Sargent Advising Portal for Students
Welcome to the Sargent College Student Advising Portal! This information was developed by Sargent student focus groups in conjunction with the Undergraduate Education committee to help maximize your collaboration with advisors. The portal is here to help you:
- Make informed decisions
- Build meaningful networking and mentor relationships
- Effectively utilize the many resources available to you
- Develop autonomy
- Achieve your full potential
BU Undergraduate Academic Advising Mission Statement
Academic Advising is integral to the teaching mission of the University and engages students in a collaborative process to explore academic and co-curricular opportunities as part of a plan to realize academic, career, and life goals.
The learning outcomes for academic advising are a shared responsibility in each school and college. Through academic advising students will be able to:
- Articulate the intent of general education, school/college, and program requirements.
- Craft, execute, and continually assess a coherent educational plan, including post graduate options, based on assessment of abilities, aspirations, interests, and values.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the policies and procedures that guide progress to the degree.
- Identify and access campus resources and co-curricular opportunities to help reach educational, career, and life goals.
Putting Philosophy into Practice
Cultivating a productive relationship with your advisors is an essential component to helping you become confident making effective and independent choices. By initiating conversations that prompt you to think more deeply about your experiences, advisors can help provide the framework for you to develop the competencies to meet expectations and receive the assistance needed to achieve your goals.