- Ph.D. in Counseling from Stanford University, 1992
- M.Ed in Counseling from the University of Vermont, 1980
- B.A. Williams College, 1975
Dr. Hardin Coleman has spent his career as an educator focused on helping adolescents become effectively engaged citizens. After starting as a religion teacher, counselor, and coach at Quaker Schools in the Philadelphia area and a year teaching at the Shanghai Teachers University in China, Dr. Coleman earned his PhD in Counseling Psychology with a focus on multicultural counseling. He then spent 17 years at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where he trained school counselors, produced research on the role of cultural identity in student achievement, and rose to the position of Associate Dean of Outreach and Multicultural Initiatives in the School of Education.
Since 2008 he has served as Dean in the School of Education at Boston University. In his time at BU he has helped the school to focus on its role of using research to improve the practice of education, preparing educators who are leaders in their schools, and meeting the needs of practicing educators through effective professional development. Dr. Coleman is deeply involved in the improvement of educational opportunities within the Boston area through his service on the External Advisory Council on School Assignment as well as advisory board membership for EdVestors and FUEL – non-profits that are driving change in urban education. He is a Fellow in the Society of Counseling Psychology and has numerous publications. He celebrates 30 years of marriage with Gail Coleman and enjoys watching his sons Jesse and Aaron emerge as the next generation of Colemans engaged in education.
SED CE 737 Counseling Theory and Philosophy
- Casey-Cannon, Shannon L. , Coleman, Hardin L. K. , Knudtson, Laura F. and Velazquez, Carmen C. (2011) ‘Three Ethnic and Racial Identity Measures: Concurrent and Divergent Validity for Diverse Adolescents’,
Identity, 11: 1, 64 — 91
- Coleman, H.L.K., & Yeh, C.A., (2008) Handbook on School Counseling. Earlbaum Press, New Jersey.
- Coleman, H.L.K, Morris, D., & Norton, R.A. (2006). Developing multicultural counseling competence through the use of portfolios. Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development.
- Coleman, H.L.K. (2004). Toward a well-utilized partnership, The Counseling Psychologist, 32, 216-224.