5 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic bulb & 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
14.5 oz low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup white wine
1 – 2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 – 3 tsp oregano
~35 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp water
3 broccoli crowns, small florets
1 bunch fresh asparagus, 3-inch spears
1 medium tomato, chopped
1.3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, bite sized pieces
1 box (14 oz) whole wheat penne
2-4 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Boil 6 cups water in a large pot. 5 minutes before step #5, add penne. Cook until
al dente (firm to bite), ~ 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and
jalapeño peppers. Sauté until soft.
3. Add chicken pieces. Add chicken broth, white wine, and lemon juice. Simmer until
chicken is cooked.
4. Add crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt, oregano, and fresh basil. Stir in
cornstarch slurry to thicken.
5. Add tomatoes, asparagus, and broccoli. Cover. Cook ~ 4-5 minutes (vegetables
should be slightly crunchy.) Remove from heat.
6. Toss pasta and sauce together. Serve in bowls, garnish with fresh parsley.
Saturated fat: 2g
1 cup whole wheat penne
1 cup vegetables
3 oz chicken breast
Vegetarian alternative: Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and tofu for chicken.
*Special thanks to Dietetic Intern Maya Vadiveloo & Executive Chef Kim Hannon for creating this delicious recipe!