- Additional Titles:Programs in Nutrition
Director, Boston University Sargent Choice Nutrition Center, Department of Health Sciences, Programs in Nutrition
- Education:BSBA (Accounting and Management Information Systems), Nichols College
Didactic Program in Dietetics, Simmons College
MS Exercise Science, Boston University, College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College
DrPH (Social and Behavioral Sciences), Boston University, School of Public Health
- Website or Lab: Sargent Choice Nutrition Center
- Office:635 Commonwealth Ave
Health Matters Virtual Conference
Dr. Zawacki presents No Other University Offers This Course. Hosted by Boston University College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College, this presentation was a part of an online, virtual conference, “Health Matters,” which took place on September 17, 2015.
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Overweight and obesity prevention in college students;
- Disordered eating and eating disorders;
- Nutrition-focused, multi-level health promotion program development
- Diet-related risk factor management
- SARHS 395 Food, Supplements, and Consumer Health
- SARHS 396 Dietary Interventions and Public Health
The Sargent Choice Nutrition Center provides clinical learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in the following courses:
- SARHS 281 Nutrition throughout the Lifecycle
- SARHS 366 Community Nutrition
- SARHS 384/584 Medical Nutrition Therapy I
- SARHS 385/585 Medical Nutrition Therapy II
- SARHS 789 Theory and Practice of Clinical Counseling
- SARHS 811 Practicum: Nutrition
- SARHS 703 Field Experience in Nutrition (community and food service internship rotations)
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Latham NK, Harris BA, Bean JF, Heeran T, Goodyear C, Zawacki S, Heislein DM, Mustafa J, Pardasaney P, Giorgetti M, Holt N, Goehring L, Jette AM. Effect of a home-based exercise program on functional recovery following rehabilitation after hip fracture: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA J Am Med Assoc. 2014;311(7):700-708.
- Zawacki S. (October 2014). Nutrition Essentials for Parkinson’s Disease. Parkinson’s Support Network of Cape Cod. Orleans, MA.
- Hoover E., Berger S., DeAngelis T., Zawacki S., Ellis T., Carney A. (November 2013) An Intensive, Interprofessional, Community-Based Intervention Program for Persons Post-Stroke. American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine 90th Annual Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Zawacki, S. (April 2013). Women’s Health and Nutrition (Committee on Lectures and Cultural Events Invited Lecture). Wellesley College. Wellesley, MA.
- Zawacki S. (June 2012) Nutrition Essentials for Parkinson’s Disease. 17th Annual Winchester Parkinson Symposium. APDA MA Chapter, APDA Information & Referral Center at Boston University Medical Center. Winchester, MA.
- Zawacki S. (September 2010) Nutrition for the Active Individual. Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician. Boston University School of Medicine. Boston, MA.
- Ross M, Zawacki S, Lewis B, Leblanc C. (April 2009). Starting a New Eating Concerns Team: Year One. Collaborative Ways to Address Disordered Eating on Campus: It Takes a Village. 3rd Annual College Eating Disorders Conference. Cambridge, MA.
- Zawacki, S., Bowen, D. (May, 2008). A comprehensive program to prevent disordered eating, overweight and obesity at Boston University. Poster Presentation. International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. Banff, Alberta, Canada.
- Zawacki, S. (March, 2008). Nutritional considerations: Important information for your patients. A Parkinson’s disease seminar for health care professionals: Evidence-base concepts and current treatment approaches. Sargent College Center for Neurorehabilitation. Boston, MA.
- Books, A., Zawacki (Stimets), S. (March, 2007). Opportunities to improve nutrition knowledge, skills and practices. BU School of Medicine and Sargent College Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation 2007 challenge of promoting health in persons with serious mental illness conference. Cambridge, MA.
- Zawacki (Stimets), S. (August, 2004). Fostering healthy relationships with food. 2004 Office of Adolescent Pregnancy Programs care grantee conference. Atlanta, GA.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIH), “Randomized Controlled Trial of a Learning Collaborative to Implement Health Promotion in Mental Health,” Co-investigator.
- Health Promotion Research Center, “Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Demonstration Project: New Hampshire Medicaid Wellness Incentives Program.,” Co-Investigator.
- Health & Disability Research Institute, RO1, “Efficacy of a post-rehabilitation exercise intervention. Design and provision of attention-control nutrition education intervention for 5-year to assess functional outcomes in patients who have suffered a hip fracture following a home-based exercise program with cognitive behavioral strategies,” Co-Investigator.
- Department of Pediatrics and the Center for Women and Children of the UMass Memorial Health Care System, PI: Marianne Felice, Local care project expanding preexisting teen aged pregnancy program to include a comprehensive teen-tot clinic for teen aged mothers and their children at the University of Massachusetts Children’s Medical Center. Responsible for nutrition services for this five-year OPA/OAPP funded project, Consultant.
Awards and Honors
- Educational Achievement Award – 2006. Presented by the University of Massachusetts Medical School for outstanding achievements in medical education.
- Special Recognition Award – 2007. Presented by the Sargent College Alumni Association for outstanding contributions to humanity beyond professional responsibilities.
Licenses and Certification
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
- Licensed Dietitian (LD), Massachusetts
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Certificates in Training:
- Adult Weight Management
- Adult Weight Management, Level 2
- Childhood and Adolescent Weight Management