- Education:BS in Physical Education, University of California, Davis, 1986
MS in Exercise Science, University of California, Davis, 1994
PhD in Nutrition, University of California, Davis, 1997
Postdoctoral training, Energy Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, 1997-1999
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Roles of eating patterns, dietary composition and their interaction effects on energy regulation; Physiological and psychological factors influencing energy balance; Improvement in dietary intake, physical activity and body composition assessment methods.
(* denotes lead/corresponding authorship)
- Yang X, Doulah A, Farooq M, Parton J, McCrory MA, Higgins JA, Sazonov E. Statistical models for meal- level estimation of mass and energy intake using features derived from video observation and a chewing sensor. Sci Reports 2019 Jan 10, 9:45. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-37161-
x. Epub 2019 Jan 10.
- Doulah A, Yang X, Parton J, Higgins J, McCrory MA, Sazonov E. The importance of field experiments in testing of sensors for dietary assessment and eating behavior monitoring. IEEE Explore: Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society July 2018: 5759-62. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8513623.
- Mott M, McCrory MA, Bandini L, Cabral HJ, Daniels SR, Singer MR, Moore LL. Egg intake has no adverse association with blood lipids or glucose in adolescent girls. J Amer Coll Nutr 2018 Oct 3. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2018.1469437. (Epub ahead of print).
- Martin AA, Davidson TL, McCrory MA. Deficits in episodic memory are related to uncontrolled eating in a sample of healthy adults. Appetite 2018 May 1;124:33-42. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2017.05.011. Epub 2017 May 4.
- Doulah A, Farooq M, Yang X, Parton J, McCrory MA, Higgins JA, Sazonov E. Meal microstructure characterization from sensor-based food intake detection. Front Nutr 2017 Jul 17;4:31. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2017.00031. eCollection 2017.
- McCrory MA*, Jaret CL, Kim J-H, Reitzes DL. Dietary patterns among Vietnamese and Hispanic immigrant elementary school children participating in an after school program. Nutrients 2017, 9(5), 460; doi:10.3390/nu9050460. (Special issue on Dietary Intake and Behavior in Children.)
- Amankwaah A, Sayer RD, Wright AJ, Chen N, McCrory MA, Campbell WW. Effects of higher dietary protein and fiber at breakfast on postprandial glucose, insulin, and 24-hour interstitial glucose in overweight adults. Nutrients 2017, 9, 352; doi:10.3390/nu9040352.
- Farooq M, McCrory MA, Sazonov E. Reduction of energy intake using just-in-time feedback from a wearable sensor system. Obesity 2017;25:676-81. doi: 10.1002/oby.21788. Epub 2017 Feb 24.
- Anguah KO-B, Lovejoy JC, Craig BA, Gehrke MM, Palmer PA, Food Choice, Ingestive Behavior and Sensation Eichelsdoerfer PE, McCrory MA*. Can the palatability of a healthy, satiety-promoting food increase with repeated exposure during weight loss? Foods 2017, 6(2), 16; doi:10.3390/foods6020016. (Special Issue on Food Choice, Ingestive Behavior and Sensation) Graphical abstract featured on cover.
- Sayer RD, Tamer GG Jr, Chen N, Tregellas JR, Cornier M-A, Kareken DA, Talavage TM, McCrory MA, Campbell WW. Reproducibility assessment of brain responses to visual food stimuli in adults with overweight and obesity. Obesity 2016;24:2057-63. doi: 10.1002/oby.21603.
- Dhillon J, Craig BA, Leidy HJ, Amankwaah AF, Anguah KO, Jacobs AG, Jones BL, Jones J, Keeler C, Keller CE, McCrory MA, Rivera RL, Slebodnik M, Mattes RD, Tucker RM. The effects of increased protein intake on fullness: a meta-analysis and its limitations. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016;116:968-83. pii: S2212-2672(16)00042-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2016.01.003.
- Sayer RD, Amankwaah AF, Tamer Jr GG, Chen N, Wright AJ, Tregellas JR, Cornier M-A, Karaken DA, Talavage TM, McCrory MA, Campbell WW. Effects of dietary protein and fiber at breakfast on appetite, ad libitum energy intake at lunch, and neural responses to visual food stimuli in overweight adults. Nutrients 2016, 8(1), 21; doi: 10.3390/nu8010021 (Special Issue on Food and Appetite).
- Anguah KO-B, Wonnell BS, Campbell WW, McCabe GP, McCrory MA*. A blended rather than whole lentil meal with or without α-galactosidase mildly increases healthy adults’ appetite but not their glycemic response. J Nutr 2014;144:1963-9.
- Banna J, McCrory MA, Fialkowski Revilla M, Boushey CJ. Examining plausibility of self-reported energy intake data: considerations for method selection. Frontiers in Nutrition, 25 September 2017, doi: 10.3389/fnut.2017.00045.
- McCrory MA, Shaw AC, Lee JA. Energy and nutrient timing for weight control: Does timing of ingestion matter? Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am 2016;45:689–718 (Invited Submission).
- Gletsu–Miller N and McCrory MA*. Modifying eating behavior: novel approaches for reducing body weight, preventing weight regain and reducing chronic disease risk. Adv Nutr 2014; 5(6):785-91. doi:10.3945/an.114006601
- McCrory MA*. Meal skipping and variables related to energy balance in adults: a brief review, with emphasis on the breakfast meal. Physiol Behav 2014;134:51-4.
Books and Monographs
- McCrory MA (Ed). Dietary Fibers and Human Health. Nov 2017, MDPI, 383 pages. ISBN 978-3-03842-581-6 (Pbk) ISBN 978-3-03842-582-3 (PDF) Open Access. (This book is a printed edition of the special issue “Dietary Fibers and Human Health” that was published in Nutrients, under CC BY-NC-ND license.)
- McCrory MA, Amankwaah AF, Sazonov E. Associations of carbohydrate quality (CQ) with daily interstitial glucose patterns in community-dwelling individuals: a pilot study. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Sazonov E, Doulah A, Higgins JA, Parton J, McCrory MA. Automatic Ingestion Monitor v2 (AIM-2) a device for detection of eating, passive capture of food images and energy intake estimation. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Mande A, Marden T, Jung S, Doulah S, McCrory MA, Sazonov E, Higgins J. A simplified, less expensive method to estimate energy intake from food images. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Marden T, Doulah S, McCrory MA, Sazonov E, Higgins J. Extraneous foods and images on serveware cause overestimation of energy intake from food images. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Sazonov E, Doulah A, Higgins JA, Parton J, McCrory MA. Detection of eating and passive capture of food images with the Automatic Ingestion Monitor v2. The Obesity Society (TOS) Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN, Nov 13-15 2018.
- Ho L, Roberts SB, Boushey CJ, Helvig A, Maroney OH, Sharma RS, McCrory MA. The timing of eating on weekends differs from weekdays but is not differently associated with weight status. Presented at the ASN annual meeting, Nutrition 2018, Boston, MA, June 2018. Finalist in Emerging Leaders Poster Competition/First Place Winner of Nutrition Chronobiology topical theme.
- Chen SJ, Maroney OH, Sharma RS, Boushey CJ, Roberts SB, McCrory MA. Relative associations of different dietary sugar types with adiposity in adults. Presented at the ASN annual meeting, Nutrition 2018, Boston, MA, June 2018.
- Helvig AW, Chasens ER, McCrory MA, Clark P. Impaired sleep and insulin resistance levels as risk factors in young adults. Presented at the American Diabetes Association 77th Scientific Sessions, San Diego, CA, Jun 9-13, 2017.
- K O-B Anguah, WW Campbell, GP McCabe, MA McCrory. Effects of lentil physical form and digestive enzyme availability on postprandial mood responses. Presented at EB2017; Chicago, IL, April 21-16, 2017. FASEB J 2017;31.
- Mar 2018: ‘Wearable Devices for Monitoring Energy Intake Across the Globe’, Automatic Dietary Monitoring 2018: The Grand Challenge from Lab to Real-Life Systems, workshop in conjunction with IEEE International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks (BSN 2018), Las Vegas, NV. March 4, 2018.
- Feb 2017: Science by the Pint. ‘Patterning Your Diet: The Science of Weight Loss.’ Sponsored by Science in the News (SITN) Boston, Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Aeronaut Brewery, Somerville, MA. Feb 23, 2017.
- Sept 2016: ‘Breakfast: Is “The Most Important Meal of the Day” Important for Weight Control?’ Department of Health Sciences, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Boston University. Sept 28, 2016.
- June 2016: ‘Breakfast, Morning Eating, and Obesity: Does When and How Much We Eat Matter?’ Center for Clinical and Molecular Nutrition, Emory University, Atlanta, GA. June 7, 2016.
- Feb 2016: ‘Energy and Nutrient Timing for Weight Control: Does Timing of Ingestion Matter?’ Boston University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine. Feb 9, 2016.
- 2018 Aug: Reuters Health via freelance journalist Carolyn Crist. Interview on dietary variety in the context of the new AHA science advisory on dietary diversity. “Focus on Variety Can Lead to Eating Too Many Unhealthy Foods.”
- 2017 Apr: Tufts Heath & Nutrition Letter. Interview on how one can learn to like healthful foods one doesn’t like (in response to our recent publication in the journal Foods (original research publication #74 above). Article appeared in the Jun 2017 issue in the News Bites section. “Don’t Like a Healthy Food? Try it Again (and Again).”
- 2017 Jan: Arthritis Today magazine. Interview on eating frequency and timing for weight control. Article appeared in May/June 2017 issue. Jan 5, 2017.
- 2015 Aug:FIRST for Women magazine. Interview on legumes and satiety. Emails Aug 24-Sept 1, 2015.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation/Imperial College, London: An Innovative Passive Dietary Monitoring System, Principal Investigator at BU/Co-investigator on project. The goal of this project is to develop and validate passive (automated) approaches to assess dietary intake in urban and rural-dwelling families in Ghana and Kenya.
- NIH-NIDDK/University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa: Assessing Food Intake with the Automatic Ingestion Monitor – Principal Investigator at BU/Co-Principal Investigator at BU. The goal of this study is to validate the Automatic Ingestion Monitor for estimation of food intake in laboratory and community settings.
Editorial Boards and Editorships
- 2018 Aug: co-Guest Editor, Nutrients, Special Issue “Sleep and Nutrition”
- 2018 Jan: Editorial Board, Nutrients
- 2017-2018: co-Guest Editor, Nutrients, Special Issue “Dietary Fiber in the Prevention and Management of Human Obesity and Chronic Diseases”
- 2016-2017: Guest Editor, Nutrients 2017, 9; doi:10.3390. Special Issue “Dietary Fibers and Human Health”
- 2015 Nov: Editorial Board, Advances in Nutrition
- 2014 May: Editorial Review Board, Frontiers in Nutrition
Awards and Honors
- Sept 2017: Research featured as graphical abstract on cover of Foods Feb 2017 special issue on Food Choice, Ingestive Behavior and Sensation.
- July 2015: Named “Outstanding Reviewer” by the journal Appetite
- 2014: Fellow, The Obesity Society
- 2010: Acorn award, Purdue University (for grants awarded over $1,000,000)
- 2003: ILSI North America Future (Nutrition) Leader
- American Society for Nutrition (ASN)
- Fellow, The Obesity Society (TOS)
- Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center (BNORC)