Research / Research Administration

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who should be listed on the IRB application?

A. Anyone conducting human subjects research—recruiting subjects, consenting subjects, performing study-related procedures, analyzing data, and so forth—should be listed as a co-investigator.

Q. My student worked on a project at another institution and is now working on the analysis. I have nothing to do with the research. Does she need to send in an IRB application?

A. 1. No, if the results will NOT be used as part of her program requirements at BU.

2.  Yes, if the results WILL be used as part of her program requirements at BU.

Q. I am working with another institution that has an Authorization Agreement with BU. Can we use it for our research?

A. Unclear. Each study under the agreement may have to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Q. How do I find out if I can apply for exempt status?

A. Carefully read the forms describing research that qualifies for exemption. If you still have questions, check with the SAR/RRC chair.

Q. The participants in my study are children. I will be working on data that have already been collected. Can I apply for exempt status?

A. No. Exemptions do not apply to any research involving;

  • Pregnant women
  • Fetuses
  • Human in-vitro fertilization
  • Prisoners
  • Children