As part of our expanding research program at SED, the Office of Research wanted to make you aware of the Pivot funding website (formally COS). Through Pivot you can search for funding, share opportunities with other researchers, and track your searches. As students, you are eligible to register for this site and use it throughout your careers as researchers.
Pivot uses existing publications to suggest funding opportunities. As students, you may already have been published, or you may be looking to fund your first research project. Pivot is a great resource for conducting funding searchers.
Below are step by step instructions for registering for Pivot and claiming your profile
1. Pivot can be found at: http://pivot.cos.com. If you have an existing COS account, you can login with that username and password. If this is your first time registering for Pivot or Cos, click “sign up” in the top right hand corner. When filling in the required fields, use your BU.EDU email address. Pivot members must be affiliated with a member institution, so it is important to use your BU email address.
2. You will be sent a confirmation email with a link. Click on the link to confirm your registration.
Claiming Your Profile
This is a simple, but important step in creating your ideal Pivot Profile.
- Upon logging in, you will be directed to your homepage. At the top right of the page should be your name. If your name is hyperlinked, your profile has already been claimed. If it has not been hyperlinked, when you click on your name a drop down menu will appear; click on “Claim Profile”.
- Upon clicking your name, Pivot will return a search of all the people in the database with the same name. So, if you have a common name, it may return multiple profiles. Another thing that might happen is if you have worked at multiple universities, you might have multiple profiles for yourself. It is important to click on your most current profile, i.e. the profile that lists you as a part of the Boston University community. PLEASE NOTE: if you have been published, you may not have an existing profile. Skip down to “Should your “Select your profile” search return 0 results” for the next steps.
Profiles are built via the open web, and are only as good as the information that is available on .edu websites. So, you may notice that only a few of your publications are listed. Don’t despair! Once your profile has been linked to your login you will receive a confirmation email (Pivot says it may take up to 7 days for this to occur, or you may receive an email immediately) you can upload a current CV with the information. There will be a webinar on this process in a few weeks.
You should receive a confirmation email in 5-7 days that indicates your profile has been claimed.
- on the left hand side of the screen, click on “suggest a scholar”
- Fill in your name and click “search”
- Fill in all mandatory fields
In a few days, log back into PIVOT and once again click on your name in the upper right hand corner. The drop down menu should appear, and once again click “claim profile”. This time, your profile should appear. Select the profile. PIVOT then asks to verify your BU email, and sends a confirmation to the BU email.
Thats it! You now have access to hundreds of thousands of funding opportunities.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Gaby Avery-Peck at averypgs (at) bu.edu.