- Education:BS, Zoology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
MS, Interdisciplinary Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
PhD,Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- Office:635 Commonwealth Ave
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Childhood Obesity; Energy expenditure in children; Health promotion, dietary intake and physical activity in children with developmental disabilities.
- HS 742 Nutrition and Disease Prevention
- HS 775 Advanced Clinical Nutrition
- Wolf-Fordham S, Curtin C, Maslin M, Bandini L, Hamad CD. Emergency preparedness of families of children with developmental disabilities: What public health and safety emergency planners need to know. Am J Disaster Med. 2015 Winter;10(1):23-34.
- Bandini L, Danielson M, Esposito LE, Foley JT, Fox MH, Frey GC, Fleming RK, Krahn G, Must A, Porretta DL, Rodgers AB, Stanish H, Urv T, Vogel LC, Humphries K. Obesity in children with developmental and/or physical disabilities. Disabil Health J. 2015 Jul;8(3):309-16.
- Must A, Phillips S, Curtin C, Bandini LG. Barriers to Physical Activity in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders: Relationship to Physical Activity and Screen Time. J Phys Act Health. 2015 Apr 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stanish HI, Curtin C, Must A, Phillips S, Maslin M, Bandini LG. Physical Activity Enjoyment, Perceived Barriers, and Beliefs Among Adolescents With and Without Intellectual Disabilities. J Phys Act Health. 2015 Apr 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wolf-Fordham S, Curtin C, Maslin M, Bandini L, Hamad CD. Emergency preparedness of families of children with developmental disabilities: what public health and safety emergency planners need to know. J Emerg Manag. 2015 Jan-Feb;13(1):7-18. doi:
- Rimmer JH, Vanderbom KA, Bandini LG, Drum CE, Luken K, Suarez-Balcazar Y, Graham ID.GRAIDs: a framework for closing the gap in the availability of health promotion programs and interventions for people with disabilities. Implement Sci. 2014 Aug 14;9:100.
- Must A, Curtin C, Hubbard K, Sikich L, Bedford J, Bandini L. Obesity Prevention for Children with Developmental Disabilities. Curr Obes Rep. 2014 Jun;3(2):156-170.
- Hubbard KL, Anderson SE, Curtin C, Must A, Bandini LG. A Comparison of Food Refusal Related to Characteristics of Food in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Typically Developing Children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014 Jun 11. pii: S2212-2672(14)00460-2.
- Hubbard KL, Bandini LG, Folta SC, Wansink B, Must A. The Adaptation of a School-based Health Promotion Programme for Youth with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: A Community-Engaged Research Process. J Appl Res Intellect Disabil. 2014 Jun 3.
- Must A, Phillips SM, Curtin C, Anderson SE, Maslin M, Lividini K, Bandini LG. Comparison of sedentary behaviors between children with autism spectrum disorders and typically developing children. Autism. 2014 May;18(4):376-84.
- Curtin C, Jojic M, Bandini LG. Obesity in children with autism spectrum disorder. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2014 Mar-Apr;22(2):93-103.
- Hubbard KL, Bandini LG, Folta SC, Wansink B, Eliasziw M, Must A. Impact of a Smarter Lunchroom intervention on food selection and consumption among adolescents and young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in a residential school setting. Public Health Nutr. 2014 Mar 17:1-11.
- Bandini L, Lividini K, Phillips SM, Must A. Accuracy of the dietary reference intakes(DRI) for determining energy requirements in girls. Am J Clin Nutr 2013 ajcn.052233; First published online July 24, 2013. doi:10.3945/ajcn.112.052233
- Curtin C, Bandini LG, Must A, Gleason J, Lividini K, Phillips S, Eliasziw M, Maslin M, Fleming RK. Parent support improves weight loss in adolescents and young adults with Down syndrome. J Pediatr. 2013 Nov;163(5):1402-8.e1.
- Bandini, LG, Fleming RK, Scampini R, Gleason J, Must A. Is body mass index (BMI) a useful measure of excess body fatness in adolescents and young adults with Down syndrome? J Intellect Disabil Res. 2012 Sep 14. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2788.2012.01605.x. [Epub ahead of print]).
- Bandini LG, Gleason, J, Carol, C. Lividini K, Anderson SE, Cermak S, Maslin M, and Must A. Comparison of physical activity between children with autism spectrum disorders and typically developing children. Autism. 2013; 17: 44-54.
- Evans WH, Must A, Anderson SE, Curtin C, Scampini RS, Maslin M, Bandini LG. Dietary patterns and body mass index in children with autism and typically developing children. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2012; 6:399-405.
- Anderson, S. E., Must, A., Curtin, C., & Bandini, L. G. (2012). Meals in our household: Reliability and initial validation of a questionnaire to assess child mealtime behaviors and family mealtime environments. J Acad Nutr Diet 112(2), 276-284.
- Bandini LG, Anderson SE, Cermak S, Evans EW, Scampini R, Maslin M, Must A. Food Selectivity in children with autism spectrum disorders and typically developing children. J Pediatrics. 2010;157:259-64.
- Cermak, S, Curtin C. Bandini LG. Food selectivity and sensory sensitivity in children with autism spectrum disorders. J Am Dietetic Assoc 2010;110:238-246.
- Curtin C, Anderson S, Must A, Bandini LG. The prevalence of obesity in children with autism: a secondary data analysis using nationally representative data from the National Survey of Children’s Health”. BMC Pediatrics 2010;10:11.
- Pagoto, S. Curtin C, Bandini LG, Anderson A, Schneider L, Bodenlos J, Ma Y. Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity symptoms and weight loss during a hospital based weight loss program. Eating and Weight Disorders, 2010;15:e166-172.
- Must A, Barish EE, Bandini LG. Modifiable risk factors in relation to changes in BMI and fatness: What have we learned from prospective studies of school-aged children? Int J Obesity 2009; 33; 705-715.
- Bandini, L., Curtin, C., Fleming, R.K., Maslin, M., Scampini. R. (2013). Health U.: A Nutrition Curriculum for Teenagers with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. CreateSpace Independent Publishing.
- Health Resources and Services Administration, MCH, Diet, Feeding Practices and Obesity in Children with Intellectual Disabilities, Prinicpal Investigator.
- Health Resources and Services Administration, MCH, Research Network on Promoting Healthy Weight (HW-RN) among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and other Special Health Care Needs, Prinicipal Investigator.
- National Institute of Health, A Family-Based Weight Loss Intervention for Youth with Intellectual Disability, Co-Investigator.
- National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research, Obesity Disability and Rehabilitation Research Project, Chair, Nutrition Workgroup Funded by PI: Rimmer J.
Consulting and Professional Activities
- Associate Professor, Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center, UMASS Medical School, Department of Pediatrics.
- Director of Nutrition, LEND Program, Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center/UMASS Medical School, Waltham. Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (LEND)
- Advisory Board, Cotting School, Lexington, MA.
- Study section member, Scientific Review Board, NIH Psychosocial Risk and Disease Prevention, July 2007- June 2011.
Licenses and Certification
- Registered Dietitian (RD)