- Additional Titles:Director of Athletic Training Services
- Education:Bachelor of Science in Health Education, minor in Athletic Training, Appalachian State University, May 1983
Master of Science, Canisius College, May 1986
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Clinical education and non-orthopedic conditions
- HP 515 Practicum in Education
- HP 791 Clinical Experience I
- AT 504 Clinical Athletic Training III
- AT 505 Clinical Athletic Training IV
- HP 531Clinical Medicine I
- HP 532 Clinical Medicine II (General Medical)
- Co-Taught AT 356 Evaluation and Management of Orthopedic Injuries
- AT 525 Connecting Policy to Practice
- AT 432 Organization and Administration of Athletic Training
- AT 632 Healthcare Management and Quality Improvement
- Kroshus E, Baugh CM, Daneshvar DH, Stamm JM, Laursen RM, Austin SB. Pressure on sports medicine clinicians to prematurely return collegiate athletes to play after concussion. J Athl Train. 2015;50(9):944-951.
- Welch CE, Lam KC, Laursen RM. Paget-Von Schrötter syndrome in a nondominant arm: a case review. Athletic Training & Sports Healthcare. 2011;3(6).
- Welch CE, Van Lunen BL, Walker SE, Manspeaker SA, Hankemeier DA, Brown SD, Laursen RM, Onate JA. Evidence-based practice knowledge, comfort, and perceived importance levels of athletic training educators. Athl Train Educ J. 2011;6(1):5-14.
- Pecci M, Laursen RM. A shift in college sports medicine services under the umbrella of student health. The Official Newsletter of the America College Health Association. 2010;49(4):29.
- Laursen RM. A patient-centered model for delivery of athletic training services. Athletic Therapy Today. 2010;15(3):1-3.
- Dodge T, Walker S, Laursen RM. Promoting coherence in athletic training education programs. Athl Train Educ J. 2009;4(2):46-51.
- Strategic Issues in Athletic Training Lecture Series The Liability Toolkit, Boston, MA, January 2018
- Clinician-Research Partnership to Preserve Long-Term Wellness, Boston, MA, January 2018
- Indiana State University DAT Conference: Risk Management and Privileging, What Can Your Degree Do for You?, Morbidity and Mortality, and Grand Rounds, Indianapolis, IN, November 2017
- A Patient-Centered Care Culture for Physically Active Patients, San Antonio, TX, October 2017
- How the Medical Model for Patient Care Can Complement your Education Model, Tampa, FL, October 2017
- Employability of the AT Resident/Fellow, Residency and Fellowship Program Development Workshop, Tampa, FL, October, 2017.
- Practice Advancement for the Athletic Trainer in the Physician Practice, Panelist Discussion, Houston, TX, June 2017
- Member of Educator’s Conference Planning and Abstract Review Committee, Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association (EATA) (April 2017 – Present)
- Founding Board Member, Athletic Trainers in Physician Practice Society (ATPPS) (October 2017 – Present)
- Founding Member, Athletic Training Clinical Education Network (ATCEN) (July 2016 – Present)
- Member, Advisory Board The Secondary School Athletic Training Practice-Based Research Network (SSAT-PBRN), AT Still University (June 2010 – Present)
- Reviewer, Journal of Athletic Training (June 2009 – Present)
- President, Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) (March 2013 – August 2015)
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education Pete Keohneke Award for Leadership (2017)
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association Tim Kerin Award for Excellence (2017)
- College Athletic Trainers’ Society (CATS) Quality of Life Award (2016)
- National Athletic Trainer’ Association (NATA) Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer (2016)
- Journal of Athletic Training’s Clint Thompson Award for Clinical Practice Advancement, “Pressure on sports medicine clinicians to prematurely return collegiate athletes to play after concussion” (2016)
- Massachusetts Athletic Trainer of the Year (2013)
- Athletic Training Education Journal Outstanding Research Manuscript Award, “Evidence-based practice knowledge, comfort, and perceived importance levels of athletic training educators” (2011)
- NATA Athletic Trainers Service Award (2009)
- NATA Division I AA National Athletic Trainer of the Year (2007)
Licenses and Certifications
- MA Licensed Athletic Trainer
- BOC certification
View all profiles