- Ph.D. New York University
- M.S.Ed. Queens College, City of New York
- B.A. Queens College, City of New York
Professor Gaynor retired officially on June 30, 2013. His research, which continues, is fundamentally analytic in nature. One aspect of his work focuses on the systemic dynamics—in-school and out-of-school—that affect the differential achievement and attainment of students in school, college, and later life. Looking to the future, a second dominant interest is on the dynamics of poverty and on the interaction of social, psychological, political, legal, and economic factors that explain differences in national, regional, familial, and individual outcomes in the generation and accumulation of wealth.
Courses Taught (Past)
- SED AP761 Organizational Analysis (required for doctoral students in ATP)
- SED IE603 Project Analysis and Planning for International Educational Development (required for students in IEDP
- SED RS654 Foundations of Educational Inquiry (required for doctoral students in SED)
- SED AP702 Doctoral Research Colloquium (required for doctoral students in ATP)
- SED AP900 Independent Project Supervision
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe (2011-2012). Different Kids—How Typical Schools Are Built to Fail and Need to Change: A Structural Analysis. Boston University Journal of Education, Vol. 192, Numbers 2-3, 2011-2012, pp. 13-27.
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe (2011-2012). A Reflection on the Structural Analysis and the Case Study. Boston University Journal of Education, Vol. 192, Numbers 2-3, 2011-2012, pp. 31-32.
- Gaynor, Alan (Summer 2012). STELLA Model Indicates Strong School Leadership is Central to Closing Achievement Gap, The Connector, isee Systems.
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe. (System Dynamics Society 2012 Annual Conference, St. Gallen, Switzerland) Different Kids—How Typical Schools Are Built to Fail and Need to Change: A Structural Analysis. Poster Session.
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe (2012). The Racial, Ethnic, and Social Class Achievement Gaps: A Systems Analysis. International Education Studies, 5(1), February.
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe (AERA Annual Meeting, New Orleans, April 11, 2011). The Racial, Ethnic, and Social Class Achievement Gaps: A Systems Analysis. Paper presentation.
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe, and Boatman, Karen Marie (in process; available in electronic form). Planning for Development: Concepts and Tools
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe (1998). Analyzing Problems in Schools and School Systems: A Theoretical Approach. Hillsdale, NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Clauset, Karl H. Jr. and Gaynor, Alan K. (1992). Educational Policy Analysis: An Analysis of Effective and Ineffective Schools Using the System Dynamics Method. Analysis of Dynamic Psychological Systems, Vol. 2 New York: Plenum Publishing Corporation, 303-325.
- Gaynor, Alan Kibbe, and Evanson, Jane L. (1992). Project Planning: A Guide for Practitioners. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Nicolaides, Nitsa, and Gaynor, Alan K. (1989). The Knowledge Base Informing the Teaching of Administrative and Organizational Theory in UCEA Universities: A Descriptive and Interpretive Survey. Educational Administration Quarterly, 28(4).
- Clauset, Karl H., Jr., and Gaynor, Alan K. (1982). Effective Schooling: A System Perspective. Educational Leadership, December.
- Gaynor, Alan K. (1977). The Study of Change in Educational Organizations: A Review of the Literature. Educational Administration: The Developing Decades, Berkeley, CA: McCutchan.
Selected Professional Memberships
- American Educational Research Association
- Phi Delta Kappa
- System Dynamics Society
- Systems Thinking World
- Pi Lambda Theta
Selected University Service
- Chairman, SED Faculty Assembly (approx.1997-2010)
- Director, SED Human Resource Education Program (approx. 2004-2011)
- Chair, SED Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies (approx.1986-1997)
- SED Representative to the University Faculty Council (approx.1987-1995; 2010-2012)
- Major Advisor for 60 Competed Dissertations, 1975-Present