Boston University School of Education mission:
The School of Education at Boston University is a diverse, scholarly community dedicated to serving education through teaching, scholarship, and outreach.
- We prepare professionals to lead in education, to practice social responsibility, and to exemplify intellectual curiosity.
- We conduct scholarship that advances knowledge and refines practice.
- We collaborate with local and global partners using education to forge more caring, just, and sustainable societies.
We are dedicated to preparing outstanding professional educators, producing research that improves the practice of education, and providing excellent professional support to our partners in the field. As a school, we provide comprehensive undergraduate and graduate programs. One of our strengths is that we are a small school of approximately 1,000 students within a large research University – we work hard to sustain a strong sense of community. Students and faculty get to know one another, and actively engage in discussion regarding the improvement of the education world from PreK-12 through higher education.
Our community members have access to all the resources of a major research university, including: faculty who are leaders in their field of study, libraries, laboratories, lectures, concerts, and an abundance of courses in a wide range of disciplines and professional fields. SED is located in the heart of Boston – one of the world’s greatest cities and the birthplace of public education in the United States, and are deeply engaged in the city, the region, as well as numerous international settings from London to Sydney and Quito.
The Boston University Educator’s Affirmation:
- I dedicate myself to the life of an educator, to laying the living foundations upon which successor generations must continue to build their lives.
- I dedicate myself to the advancement of learning, for I know that without it our successors will lack both the vision and the power to build well.
- I dedicate myself to the cultivation of character, for I know that humanity cannot flourish without courage, compassion, honesty, and trust.
- I commit myself to the advancement of my own learning and to the cultivation of my own character, for I know that I must bear witness in my own life to the ideals that I have dedicated myself to promote in others.
- In the presence of this gathering, I so dedicate and commit myself.
Written for the occasion of the April 24, 1989, School of Education Junior Pinning Ceremony by Dr. Steven Tigner.