- Education:Bachelor of Science in Physical Education, Sports Medicine/Athletic Training concentration, University of Massachusetts at Boston, 1986
Master of Education in Instructional Design, University of Massachusetts at Boston, 1998
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Catastrophic Injuries & Emergency Management
- Organization & Administration of Athletic Training
- Leadership & Mentoring of Clinicians
- AT432 Organization and Administration of Athletic Training
- AT505 Clinical Athletic Training IV
- AT355 Prevention of Athletic Injuries and Illnesses
- AT357 Physical Agents
Venis LE, Laursen RM, Brown SD. The Use Of An Integrated Database To Manage An Athletic Training Education Program. Athletic Trainers Educators Conference (Proceedings), Dallas, TX, 2007.
- Athletic Trainers Educators’ Conference, Dallas, The Use Of An Integrated Database To Manage An Athletic Training Education Program, Venis LE, Laursen RM, Brown SD. 2007.
- College Athletic Trainers Society, Spring Symposium, Las Vegas, “Catastrophic Injuries and the Financial Impact.” 2006.
- Eastern Athletic Trainers Association, Annual Meeting, Boston, “Being on the Athlete’s Side of a Subdural Hematoma – An Athletic Trainer’s Experience.” 2005.
- Boston University Sargent College, Approved Clinical Instructors Workshop, Topic: Ethics. 2005.
- Boston University Sargent College, Approved Clinical Instructor Workshop, “The CourseInfo Site and Saving Trees: Paperless Documents.” 2003.
- Eastern Athletic Trainers Association, Annual Meeting, Providence, “Catastrophic Injuries: The Athletic Trainer’s Role After The Event”. 2007.
- College Athletic Trainers Society, Annual Meeting, Kansas City, “Catastrophic Insurance: Is the Current NCAA Policy Enough?” 1999.
- Athletic Trainer, Boston Marathon, Boston Athletic Association, Boston MA
- Medical Site Coordinator, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Women’s Ice Hockey Frozen Four National Championship Tournament, Boston MA, 2009
- Medical Site Coordinator, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Men’s Ice Hockey National Championship Tournament Committee, 1995 – 2006
- Northeast Regional, Worcester MA, 2006
- Northeast Regional, Worcester MA, 2005
- Frozen Four National Championship, Boston MA, 2004
- Northeast Regional, Worcester MA, 2003
- Northeast Regional, Worcester MA, 2002
- Northeast Regional, Worcester MA, 2001
- East Regional, Worcester MA, 1999
- Frozen Four National Championship, Boston MA, 1998
- East Regional, Worcester MA, 1997
- East Regional, Worcester MA, 1995
- Organizing Committee, Strategies for Strength & Conditioning and Therapeutic Exercise to Prevent Lumbopelvic Pain in the Athlete Symposium, Boston, MA, 1997
- Organizing Committee, Practical Application of McKenzie Spinal Concepts for Certified Athletic Trainers and Physical Therapists Symposium, Boston, MA, 1997
- Examiner, National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification, 1991-1994
- Secretary, Athletic Trainers’ of Massachusetts, 1992-1995
- Medical Coordinator, World Select 16 Hockey Tournament, Boston, MA, 1990
- Athletic Trainer, New England Pro-Am Hockey Satellite Training Program, Moscow, Russia, 1990
Awards and Honors
- Elected to the Athletic Trainers of Massachusetts Hall of Fame (2014)
- Athletic Trainers of Massachusetts, 20th Anniversary Service Award, Secretary, 2003
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association District 1, Unsung Athletic Trainer Award, 1996
Licenses and Certifications
- Board of Certification, Certified Athletic Trainer, #00010635, 1986-present.
- Massachusetts Board of Allied Health Professions, Licensed Athletic Trainer, License # 313, 1986- present.
- Boston University, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Approved Clinical Instructor, 1994-present.
- American Red Cross, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer