- Doctor of Philosophy. University of California – Santa Barbara, Counseling Psychology (APA Approved), 1990
- Master of Arts. University of California – Santa Barbara, Specialization: Marriage and Family Counseling, 1986
- Bachelor of Arts. University of California – Santa Barbara, 1983, Double Major: Experimental Psychology and Sociology, 1983
- Associate of Arts. West Valley Junior College, Major: Social Sciences, 1980
V. Scott Solberg, PhD is Associate Dean of Research at Boston University. Dr. Solberg is an active member in the Society for Vocational Psychology, a Section in Division 17 (Society for Counseling Psychology) of the American Psychological Association. He is also a member of International Association for Educational and Vocational Guidance, National Career Development Association and currently serves on the editorial boards of the Career Development Quarterly and an ad-hoc reviewer for the Journal of Vocational Behavior and Journal of Career Development. Dr. Solberg has published more than 40 professional articles, chapters, monographs and technical reports that focus on career development for youth including how to promote optimal youth development and college and career readiness through the use of individualized learning plans and resiliency-based curriculum. He has served in leadership roles with the Milwaukee Partnership Academy and Milwaukee Public Schools Small Schools reform movement and is author of Success Highways, a proven resiliency development curriculum for middle and high school students.
- Research Methods
- Psychological Applications to Improving Schools
- Essentials of Counseling
- Multicultural counseling
- Counseling Appraisal and Decision-Making
- Career Counseling
- Doctoral Seminar: Advanced Intervention Strategies
- Doctoral Practicum
- Urban Education
- Clinical Studies in Counseling
- Introduction to School Counseling
- Counseling in the Schools
- Counseling Theory
- Solberg, V. S., Budge, S., Phelps, L. A., Durham, J., Haakenson, J. F. & Timmons, J. (in press). The effectiveness of individualized learning plans in supporting preparation for making successful post-secondary transitions: Parent, teacher, and student perspectives. Journal of Career Development.
- Howard, K. A. S., Ferrari, L., Nota, L., Solberg, V. S. H., & Soresi, S. (2009). The Relation of Cultural Context and Social Relationships to Career Development in Middle School. Journal of Vocational Behavior.
- Close, W. and Solberg, V. S. H. (2008). Predicting achievement, distress, and retention among Lower Income Latino Youth. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 72, 31-42.
- Nota, L., Ferrari, L., Solberg, V. S. H., & Soresi, S. (2007). Career search self-efficacy, family support, and vocational decision-making: Replication and extension with Italian youth. Journal of Career Assessment, 15, 181-193.
- Solberg, V. S. H., Carlstrom, A. H., Howard, K.A.S. & Jones, J. E. (2007). Classifying youth at-risk for high school non-completion: Role of exposure to violence and resilience on 9th grade outcomes. Career Development Quarterly, 55, 313-327.
- Howard, K. A. & Solberg, V. S. (2006). School counseling as a method for achieving social justice. Professional School Counselor, 94, 278-294.
- Nota, L., Soresi, S., Solberg, S. H., & Ferrari, L (2005). Promoting Vocational Development: Methods of Intervention and Techniques Used in the Italian Context. International Association of Education and Vocational Guidance, 5, 271-279.
- Solberg, V. S. H. (2003). Exemplarian Action Research: Conducting Vocational Psychology in School Settings. Giornale Italiano Di Psycologia Dell’Orientamento, 5, 14-25.
- Solberg, V. S., Howard, K. A., Blustein, D. L. & Close, W. (2002). Career development in the schools: Connecting school to work to life. The Counseling Psychologist, 30, 705-725.
- Torres, J. B., Solberg, V. S. & Carlstrom, A H. (2002). The myth of sameness among Latino men and their machismo. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 72, 163-181.
- Torres, J. B. & Solberg, V. S. (2001) Role of Self-Efficacy, Stress, Social Integration, and Family Support in Latino College Student Persistence and Health. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 59, 53-63.
- Solberg, V. S., Gusavac, N., Hamann, T., Felch, J., et al., (1998). The Adaptive Success Identity Plan (ASIP): A career intervention for college students. The Career Development Quarterly, 47, 48-95.
- Solberg, V. S. H. (2010). Let us dream a dream together. Launch of the eCareers.sg Primary Portal, Singapore (Keynote Address).
- Solberg, V. S. H. (2009). Designing Career Guidance to Motivate and Prepare At-Risk Youth for Making Successful School to Work to Life Transitions. Youth Workforce Development Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. (Keynote Address).
- Solberg, V. S. H. (2009). The Promise of Educational and Career Guidance: Motivating At Risk Students to Aspire for their Future.
- Singapore Ministry of Education Careers Conference, Singapore. (Plenary Address).
- Solberg, V. S. H. (2004) “On the Shoulders of Giants:” Making Vocational Psychology Fit for Modern Times. Italy’s 6th National Congress on Vocational Guidance, University of Padova, Italy (Keynote Address).
- Solberg, V. S. H., Gresham, S., Phelps, L. A., Durham, J., & Haakenson, K. (August, 2010). Impact of exposure to quality learning experiences on career development. In V. S. H. Solberg (Symposium Chair) Study of context in career development research with youth populations. Paper presented at the 118th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, San Diego, CA.
- Solberg, V. S. H., Gresham, S., Phelps, L. A., Durham, J., & Haakenson, K. (August, 2010). Impact of learning experiences on students with disabilities career development. Poster session at the 118th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, San Diego, CA.
- Solberg, V. S., Gresham, S., Phelps, L. A. & Budge, S. (2010, April). Identifying Indecisive Decision-Making Patterns and Their Impact on Career Development and Workforce Readiness. Paper presented at the 2010 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Denver, CO.
- Budge, S. L., Solberg, V. S., Phelps, L. A., Haakenson, K. & Durham, J. (2010, April). Promising Practices for Implementing Individualized Learning Plans: Perspectives of Teachers, Parents, and Students. Paper presented at the 2010 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Denver, CO.
- Solberg, V. S., Howard, K. A. S., Gresham, S. & Phelps, L. A. (2010, April). Connecting Career Development and Workforce Readiness: Test of a Model With Students Receiving Special Education Services. Paper presented at the 2010 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Denver, CO.
- Solberg, V. S. (2010, February). The Emerging Role of STEMM Support Careers. Paper presented as part of the J. Miller and G Pearson symposium titled Tomorrow’s Scientists and Engineers at the 2010 Annual Meeting of he American Association for the Advancement of Science, San Diego, California.
- Solberg, V. S. H., Phelps, L. A., Timmons, J., Fitzgerald, J. & Haakenson, K. (August, 2009). Emancipatory Communitarianism: Facilitating optimal career development practice in schools. Paper presented at the 117th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Canada.
- East, C. & Solberg, V. S. H. (July, 2009). The individualized learning plan: a promising practice for career and workforce readiness. Presentation and demonstration at the National Career Development Association Conference, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Howard, K. A. S., Carlstrom, A. & Solberg, V. S. (2009). Predicting STEM Career Interests for Diverse Youth: The Role of Background & Contextual Factors. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Diego, California