formatives. He is currently working on a series of paper dealing with each Contrastive Discourse Marker (e.g., but, however, on the other hand, instead, etc.) In addition, he is currently conducting research which examines the extent to which the major discourse markers in different languages are used with the same functions and in the same pragmatic domains. His research in conflict resolution includes examining pragmatic tactics used in mediation and the role of a neutral as a lie detector. Professor Fraser is involved not only in serving as a mediator for labor, community, and school disputes, but also conducts training programs in the US and overseas to assist groups to become better prepared to resolve their own disputes.
- SED RS600 Perspectives on Inquiry
- SED RS652 Introduction to Qualitative Research
- SED RS752 Seminar in Qualitative Research
- SED AP751 Conflict Resolution in Education
- SED LS726 Discourse Analysis
- The path to leadership among community health center medical directors: implications for medical training (with J. Markuns & J. Orlander). Journal of Family Medicine, 2010.
- The Sequencing of Contrastive Discourse Marker in English. In the Baltic Journal of the English Language, Literature and Culture, Riga, Latvia. 2010.
- Pragmatic Competence: The Case of Hedging. In New Approaches to Hedging. Edited by G. Kaltenboeck et al. Emerald Publishing. 2010
- The Discourse Marker on the contrary. In Jacob Mey, A Festschrift, edited by B. Fraser & K Turner. Emerald Press. 2009.
- Language in Life, and A Life in Language. Jacob Mey – A Festschrift. Edited by B. Fraser & K. Turner. Emerald Press, 2009.
- Hedging in Political Discourse: The 2007 Bush Press Conference. In Papers from the 2nd International Conference on Political Discourse, Warsaw, Poland, edited by Piotr Cap, 2009