- Ed.D., in Developmental Studies, Boston University
- M.Ed., Harvard Graduate School of Education, Curriculum & Teaching
- B.A., Emerson College, Communications, Politics, & Law and Spanish
Dr. Amy Cournoyer Gooden received her Master’s degree in Education from Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education with a specialization in second and foreign language teaching and learning. She holds a Doctorate in Education from Boston University with a concentration in language teacher training and intercultural education. Dr. Cournoyer Gooden serves as Lecturer in Language and Literacy programs in the School of Education at Boston University–and has worked at numerous other universities in Massachusetts– where she teaches courses designed to prepare aspiring K-12 educators to effectively teach in linguistically and culturally diverse educational settings. She has authored grants and developed programs and community partnerships that serve the needs of immigrant and refugee students. Moreover, she has developed and directed overseas teacher training certificate programs in China and Spain.
For more than nine years, she was a member of the teaching faculty at Harvard University’s Institute for English Language Programs and was awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award during each year of service. She has taught a variety of courses to international scholars and students at Harvard and Brown University including: English for the MBA, Communication in Business, Academic Writing, Speaking in Professional Contexts, and Language and Acculturation Seminars. Additionally, she has served as a language and culture consultant for executives and managers of multinational corporations such as Samsung’s Global Manager’s Program. Dr. Cournoyer Gooden has taught English as a second language and Spanish in public and private schools in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. With proficiency in various languages, she has conducted research and studied abroad in countries like Costa Rica, Spain, and Haiti. She has presented and published her research on language teaching and intercultural education nationally and internationally. Her research interests include sociocultural approaches to language teacher education, intercultural education, university/community partnerships for K-12 English learners, English for academic purposes, and adult ESL literacy.
- Methods of Teaching Modern Foreign Language
- Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language
- Methods of Teaching Bilingual Education
- Intercultural Education
- Issues in Bilingualism
- Student Teaching Seminar
- Gooden, Amy Cournoyer, and Kelly Chase. (2015) Habits of Mind: Forging University-School Partnerships to Bring a High-Quality Enrichment Curriculum to English Learners, Voices in Urban Education, 41:26–35.
- Gooden, Amy Cournoyer (2014) Building Language Educators: The Implications of Case-based Pedagogy Using Practicum-Based Student-Teacher-Generated Cases for Pre-Service Language Teacher Education, Dissertation: Boston University School of Education.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2010). Case-based pedagogy using student-generated vignettes: A pre service intercultural awareness tool. Proceedings from the Second International Conference on the Development and Assessment of Intercultural Competence, Tucson, Arizona.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2008) Education, politics, and the environment Volume II. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2008). English for global business Volume I. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Cournoyer, A.B. & Morris, S. (2007). Education, politics, and the environment Volume I. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Cournoyer, A.B., Chase, K., and DeRuosi, D. (2013) Intercultural learning across the board: A case study of a university-public school district partnership. Paper presented with Superintendent of Malden and Assistant Superintendent of Malden at the XII Worldwide Forum on Education and Culture, Rome, Italy.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2012) Toward a sociocultural turn: case study method in second language teacher education programs. Paper presented at Hawaii University International Conference on Education.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2012) An adult L2 academic writing model. Paper presented at MATSDA/Principles and Procedures of Materials Development: Interaction Between Applied Linguistics and Materials Development, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2012) English for educators. Brown University/Shenzhen Teacher/Headmaster Training Institute, Providence, RI: Brown University.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2011) Methods of teaching English as a foreign language: current research and trends in the field. Invited lecture for the Startalk National Turkish Teacher Training Program.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2010). Case-based pedagogy using student-generated vignettes: A pre-service intercultural awareness tool. Proceedings from the Second International Conference on the Development and Assessment of Intercultural Competence, Tucson, Arizona.
- Cournoyer, A.B. & Orane, Z.S. (2010) Shifted thinking , shifted ways of being: a cross case analysis of two capacity building initiatives. Proceedings from the Global Risk Forum: International Disaster Relief Conference, Davos, Switzerland.
- Cournoyer, A.B. (2010) Teaching Training Seminar on Teaching Speaking and Listening to English Language Learners in K-12 Educational Settings. Invited lecture for the Boston Public Schools Pathways Program, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Cournoyer, A. B. (2009, November). Differentiated Instruction for Teachers of Critical Languages. Invited lecture for the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Teachers of Critical Languages Program Colloquium, Boston, Massachusetts.