- Ed.D. Candidate in Developmental Studies
- M.Ed., Harvard Graduate School of Education, Curriculum & Teaching
- B.A., Emerson College, Communications, Politics, & Law and Spanish
Amy Cournoyer is a Lecturer in teacher education programs in teaching English as a second language (ESL), modern foreign language education, and bilingual education. Her research focuses on issues in second language teacher education and intercultural education. Her current areas of research include a) case-based pedagogy as a second language teacher education tool b) promoting culture in second and foreign language classrooms and c) approaches to teaching adult ESL literacy.
Prior to Boston University, Amy was a Preceptor at the Harvard University Institute for English Language programs and a secondary Spanish and English as a Second Language classroom teacher in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. She has served as a Language Education Consultant to the Samsung Global Managers Program and as an invited lecturer for the US Department of State Teacher of Critical Languages Program. She has conducted field research on Gypsy life and culture in Sacromonte, Spain and on cultural pluralism in a BriBri Indian and Jamaican descendent community in Talamanca, Costa Rica.
- Methods of Teaching Modern Foreign Language
- Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language
- Methods of Teaching Bilingual Education
- Intercultural Education
- Issues in Bilingualism
- Student Teaching Seminar
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2010). Case-based pedagogy using student-generated vignettes: A pre service intercultural awareness tool. Proceedings from the Second International Conference on the Development and Assessment of Intercultural Competence, Tucson, Arizona.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2008) Education, politics, and the environment Volume II. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2008). English for global business Volume I. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Cournoyer, A.B. & Morris, S. (2007). Education, politics, and the environment Volume I. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2010) Teaching Training Seminar on Teaching Speaking and Listening to English Language Learners in K-12 Educational Settings. Invited lecture for the Boston Public Schools Pathways Program, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Cournoyer, A. B. (2009, November). Differentiated Instruction for Teachers of Critical Languages. Invited lecture for the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Teachers of Critical Languages Program Colloquium, Boston, Massachusetts.